Military History/Questions Answered by Expert Francesco Marchesani

SubjectDate Asked
Sciabola da cavalleria9/3/2013
  Q: I am hoping you may recognize this sword or know what it was called.. the photo was taken around ...
  A: the sword (technically it's a sabre) shown in your picture is a Model 1871 cavalry sabre, used by ...
Italian Military uniform8/28/2013
  Q: Could you please help identify the era, branch and type of uniform. Picture is of my great uncle ...
  A: your picture shows an infantryman (there are no ranks on his uniform, so it's probably he was a ...
Military photo information8/11/2013
  Q: I am trying to confirm if a young man (pictured in attachments) is a relative of mine. Can you tell ...
  A: the uniform's appearance is compatible with the 7th Lancieri di Milano regiment during the late ...
holocaust5/11/2012
  Q: Do you know anything about the holocaust? I'm younger and have been reading about 6 million Jews ...
  A: the 6 million figure is, sadly, accurate, even though there are always persons who, for various ...
military helmet4/21/2012
  Q: trying to find out history on this helmet, have researched many websites and located many helmets ...
  A: your helmet looks like a French cuirassier helmet, probably model 1836. On the left side, those two ...
Military Uniform11/4/2011
  Q: I have attached a picture of my Great Grandfather, Silvio Rappo who born in 1862 in the province of ...
  A: the uniform worn by your great grandfather is the dress uniform of an infantry regiment during the ...
Ancient Military Uniform Dress11/9/2010
  Q: Could you please give me some information on these accessories to a dress uniform. I believe they ...
  A: I agree with you, these epaulettes (shoulder pieces) look Russian, as shown by the monogram N II ...
Rifles10/27/2010
  Q: Howdy- this may be out of your sphere, but you may have access to books I can neither find nor ...
  A: the Austrian Army in 1848 used the 1842M Augustin musket for the infantry, and the 1844M carabine ...
Close formations in ancient infantry10/19/2010
  Q: I know that there were different tactics used for infantry in Ancient times: that light infantry ...
  A: the advantages of a close formation are essentially two: protection and impact shock. Let's give a ...
Roman Armor10/5/2010
  Q: In the opening scene of the movie Gladiator i noticed that the soldiers are wearing a sort of ...
  A: Gladiator is a very interesting movie, even though it is often not very historically accurate; the ...
Can you help identify this uniform please11/7/2008
  Q: I have attached a photo of my great great grandfather (I think!) Peter Jurgenson. I have been ...
  A: the uniform is Russian, belonging to an infantry regiment's NCO or soldier; see these pictures for ...
miliatry history5/27/2008
  Q: who introduced the army service number? and who if anybody had number 1
  A: the use of dog tags was permitted by the US War Department in December 1906; subsequent regulations ...
military uniform5/17/2008
  Q: I have a 19th c. portrait of a young officer; dark green tunic with double breasted silver buttons & ...
  A: it's not easy to identify an uniform without a picture, however I would say it reminds me a Bavarian ...
Military 'V' / '>' Symbols2/18/2007
  Q: I am interested in the origins of the 'V' or '>' symbols used widely seen in the modern military. ...
  A: the chevron, as the V symbol is called, is an architectural term denoting the rafters of a roof ...
Military history11/9/2006
  Q: Do you know the history of the military uniform? When uniform used for the first time and what is ...
  A: There are a few recorded attempts at uniform dress in antiquity: one example is the Spanish infantry ...
Francesco, Hello. My question...10/8/2005
  Q: Francesco, Hello. My question is quite fundamental and quite silly I suppose. I was watching on ...
  A: actually of the 37 elephants Hannibal led from Spain to Italy, all but three died upon arriving in ...
Military History4/6/2005
  Q: Can you think of any examples of when a military force entered a country to protect the people of ...
  A: the most famous example that comes to mind, is the Gallic campaign of Julius Caesar, which started ...
Henry IV Abortive Crusade 11972/6/2005
  Q: I have run into a very confusing situation regarding two? different Henry's pertaining to the ...
  A: the Henry who died in 1197 in Messina is Henry VI (the 6th), Holy Roman Emperor, who married ...
Galleys11/1/2004
  Q: Upon reading about the history of the inquisition, I found out that sometimes people were sentenced ...
  A: sentence to serve in the galleys was applied to men only: the galley rowers were not slaves, but ...
evolution of european warfare10/17/2004
  Q: hey, my name is justin howard and i am in an AP European Histoy class at Eastlake High school in ...
  A: you csn email me your questions, I'll try and answer as fast as possible. I don't have any specific ...
IRWIN ROMMEL3/21/2004
  Q: I AM OF THE OPINION THE THE DESERT FOX WAS A MILITARY GENIOUS . BUT I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED IF HE ...
  A: I agree with you: I've always been fascinated by Rommel's military genius, tactical skills and ...
WWII - Italian Campaign3/11/2004
  Q: My father fought WWII with Gen. Clark's 5th Army in Italy. I have a list of all the cities his ...
  A: these websites describe two museums devoted to Gothic Line history: ...
New Caledonia2/25/2004
  Q: Do you know if and when New Caledonia will gain its independence?
  A: New Caledonia is a French Overseas department with a strong presence of French nationals (31%), and ...

All Questions in This Category

Military History

Francesco Marchesani

Top Expert on this page