Military History/Questions Answered by Expert LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard

SubjectDate Asked
Interview2/15/2017
  Q: on my topic which is World War 2 and I was Hoping that you could answer My following questions 1. ...
  A: First, I would like to apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I just returned from ...
Lt. General Johann Paul Sibilsky 1677-17632/4/2017
  Q: I am seeking any info re: colonel, captain, major general, lt. general Johann Paul Sibilsky - ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been out of the country. In response to your ...
WWII Armored Infantry Patrols1/11/2017
  Q: I recently listened to an audio interview with an Armored Infantry Rifleman who described an ...
  A: The TO and E of an armored infantry squad was eleven (11) men which included a squad leader and ...
1812 uniform question1/8/2017
  Q: Hoping to know a bit more about this uniform. We haven't been able to locate photos of similar ...
  A: He commanded the 52nd New York State Militia Regiment and that is the uniform that was worn by that ...
British West Indies Regiment - WW112/31/2016
  Q: Season's greetings to you. Before I begin, I'd like to thank you for being a volunteer on this site ...
  A: There is always the possibility that he worked with members of the British West Indies Regiment in ...
Queries re WW112/30/2016
  Q: I am interested as to why Russia was so easily defeated by Germany in WW1? After all, both Napoleon ...
  A: The Russians weren't defeated in World War I. The Bolsheviks sued for peace. Both the Germans and ...
Colonial History/W. Virginia12/21/2016
  Q: Greetings from one Expert to another. I am a writer and of course, researching. I need to know the ...
  A: Morris, The Ohio Country covered four (4) states at that time: Indiana, Ohio, ...
Prussian Military Records12/12/2016
  Q: I have a question about how to get information about whether a relative was part of a specific ...
  A: You can contact our own National Archives at nara.gov and ask for information on German Military ...
Query re possible outcomes in military alternate history11/23/2016
  Q: I am a fan of science fiction, particualrly of alternate history. Unfortunately, I do not like many ...
  A: I want to apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been out of the U.S. on government ...
Special Op. WW211/7/2016
  Q: A friends father served in WW2. His father never was seen without being fully clothed. One time he ...
  A: Your friend's friend could have served with any unit because they all did undergo some Escape and ...
WWII Task Forces8/15/2016
  Q: Having researched my Dad's Armored Division's history in WWII, I learned that his Division was ...
  A: Task Forces were temporary collections of units put together under one command for a specific ...
Fleet Marine Corps Device7/25/2016
  Q: Sir......I served with NMCB3 in Chu-Lai 1966. Our Battalion earned the "Battle E " for our efforts ...
  A: According to Wikipedia, NMCB-3 was awarded a Battle E but no reference is given but you can contact ...
Tracing Unit movement WWII ETO6/22/2016
  Q: I am trying find out the movements of H Company,379th Infantry Regt. 95th Infantry Division during ...
  A: Barger, You can locate the records of both the 95th Infantry Division and 379th ...
11th rep bn6/9/2016
  Q: LTC Lynn, my grandfather's DD214 and discharge paperwork list his unit as 11th rep bn. I cannot find ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been overseas on temporary duty and arrived ...
195th Ordance Depot Company5/9/2016
  Q: Mr. Horrell: My father was a Master Sargent in the 19th Ordnance Depot Company during WW2. I have ...
  A: CHIEF STOREKEEPER, RAILWAY (769) assists warehouse officer in supervising receipt, inspection, ...
1277 Engineer Combat Battalion5/4/2016
  Q: I recently cleaned out my dad's home. He served in the above captioned battalion from 1943=45. I ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but here is the answer to your question-you would ...
Wanting to know more about american soldiers equipment and training during WW2.4/25/2016
  Q: What was some of the basic equipment an american soldier would have during ww2? Roughly how long ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been on active duty for training and I just ...
My flight hours while in the U.S. Army4/8/2016
  Q: Sir, I would like to ask you a question and it may not be possible to answer it. I was a U.S. Army ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I was out of state taking care of my mother. In ...
6677th Disciplinary Training Center4/4/2016
  Q: a few years ago you answered a question regarding the military prison in Italy, known as the 6677th ...
  A: I don't have a copy of the article but I can give you the article from where I found it and it is on ...
War history3/26/2016
  Q: How did the kgb get such a legendary reputation and how do they compare with the cia.
  A: I apologize for not answering your question sooner but I've been out of the country on active duty. ...
Shoulder Patch3/7/2016
  Q: I found this shoulder patch in my now deceased husband's army career memorabilia. The patch is ...
  A: Wolverton, Many unit patches were produced locally in the countries where U.S. ...
Prussia Military3/1/2016
  Q: I have a 3 part question about Prussia military. 1) What were the Prussian Military ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner and here is the answer to your questions: You can ...
707 military police2/23/2016
  Q: I recently read one of your questions and answers stating if there is a bronze arrow near the word ...
  A: You are referring to the old discharge form WD Form 53 and Box 26 refers to Selective Service Data ...
327th Glider Infantry ( USA Army ) ww22/23/2016
  Q: I would like to ask a question concerning information on discharge papers. They state the person was ...
  A: The 327th Glider Infantry Regiment was part of the 101st Airborne Division. The division only had a ...
CIB / BSM question WWII2/22/2016
  Q: 1. When CIB's were awarded during WWII, I was wondering please at which command level the initial ...
  A: Sorry for the delay and here is the answer to your questions: The CIB was instituted during World ...
WW22/12/2016
  Q: Sir, I was wondering if you knew where to find the unit history for 455th Antiaircraft Artillery BN ...
  A: The 455th AAA Automatic Weapons Battalion (Mobile) was formed on 1 September 1942 at Camp Stewart, ...
Squad creation question12/31/2015
  Q: Happy New Year Colonel, My Dad did his advanced training at Camp Campbell before heading over to ...
  A: Happy New Years to you as well. His rifle squad would have formed up prior to going overseas. ...
Help identify ww1 uniform12/17/2015
  Q: Good evening! I was recently given an old military uniform. From what little I was told its from ...
  A: First, let me apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been away on an extended trip ...
Genius Hour Project12/1/2015
  Q: 1.) How are the countries Germany and Greece getting along? 2.) Why did Hitler want to take over ...
  A: Brogan, Here are the answers to your questions: 1. Both Germany and Greece are on ...
Unit information-Location duringWW2, Patches11/19/2015
  Q: My father served in the Army during WWII. His separation papers indicate he was with the 233rd Anti ...
  A: Pettigrew, Here is the information you requested: This unit was formed on 20 ...
General Patton11/13/2015
  Q: I heard that General Patton made a remark about what a great job the OSS agents did to prepare for ...
  A: First, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I have been out of the country on personal ...
Tank School WWII question10/28/2015
  Q: When tank training was completed at Ft Knox during WWII, were tank crewman then assigned MOS's at ...
  A: The Fort Knox Armored Force Replacement Training Center assigned its trainees according to their ...
awards, citations,medals, etc.10/22/2015
  Q: sir,i was stationed at da nang a.b.,south Vietnam with 1st maw,mag-11.I was with vmfaw-232 from ...
  A: Here is the information you requested: 1st Marine Aircraft Wing PUC 05/11/1967 to 09/15/1967 MAG ...
Reenlistment question10/15/2015
  Q: My father entered the service in October of 1943, went to the ETO and was discharged in December of ...
  A: You are talking about two different topics. The ASRS or Advanced Service Rating System was used by ...
Thirty Years War10/13/2015
  Q: Robert, Hello again. I have a tough one, I am Looking for the Uniform Colors of Hessian Infantry in ...
  A: Hesse had some uniforms that were dark blue with red stocking and possibly red or silver cuffs, ...
Casualties of War 18059/19/2015
  Q: While doing genealogical research, I found a documented letter stating that my great, great, great, ...
  A: The post-Revolutionary War Period (1781-1811) was characterized by various Indian campaigns, ...
Battle of Pollilur 17819/18/2015
  Q: My Question is about the Battle of Pollilur 1781 not 1780. Wikipedia gives a Very Brief Description. ...
  A: Please type in your search engine the following: archive.org/details/lifeoflieutenantOOwyll This ...
1643rd Engineer Utility Detachment, Camp Sutton, NC9/8/2015
  Q: My Grandfather served with the 1643rd Engineer Utility Detachment, Camp Sutton, N.C. Where can I ...
  A: Here is the information you requested: *Unit Patch and Insignia Contact the U.S. Army Institute of ...
U S Military Stick Pin ID9/3/2015
  Q: I believe the stick pin in the image provided is from WWII US Army, Can you please verify this type ...
  A: After World War II had ended, many veterans of the U.S. military had stick pins specifically made at ...
495 m.p. Escort guard8/28/2015
  Q: Good evening, I found a piece of leather about the size of a table place mat. It has 495 M.P. Escort ...
  A: The following information is given below: *Unit Operational Records, 1917-1975 Archives II Textual ...
Grandfather's WWII Discharge8/23/2015
  Q: I need help deciphering my grandfather's discharge letter. He passed away before I was born, and I ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions: *C Company, 802nd Aviation Engineer Battalion was formed on ...
DOG TAGS8/17/2015
  Q: I found my grandfather's dog tags and can't get any solid info as to what the "30A" (serial #?) ...
  A: The #30A refers to Army General Order 30 which was dated when he was a flying cadet. He would have ...
CIB award date8/14/2015
  Q: I received a copy of my Dad's retroactive BSM document. It shows a date of April 25, 1945 for his ...
  A: It could be that it was a paperwork error with the BSM or that the letter of recommendation was ...
WWII - Squad question8/4/2015
  Q: I've been doing some research on my Dad's ETO service which lead me to study the TO&E for a typical ...
  A: The soldiers did stay in the same squad unless they were promoted to a certain rank or was wounded. ...
U.S. Army WWII service ribbons8/2/2015
  Q: Sir, First, thank you for your service to our country. I am seeking help to confirm and ID the ...
  A: I want to apologize for not getting back to you sooner but here are the answers to your questions: ...
Civil War Enlistment Age7/28/2015
  Q: My question is: What is the minimum age a recruit had to be to join a state-run unit during the ...
  A: The minimum age for both state and Federal soldiers was 18 with 16 for musicians. Any soldier ...
info on my father6/25/2015
  Q: My father went to O.C.S. at what he called "Benning School for Boys" in 1942 and in 1943 was a First ...
  A: Noonan, I did look up all U.S. Army infantry battalions but was unable to locate any ...
WWII Armored Infantry in ETO6/20/2015
  Q: Lynn, Rich Mintz here in CA, referred by my buddy James Davis, who's corresponded with you often. ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I have been out of the U.S. on active duty. Here ...
460th AAA bty D6/15/2015
  Q: My brother was in this unit. He would not talk about it. gave him nightmares for days . I here ...
  A: The 460th AAA Automatic Weapons Battalion (Mobile) was formed on 1 September 1942 at Camp Hulen, ...
photo 31 Jan 19446/13/2015
  Q: I found a photo of Detachment Corps Military Police,Savanna Ordnance Depot, Proving ...
  A: To get what units were stationed at Savanna Ordnance Depot, you can contact the U.S. Army Center Of ...
Honorable Discharge / MOS question6/8/2015
  Q: Good Morning Robert, When you have a moment please, I have a question regarding the MOS codes shown ...
  A: Davis, It was his Service Record which was AGO Form 24. This was a multi-page booklet ...
father, colliver gay5/27/2015
  Q: Sir, my father was Colliver Gay who served with the 335 as did Thomas's father is there any known ...
  A: Gay, The 335th Infantry Regiment, 84th Infantry "Lincoln's Own" Division during World ...
WWII - multiple MOS's5/26/2015
  Q: I really appreciate your help :) When my Dad served in WWII, he was in an armored infantry ...
  A: No, your father could have been assigned to the Assault Gun Platoon not only within his own ...
US Marine Patch5/21/2015
  Q: I am making a shadow box for a falling Vets family and am trying to find a patch. It has 5 Seahorses ...
  A: First, the five seahorses represent the 5th Marines and second, the seahorse symbolizes strength and ...
Honorable Discharge document question5/21/2015
  Q: First of all, thanks for all of your help on this website, you've been a great help to many :) My ...
  A: SCU refers to Service Command Unit and in your father's case, he is awaiting another assignment, ...
Failing OCS during World War 25/13/2015
  Q: I have been looking around the internet, but haven't been able to find an answer to my question. ...
  A: First, I would like to apologize for not getting back to you sooner but here is what I was able to ...
WW1 359th Infantry Regiment, H Company Battle Info5/10/2015
  Q: My relative was in the 359th infantry regiment, H company. He reported to Camp Travis in San Antonio ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I have been out of town on military orders. You ...
Ammunition for Cannon with Explosive Projectiles4/12/2015
  Q: I found an old military box. The top has Ammunition for Cannon with Explosive Projectiles on it. ...
  A: From the information you have provided, it is a box of ammunition for a Vietnam War 105mm howitzer. ...
1-118th infantry wwii4/7/2015
  Q: "Dear Mr Lynn, I am looking to find my fathers service in wwii.  He was with 1-118th infantry ...
  A: Evans, The 118th Infantry Regiment (Separate) of the South Carolina National Guard ...
Bronze star device3/31/2015
  Q: Sir----I was in the Marine Corps with 1st Maw Mag-12 in Chu Lai from "66" to May of "68". Can You ...
  A: You rate five (5) bronze star devices which equals one (1) silver star device for the following ...
American Soldiers Killed By German Soldiers,after Germany Surrendered3/19/2015
  Q: My question is,how many American soldiers were killed by German soldiers,after Germany ...
  A: Here is the information you requested: *July, 1945-2 British soldiers killed. *December, 1945-2 ...
Collar Device Identification3/18/2015
  Q: I recently received two (2) collar devices. They both are crossed rifles. Both are clutchback. Both ...
  A: After checking my sources, both of these are pre-World War II U.S. Army infantry collar devices worn ...
lost dog tag found3/16/2015
  Q: Name: Tucker, J.L. Service Number: 2108697 Blood Type: O Branch: USMC Gas Mask Size: S Religion: ...
  A: Houlden, Here is the information you requested: *Contact the following-U.S. Marine ...
Emperor of Japan3/13/2015
  Q: Was the Emperor of Japan on the deck of the USS Missouri when the Japanese signed the surrender ...
  A: No, Emperor Hirohito wasn't there. The following Japanese officials were present: *Acting and ...
WWII3/12/2015
  Q: I am trying to find information on my Dad when he was in WWII. I have his Enlistment and Discharge ...
  A: That is the 26th Infantry Division. It is a Massachusetts National Guard unit and is called the ...
Political parties and Congress3/10/2015
  Q: When was the last time - if ever! - that a US President's party had a majority in both parts of ...
  A: Those years would be 1961-1967 in which the presidents were Kennedy and Johnson and the Democratic ...
military history WW I3/6/2015
  Q: I'm researching my Grandfather, George J. Wheeler, Jr. who served with 112th Engineers from May ...
  A: The 112th Engineers was attached to the 37th Infantry Division (which was a National Guard division) ...
my grandfather's military service3/5/2015
  Q: This is what's on my Grandfather's Enlisted Record and Record of Seperation Honorable Discharge Name ...
  A: Here are the answers you requested: *Box 2-Army Serial Number and RA means Regular Army. *Box ...
Nuclear sub captains in the British navy3/3/2015
  Q: I know we have 4 Trident submarines, so how many men do we have who are allowed to command them? ...
  A: The word "allowed" should be "qualified" to command one of the four Trident submarines. That number ...
unit awards vietnam3/3/2015
  Q: Sir---I'm asking a question for a friend. He was in vietnam from Jan.'66' to Jan.'67' with 3/3, the ...
  A: The only award he rates is a PUC for the dates 12 May 1965 to 30 August 1966 and 27 October 1966 to ...
Marine Vietnam citations3/1/2015
  Q: Sir---I was in Nam from "66 to "68 with 1st Maw Mag-12 @ Chu Lai. Could you please tell me of all ...
  A: Here are the answer to your questions: *According NAVMC 2522 dated 10 January 2012, MAG-12, 1st MAW ...
The top officers in the Navy2/24/2015
  Q: Hope you're keeping well...here's my first question for 2015: In the British Navy, how many ...
  A: The British Vanguard-class submarine and U.S. Trident system replaced the Polaris system in ...
Sparta2/23/2015
  Q: I am curious as to the age Spartan boys were taken from their homes and family life to begin ...
  A: Spartan boys were trained in three stages: *1st Stage-6/7 years old to 17. *2nd Stage-17 years to ...
ID Japanese Submarine2/14/2015
  Q: I have a few WWII era photographs and on the back of this one is written: here's a jap sub. Would ...
  A: This is a 2-man Japanese mini-submarine of the Type A Ko-hyoteki Class. It has members of a U.S. ...
How come the Allied didn't try to stop the Holocaust?2/1/2015
  Q: Why did the Allied forces sit on their asses and let the Holocaust go on? I mean like I'd wager they ...
  A: There has been much confusion over who knew what and when they did know it but looking at all the ...
Records1/21/2015
  Q: I was hoping you could help me out my grandmother recently passed away and I know nothing on my ...
  A: Vinson, You can go to the following: ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00079931/00168-UFDC Home-All ...
Unit on ATTU1/21/2015
  Q: According to our dads discharge papers, he was with the 355 Infantry Company B on Attu during WWII. ...
  A: The 355th Infantry Regiment was never stationed on Attu but it was one of the units in the 89th ...
Weapons Qualification Bar + more1/20/2015
  Q: LTC Lynn: Good Afternoon. I am assembling a framed tribute for my father-in-law, but I am in need ...
  A: Here's what I've been able to decipher: In the World War II U.S. Army, there were the following ...
Project NAN 11291/16/2015
  Q: Tec 4 (649 SK) my father, C Squadron “B” 411th AAF Base, was transferred to CO AAF ORD, Kearns, ...
  A: ORD is the acronym for Overseas Replacement Depot and U.S. Army Air Force Base Kearns, Utah was a ...
38th US Infantry Regiment WWI1/14/2015
  Q: I am trying to find records of the 38th US Infantry regiment's service in War I. Regiment received ...
  A: Justice, According to the date you gave, the 38th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry ...
Why can't I see the missile?10/1/2014
  Q: Please go to the following link to a video of an RAF Tornado destroying an IS vehicle: ...
  A: You can't see the missile due to the poor resolution quality in regard to You Tube. There are so ...
20th Armored Division / My Father Stanley Davis9/18/2014
  Q: I’m the son of a 20th Armored Division - 65th Armored Infantry Battalion - veteran, Stanley H. ...
  A: Davis, The armored infantry regiments were designed to provide the new armored ...
Co. M, 38th Regt., 2nd Div. WWII9/17/2014
  Q: Col. Lynn: My father's records were destroyed in the 1960's fire at St. Louis Records Center. My ...
  A: The fire you mention happened in 1973 not the 1960s. The 2nd Infantry Division left New York on 8 ...
Military History8/31/2014
  Q: Need to know the total number of Marine KIA's in Viet Nam just in I Corps for 1968. Thanks. Jack
  A: In 1968, the U.S. Marine KIA for each province in I Corps is listed below: Quang Tri-5,072 Enlisted ...
Toynbee and the Royal Institute of Internation Affairs8/28/2014
  Q: I'm sure you've heard of Arnold Toynbee, who wrote the famous A STUDY OF HISTORY. Well, for many ...
  A: The Royal Institute of International Affairs or Chatham House is a think tank located in London, ...
Civilian transportation to Hawaii during/after WW28/20/2014
  Q: Colonel Lynn: I have recently read that, because of the martial law imposed on the islands in WW2, ...
  A: Hessert, Martial law was declared in 1941 and continued up to 1944. The military ...
Military History - Stone cannon balls in America8/19/2014
  Q: I have a friend whose grandson found an almost perfectly round granite ball somewhere in ...
  A: Stone cannon balls were used up to the Civil War and acted like the fragmentation grenades of today. ...
Great Expectations8/19/2014
  Q: Can you do a question on Charles Dickens? I know it's not the usual sort of thing I send you, but... ...
  A: This is false. Once the convict had completed his/her term, they were issued a certificate of ...
early British navy8/13/2014
  Q: I'm writing a sci-fi story involving an alternate universe. In this story, my main character was ...
  A: He would have been placed under arrest and then placed in the brig on the same ship he had served. ...
What's a General?8/9/2014
  Q: .. A nice easy one for you this time: 1/ What exactly is a "General" in the army? Is it short for ...
  A: The term general is used in two ways: as the generic title for all grades of general officers and as ...
Dai Do8/5/2014
  Q: At the Battle of Dai Do in Viet Nam (Apr 30-May 2, 1968), Prov Corps committed an Army Co/Bn ~ May ...
  A: You can contact the following organizations: *U.S. Marine Corps History and Reference Center ...
PUC8/5/2014
  Q: Army Prov Corps (CG was an Army 2 star and his deputy was Marine MGen Ray Davis) supported Marine ...
  A: The Provisional Corps Vietnam was originally MACV Forward and the Provisional Corps Vietnam became ...
Titles after leaving the British army8/4/2014
  Q: I'm sure I read somewhere, but I can't remember where, that when an officer leaves the British army ...
  A: Here are answers to your questions: 1. This is true. 2. To award the soldier the proper ...
Definitions of officer7/19/2014
  Q: 1/ What exactly is an "officer" in the armed forces? 2/ What is a "commision"? 3/ What is a ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions: 1. An officer is a member of an armed force or uniformed ...
WWII 733rd ROB7/3/2014
  Q: My grandfather was part of the 733rd Railway Operating Battalion and I would like to find more ...
  A: The 733rd Railway Operating Battalion (Transportation Corps) was formed on 23 November 1943 in New ...
Question about Hitler in the newsreels6/28/2014
  Q: Hope you are keeping well and here is another question about the Fuhrer...I did ask you this on ...
  A: Hello Paul and here are your answers: 1. Yes, they could see Hilter in the newsreels. 2. Yes, the ...
ammunition box6/23/2014
  Q: I have a ammunition wooden box, with a rope handle on top, its says ammunition for cannon with ...
  A: The box contained M525 PD Fuses for 81mm mortars as well as M43A1 High Explosive ammunition. The ...
info about crew members6/11/2014
  Q: trying to find out more info. my dad and the crew of the B-24 that got shot down on 02-27-1945 plane ...
  A: Muise, You can contact the U.S. Air Force Historical Research Center at Maxwell Air ...
What era is this uniform?6/8/2014
  Q: I am trying to date this photograph. I am not sure who it is, but it is someone in my family that ...
  A: By the photograph, I can tell you that it is of a pre-War Between The States uniform worn by many ...
Metz/Fort Jeanne d'Arc6/6/2014
  Q: My uncle,Staff Sgt. Martin T. Rasmussen, was killed in France on 11/14/44. He was with the 379th ...
  A: Your uncle was killed in action while attacking one of the forts that defended Metz-the Seven Dwarfs ...
mag 12 viet nam6/5/2014
  Q: unit citations I know we got presidential unit citation and navy unit citation I read that we had ...
  A: Santoyo, Here is the list of unit citations for MAG-12 from NAVMC 2922 dated 10 ...
World War II6/3/2014
  Q: Sir. First of all thank you for your service. I had an uncle who served in the Pacific area. ...
  A: The 753rd AAA Gun Battalion (Semi-Mobile) was formed in Hawaii on 12 December 1943 from the 2nd ...
Battleship Discharges5/29/2014
  Q: My father recieved a Battleship Discharge after WWII. I was wanting to know if you could tell me how ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I did contact the U.S. Navy Historical Division ...
1st Lt James H. Shaw Jr.5/19/2014
  Q: my father was in Pattons 3rd Army (DOB 10/23/1923...Cartersville Ga.He was awarded the Bronze Star ...
  A: Shaw, You can request the MR's or Morning Reports in the unit he was serving with from ...
NAVAL SHIPS5/13/2014
  Q: I would be most appreciative if you could supply me with information concerning the following ...
  A: The following information is provided: *SS Cape Flattery was built as a Liberty ship by Todd ...
military awards and citations for my father5/12/2014
  Q: First and foremost- thank you for your service to our country and for reading my communication. I ...
  A: Warnell, I recently researched your request and would suggest you wait until you ...
The History of Japense Military4/24/2014
  Q: I am writing a essay for my Honors World History class, and I just had a few questions concerning ...
  A: You can date this aggressive behavior back to when Japan embarked on the goal of becoming a modern ...
202nd HQ battery AAA battalion WWII movements4/23/2014
  Q: I am trying to trace the movements of the above unit during their time in the South Pacific during ...
  A: The actual unit is the 202nd AAA Automatic Weapons Battalion (Semi-Mobile) and it was formed on 20 ...
Grant and sherman civil war4/15/2014
  Q: Was Sherman ranked higher than Grant in the civil war?
  A: No and here are their ranks during The War Between The States: *Grant-Lt. General with date of rank ...
Hitler's secretaries & Traudl Jung4/14/2014
  Q: hope you're keeping well! As you know, Rudolf Hess was one of Hitler's secretaries, to whom he ...
  A: Glad to hear from you Paul and here are the answers to your three questions: 1. Hitler had ...
Palestine 1945/484/14/2014
  Q: Don't know where you got your figures on British dead in Palestine 1945/48, but they are wrong. True ...
  A: I went back and again checked after I had opened the ones that I had answered where it had stated ...
lynn,s in ww14/13/2014
  Q: hi have you ever looked up your ancestors named lynn serving in ww1
  A: The Lynn name is from my father's side of the family. His side never had anyone serve in the U.S. ...
5th Engr Reg. 1276Combat Engrs3/31/2014
  Q: I served in the mentioned unit 1943 through 1945, but my Army records I understand were destroyed in ...
  A: You can request your unit's records by sending an E-Mail to this address: ...
Pvt Cleo G. West 504th PIR Co D3/20/2014
  Q: Where do I go to find information (jump rosters) on a Pvt. Cleo G. West of Company D, 504th PIR in ...
  A: You would be able to find this information out from contacting the National Archives and Records ...
386th Infantry Regiment--WWII2/25/2014
  Q: I am trying to find either their DUI or a picture of their patch. It has a moose and motto "Nia ...
  A: Costa, You can obtain a drawing of the 386th Infantry Regiment's patch from Captain ...
Japanese War Crime Trials2/18/2014
  Q: I have Court transcripts, documents and evidence exhibits of the Japanese Generals and Officers for ...
  A: I wouldn't know the value of this material but if this material is original, my guess is that it ...
Radar Observer-Mechanic2/6/2014
  Q: That's for answering my previous question, but I know what the description of duties were for a ...
  A: You will need to go to your search engine and type in the following: Army MOS Code Index TM 12-427 ...
WWII Army Air Corp1/24/2014
  Q: My Father was a radar observer-mechanic Bombardment 2765 assigned to the 494th. What would a person ...
  A: The radar/observer duties and descriptions can be found at the following two web sites: ...
Location in Paris of 604th Ordinance Depot on VE day1/19/2014
  Q: My dad was stationed at the 604th Ordnance depot outside Paris on VE Day. Do you know the location? ...
  A: I've located the following information in regard to your*http://www.carlisle.army.mil/ahec/index.cfm ...
359th Inf Reg (WWI)1/4/2014
  Q: LTC Lynn, My grandfather was with the 359th as a Master Sergeant, First Sergeant, and Regimental ...
  A: In response to your question sir, no I'm not related to an Al Lynn. I'm sorry about that but I would ...
Bronze Stars12/26/2013
  Q: I appreciate any information or any possibly other leads you can offer. Thank you in advance Chad ...
  A: You can go to 83rdinfdivdocs.org and they will have a list of the following documents in regard to ...
WW2 soldier info12/19/2013
  Q: Col.Lynn I'm trying to help my niece with some personal info on her father in law's service in the ...
  A: The first place you should attempt to go is the U.S. National Archives and Record Administration in ...
War of 181212/18/2013
  Q: I am trying to locate casualty lists for the War of 1812, specifically of American soldiers from VA ...
  A: You can go to the following sites: *The Library Of Virginia Soldiers Of The War Of 1812 ...
question about the US III army corps10/16/2013
  Q: my name is Veli-Matti Kivisalmi and I´m from Finland, northern Europe and i have a littele promblem ...
  A: Veli-Matti, You can contact the U.S. Army Center of Military History at ...
357 regt machine gun company 19189/15/2013
  Q: I have a helmet and canteen dated 1918 with a T.O on it in red superimposed inside is sgt j.j.c 357 ...
  A: The "T" and "O" represented the initials from the states of Oklahoma and Texas where the first ...
WW II MOS9/12/2013
  Q: Sir; My late Father served in the Army in WWII. He was a buck Sergeant, and his MOS according to his ...
  A: Look at the current TM 12-427 dated 12 July 1944 and look in Appendix 1 at the bottom of the page ...
151Lt truck company reunion long binh9/12/2013
  Q: Robert,I just read your inquiry about the 151 in long binh.Did you ever have a reunion?I know you ...
  A: I didn't join All Experts until 2010 and I never posted a question about the 151st Light Truck ...
WWII awards and decorations9/10/2013
  Q: Col.Lynn I'm trying to put together some details on my Dad's service in the US Army to our country ...
  A: Your father's service entitles him to wear the European-African-Middle East Campaign Medal with one ...
92nd Infantry Division9/10/2013
  Q: LTC. Lynn: How can I determine what Army prison in Italy would have housed members of the 92nd ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I was researching your request and the answer ...
tracking apo address8/30/2013
  Q: The records for my father in law's service were mostly destroyed in the 1973 personnel records fire. ...
  A: Your father-in-law's APO 872 was used for the U.S. Army units stationed in the Marburg, Germany ...
Korean veteran with dementia8/27/2013
  Q: Lynn, Florida Guard, Thanks for your recent research. My question is as follows: Where was ...
  A: Henry, Here are the answers to your questions: *The entire 185th Infantry Regiment, ...
Korea8/23/2013
  Q: Was Company D 1st Battalion 185th Infantry Regiment 49th Infantry Division, probably a National ...
  A: According to THE KOREAN WAR ORDER OF BATTLE: UNITED STATES, UNITED NATIONS, AND COMMUNIST GROUND, ...
David Waters Sanderson, WWII Vet8/21/2013
  Q: My father, David Waters Sanderson served in the 401st Eng Company B - 34-496-646 - during the Rome ...
  A: Mayson, The 399th Infantry Regiment, 100th Infantry Division was in France and ...
Questions regarding my fathers military record8/20/2013
  Q: I'm trying to replace my father's medals and ribbons from his service in WWII where he served in the ...
  A: Dietrich, It would be three stripes (like a sergeant) with one rocker at the ...
Information on 359th Infantry Co. D8/19/2013
  Q: I am looking for any information on the 359th Infantry Texas Brigade. My grandfather was part of ...
  A: The 359th Infantry Regiment was formed at Camp Barkeley, Texas and assigned to the 90th Infantry ...
National guard divisions during Ww28/13/2013
  Q: I was wondering about the location of people's enlistment would determine the division they serve ...
  A: Prior to the U.S. entry into World War II, an individual could enlist in one of the National Guard ...
judge advocate?4/28/2013
  Q: During the Indian wars would any Army office be qualified to act as Judge advocate in a military ...
  A: The Staff Judge Advocates Bureau had a total of 6-8 officers assigned after the Civil War. Their ...
3rd MAW, Mag-444/22/2013
  Q: My father was attached to the 3rd MAW, mag-44 in the pacific in 1944-45, as a navy corpsman. I would ...
  A: The 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing (3rd MAW) was activated at Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) Cherry ...
Army Company Patch4/18/2013
  Q: Do you know where I could find a photo of the company patch for the following company. 458th ...
  A: You can contact the museum at Fort Eustis, Virginia or the U.S. Army Institute of Heraldry and they ...
Florida Military Button?4/14/2013
  Q: Robert I have several of these old Florida buttons that I believe are military of some type. ...
  A: These are reffered to as Florida State Seal buttons that were manufactured between the 1870s and ...
equestrian statue provenance4/3/2013
  Q: please click sirsamelot.com an equestrian statue [14 feet high 3 ton cast iron] which i bought ...
  A: After reading the article and looking at the photograph, my suggestion is that you have to go to the ...
Cobras in VN3/29/2013
  Q: Did Cobras have mini guns/ If so what Cal did they start with.I was in VN Sept 68-Sept 69, and was ...
  A: Anderson, It was the AH-1G Cobra that was used throughout the Vietnam War and ...
WWII 1st Infantry division, 26th Inf Regiment3/18/2013
  Q: Major Lynn, I am researching my cousin John R Bonsal Jr. KIA 24 November 1944. Serial Number ...
  A: You can contact the National Archives at the following site: www.archives.gov/veterans/military and ...
ww2 abbreviations3/5/2013
  Q: on an American lieutenant's mission orders (England,1943,in the ETOUSA)THESE LETTERS APPEAR ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but here is the abbreviations broken down as ...
Plaque Inquiry3/4/2013
  Q: Sir, Need some details about this plaque. Thank you very much.
  A: This could be one of the plaques made from a piece of warhead from the USS Missouri by one of the ...
Where to read about tactical mapping of cities2/23/2013
  Q: and thank you for being willing to answer questions. I would like to know how a soldier would go ...
  A: You can contact the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency using the Internet search engine as well ...
Franco-Prussian war2/21/2013
  Q: Where can I locate records for German veterans from the Franco-Prussian war? The only information ...
  A: You can contact the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany at 2300 M Street NW Washington, D.C. ...
letters from the war2/14/2013
  Q: Greetings, Recently I discovered hundreds of letters my father wrote to my mother from 1941 to 1953 ...
  A: He was with Company E, 2nd Battalion, 124th Infantry Regiment (stationed at Live Oak, Florida) to be ...
helmets2/10/2013
  Q: "hello, i have two m-1 helmet that i want info on but cant find any. i am mainly looking for dates. ...
  A: The front seam was used up to 1944 when it was moved to the back seam. S stood for the Schlueter ...
Please ID this Military Coat2/9/2013
  Q: I have this coat which is pea green, of course, and has buttons of an Eagle carrying an Anchor. Can ...
  A: This is a World War II/Korean War U.S. Marine Corps blouse and the button is one of those found on ...
British Army troop movement during WW22/5/2013
  Q: I'm trying to track where the British Army regiment - Royal Engineers 3rd Inventory division were ...
  A: Here is the information you requested: *http://www.unithistories.com/units_british/3InfDiv.html ...
1960 draft2/1/2013
  Q: i have a cosin that was drafted in the 1960 and was sent to vietnam but he was the last of his line ...
  A: He would have been classified as CLASS IV which was a registrant with sufficient prior active ...
Grandfathers WW2 History.1/22/2013
  Q: My Grandfather Theron A. Corliss Army Serial number 31 467 424 served with Company B 401st Engineers ...
  A: The 401st Engineer Combat Battalion was formed in Borgo di Basono, Italy from the 1st Battalion, ...
father's maintenance company1/22/2013
  Q: My father (Arthur L King 35 679 774 Technician 5th Grade) was assigned to the US army, 263d Ordnance ...
  A: The list of names of soldiers in his unit can be obtained from "Morning Reports" which can be ...
World War 1 Brass Shell (nose)11/4/2012
  Q: I hope you can help with my query. I have the nose of a First World War brass shell which has been ...
  A: There was a visit there by one of the members of the British Royal family to show their support for ...
Co.L 28thInfantry11/3/2012
  Q: My grandfather Pvt.Carl L. Fey served in Co.L he was wounded and taken prisoner of war.I can't find ...
  A: You can contact the U.S. National Archives in Washington, D.C. and give them the unit your ...
Signing on Missouri10/15/2012
  Q: Family lore says that my grandfather (now deceased) was in the Military Police aboard the Missouri ...
  A: You can contact the National Archives and Records Administration in Washington, D.C. in regard to ...
German conscription question10/13/2012
  Q: My question is in regard to my ancestor who may have been in the army of the Kingdom of ...
  A: Those military conscription records can be found in Stuttgart, Germany and you can contact the ...
Cold War10/7/2012
  Q: I have a question for you regarding to the Cold War. Did the Soviets ever had the intentions of ...
  A: Both of the two things you ask are just myths but a good book to check out is the newly published: ...
Records of Battlefield Commission10/5/2012
  Q: I sent a request regarding how to locate records of a "Battlefield Commission" of my wife's ...
  A: You should contact the National Archives in Washington, D.C. and request the divisional records of ...
info on white AF Tropical Dress Uniform10/4/2012
  Q: US Air Force white tropical dress uniform. This is an early example that was a US Army dress white ...
  A: Behie, Please go to the following web site which will answer your questions: ...
Replacement Training Centers9/11/2012
  Q: I have been doing research on my great uncle Riley E Miller who was a replacement for Company A of ...
  A: I apologise for not getting back to you sooner but I have just gotten back from Washington D.C. Here ...
military funeral8/31/2012
  Q: I am wondering which is the principal law/legislation dealing with the rules and instructions of ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I have been out of the country and just came ...
list of Prussian Soldiers in 1866 war with Austria8/26/2012
  Q: Sir, Wher can I find a list of Prussian Soldiers that fought in the 1866 war with Austria and the ...
  A: You can go to the following two (2) sources on the Internet: ...
Free French Aid in WW28/24/2012
  Q: I am looking for information on military assistance given the Free French ground forces, both from ...
  A: After much research, I believe I have found what you are looking for. This site will give the French ...
Battlefield Commission8/24/2012
  Q: I had asked a question last week about when does a "Battlefield Commission" take effect and you gave ...
  A: Here is the information as promised in regard to the 188th Field Artillery Battalion 155mm (Towed). ...
My Grandfather's Unit8/19/2012
  Q: We were recently going through my grandfathers documents from time served in WWII. On his enlistment ...
  A: Reed, The information I gave on the 335th Engineers also applies to D Company. The ...
Battlefield Commissions8/14/2012
  Q: My question is a what point does a "Battlefield Commission" go into effect? When it is offered to ...
  A: Manning, The way it was done in combat in World War Ii was that he was notified of ...
West Prussia (Austro Prussian War)8/13/2012
  Q: The II Army Corps / II AK (German: II. Armee-Korps) was a corps level command of the Prussian and ...
  A: In the 1860s, the Prussian Army had their troops organized into military Kreise or Circles, which ...
3 World War II Nazy Insignias8/7/2012
  Q: I acquire recently some nazy insignias on a trade, I don't collect in specific nazy items. I'm just ...
  A: I don't collect any military insignias but in this case, I can direct you to a site where you can ...
Awards8/5/2012
  Q: Sir--We had spoke previously about the awards that I had earned in Nam (Chu Lai), with 1st ...
  A: Yes, that is correct but I just found out from one of the historians working at the U.S. Marine ...
WWII Army Awards and medals7/26/2012
  Q: This question deals with incomplete Army WWII and ABMC awards and medals listings. Recently I sent ...
  A: The suspicious fire at the Records Center in St. Louis in 1973 burned many World War II records and ...
Mag-12 unit citations Vietnam7/21/2012
  Q: Sir---I saw the list of Mag-12 unit citations/commendations that you have listed. Does that mean ...
  A: According to NAVMC 2522 dated 1 October 2007, MAG-12 rates one PUC for the following date: 11 May ...
Naval Rank and/or Ranting7/17/2012
  Q: My father was a WWII vet in the navy. His home town is erecting a veterans' monument and one piece ...
  A: It could be written as follows: MM 1/C or MM First Class. The U.S. Navy has enlisted ratings with ...
civil war hospital bed metal with Qtr Master's Corp. Insignia7/9/2012
  Q: I need a value and a price for sale including how to access condition to match the price. I am ...
  A: There were a large number of contractors who built these type of beds for the Federal Government. ...
Military Funeral History7/6/2012
  Q: I am writing a seminar about military funeral and would like to find out more about the history of ...
  A: You can go to the following for the information you request: ...
Florida Civil War and Salt Makers7/6/2012
  Q: Are the exemption lists for Florida salt makers available for research? Much of the available ...
  A: Here is the information you requested: Florida Department of State-Division of Historical ...
WWI Veteran's belongings6/26/2012
  Q: Good morning. It has recently come to my attention that we have had the personal affects of a WWI ...
  A: You will want to wait till you hear from both the American Legion and the National Archives office ...
WWII: 43rd Inf. Div: 172nd Inf. Rg.6/23/2012
  Q: He received 2 Purple Hearts and the Silver Star. I have tried desperately to gather information. ...
  A: You can contact the U.S. Army Institute of Heraldry at 703-806-0055 located at Fort Belvoir, ...
Fort Gates Seminole Wars6/18/2012
  Q: Recently I have come across alot of local oral history from lifetime residents of the Salt Springs ...
  A: I have also heard the same thing and the person to contact is listed below: Florida Department of ...
greek-and persian wars5/31/2012
  Q: just curious why did the Persians use shield made of wicker during their invasion of Greece, even ...
  A: The Persian Empire under the Achaemenids (its most famous period) used an army of mercenaries ...
1940 Peacetime draft in the United States5/30/2012
  Q: LTC Lynn. I'm trying to find out how the 1940 peacetime draft worked in the U.S. The movies of ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been on extended active duty. Here is the ...
The Crusades5/28/2012
  Q: Mr Lynn, I want to learn about and understand the Crusades - why the wars were fought [was it ...
  A: Here are three books to get you started: *The Crusades: The Authoritative History Of The War For ...
company E 379th infantry Indiantown Gap Pa5/26/2012
  Q: I was looking for info and found where someone had questioned about this Company. My Dad was in ...
  A: S. National Archives in Washington D.C. and the U.S. Army Center of Military History located in ...
war, youth heroics5/17/2012
  Q: For my class of 5-13yrs old, could you share with me any stories of children that served in any army ...
  A: Here are a number of sites that you can get the information you requested: *Child Soldiers In The ...
World War One Tactics5/14/2012
  Q: Hey, can you tell me what war tactics and strageties the French used in World War One? Thanks!
  A: At the start of the 20th Century, most military commanders placed a great deal of emphasis on using ...
Military History late 1800s1/14/2012
  Q: I am from Ireland and am trying to obtain more information on some of my great grand mother's ...
  A: You can contact the following two organizations that will have the information you need: *New York ...
WWII Provost Marshall name search1/13/2012
  Q: Where can I find a list of Provost Marshals who served during WWII. I am searching for my father I ...
  A: You can look up the following in your search engine: *U.S. Army Provost Marshal *U.S. Army Center ...
WWII uniform patches1/8/2012
  Q: My wife's grandfather passed away and left is uniforms to my son and I was wanting to explain all ...
  A: Van Dyke, The answers are listed below: 1-34th Infantry Division nicknamed the ...
PHOTOS PEACE TREATY USS MISSOURI12/30/2011
  Q: I have 7 photos of the Japanese peace treaty signing taken aboard the USS Missouri with the ...
  A: I apologize but I just got back from a long needed vacation/holiday. In regard to your question ...
Sgt Monroe N Wise 189 2nd engineer ( AVN) BN. New Guniea12/30/2011
  Q: My Dad Sgt Monroe N Wise, pasted away of cancer in 1974. as I was a teen in 1974 I never took the ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I have been away on an extended vacation/holiday. ...
Bugle12/28/2011
  Q: Trying to ID this bugle 1st alabama cavalry I am having a hard time making out the inscription. It ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I have been on an extended vacation/holiday. The ...
Army cot11/28/2011
  Q: I brought a wooden army cot that folds up and it looks like a table when it is folded. Could you ...
  A: Army cots varied from country to country and the best place to get further information would be the ...
GermanMilitary Uniform ID11/23/2011
  Q: Wow! I am glad to find you! I am wondering about this pic of my great grandfather. The word in ...
  A: The problem with your request is that prior to Germany becoming a unified nation, it was a number of ...
What's This lol11/23/2011
  Q: Very obviously painted by amish lovers but what is/was this trunk and preserved symbol on its side?
  A: The symbol is the wig-wag signaling system developed for military field operations by U.S. Army ...
Drummer enlistee @ age 611/20/2011
  Q: I want to know why my great-grandfather was accepted as a Marine at such a young age, as well as, ...
  A: I contacted the Historical Reference Branch of the U.S. Marine Corps located at Marine Corps Base ...
Military Uniform ID11/19/2011
  Q: Can you identify this military uniform and the items on the hat and coat? We believe it to be my ...
  A: From the Sharpshooter's Rifle Qualification Badge on his uniform, the seven buttons on the front of ...
ww1 german strategies and weapons11/10/2011
  Q: Could you please help me find out more information about the German strategies and weapons from ww1 ...
  A: The Battle of Le Hamel was the latest in a series of local actions conducted by the Allies to end in ...
Company L 28th Infantry Regiment11/9/2011
  Q: I can't find any info on my Grandfather Private Victor Romain of Pa. He was in Co.L 28th Infantry. ...
  A: Haliburton, The 28th Infantry Regiment was part of the 2nd Infantry Brigade of ...
How to authenticate ww2 uniforms11/9/2011
  Q: I am trying to find out how to tell if a ww2 uniform is real or fake. I am new to collecting ...
  A: In regard to your question on the World War II uniform, the word is caution here because there are ...
Adolf Hitler11/8/2011
  Q: I am doing a project on the rise, reign, and fall of Hitler for National History Day, and must ...
  A: My E-Mail is militaryhistorywriter@yahoo.com or please send me your teacher's E-Mail and I will send ...
Civil War11/4/2011
  Q: I am researching the draft process during the civil war era. I would like to know how the draft ...
  A: First, the Confederate States of America-By the spring of 1862, the twelve-month voluntary ...
WW110/28/2011
  Q: I came across some papers of my father and seen where he was a 'Wagoner in Co A -122 Engrs.' What ...
  A: It means that he delivered supplies and equipment by horse and wagon within his engineer unit, the ...
Draft Requirements in the 1960's10/7/2011
  Q: One of my brothers, who I'm writing a book about, was divored at the age of 24 in 1964. He married ...
  A: Here is the answer to yourThe Post World War II Draft, 1948-1976 would have resulted in the ...
unidentified relative9/29/2011
  Q: I have recently found a letter that my deceased mother had kept, beginning with "Just a little ...
  A: You can go to the web site of The National Archives and Records Administration and from there, you ...
Napoleon9/11/2011
  Q: I am looking for someone who can help me with the tactics and strategies of Napoleon for a history ...
  A: The following information is provided: *Envelopment-Ulm, 1805 Jena, 1806 ...
The Crater, Civil War9/3/2011
  Q: I noted that you commented on the book "The Crater" on Amazon by Schmutz. My relative, Captain E.R ...
  A: The 23rd South Carolina Infantry Regiment was attached to Elliott's Brigade and was instrumental ...
WWI8/28/2011
  Q: I have been researching World War I, specifically the affect the tank has had on the war after it ...
  A: There is such information and it can be obtained from the National Archives in Washington, D.C. It ...
1195th Engineer Combat Unit 19448/27/2011
  Q: was the 1195th engineer combat unit located in Somerset England in 1944? Is there a roster of this ...
  A: Yes, it was located at Cannington-Somerset, England and arrived there in February, 1944. It left New ...
General William Westmoreland8/24/2011
  Q: Was General William C. Westmoreland called to duty during Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm? ...
  A: He was never called to active duty during Operation DESERT SHIELD/DESERT STORM but did appear on ABC ...
Franco-Prussian War? image #28/23/2011
  Q: This is image #2 as I mentioned in the previous message. This appears to be earlier than the ...
  A: This photocopy has Karachi on the bottom. It would seem that it was taken in British Karachi. The ...
Franco-Prussian War? image #18/23/2011
  Q: I have 2 images (a photo & a portrait) of my Great-Great Grandfather that we assume fought in the ...
  A: Without looking at the portrait myself, it is really hard to give an answer. The best answer I can ...
Requset for WWII general information8/21/2011
  Q: Good afternoon Colonel, I think I'm coming down to the "home stretch" on the information needed to ...
  A: I want to apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I'm on active duty right now. To help me, ...
My dad in WW II8/21/2011
  Q: I have more info about my dad as I'm sitting here talking to my mom. She said he trained at Ft. ...
  A: The 28th Infantry Division landed at Normandy on 22 July 1944. It was kept in reserve until the date ...
My Dad in WWII8/21/2011
  Q: Lynn, I have many questions about my father's (Wayne Blair of Knoxville TN) survice during WW II. ...
  A: In response to your questions, here are the answers: -The "Bloody Bucket" insignia refers to the ...
PUC, MUC, VUA, RVNGC acquisition and transfer8/20/2011
  Q: In 1968 I spent 9 months with the 82nd Aviation Airborne as a crew chief. Before leaving Fort Bragg, ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but here is the information you requested. First, ...
E.T.O. Replacement Depots8/18/2011
  Q: I am researching the WWII Army service of my Great Uncle, Sergeant Sam Miller, KIA near Stolberg ...
  A: Here is a web site for information on the 36th Armored Infantry Regiment, 3rd Armored Division: ...
WW II CIB and authorization for thr Bronze Star with V Device8/18/2011
  Q: Good Morning Colonel Lynn, I am in the process of reconstructing my uncle PFC Elroy LeJeune's WWII ...
  A: Semmes, In regard to the Bronze Star with the V device and the CIB, the information ...
Ruptured Duck8/13/2011
  Q: I just recently learned about the Ruptured Duck. Is this a WWII device only, or is it still ...
  A: The last badge that a World War II veteran put on his uniform was his Honorable Discharge Badge or ...
Roosevelt's funeral8/11/2011
  Q: Is there a record of the names of the Marines that followed Roosevelt's casket down Pennsylvania ...
  A: You can contact the Marine Corps History Division at 703-432-4874 or 4877 or writer them at Marine ...
Texas Wagoners WW18/9/2011
  Q: LTC Lynn, Your answer to Frances about Wagoner Supply Company organization in WWI was helpful. I ...
  A: There were no Texas Wagoner Companies. You are reading the tombstone wrong. It stated that he comes ...
Austro-Prussian War 18668/3/2011
  Q: My greatgrandfather had 2 brothers who died in the war. They were Prussians and lived in the Vistula ...
  A: All records of the former Prussian Army are now kept in Berlin but you can get the exact location of ...
wwii navy rating7/23/2011
  Q: while researching my uncle's service on the USS Boise CL-47, I noticed his rate is CWT(PA). I ...
  A: *The PA stands for Permanent Appointment which means his rank is permanent as opposed to a Temporary ...
WWII uniform zipper7/22/2011
  Q: I am writing a short story set during WWII, in an unspecified place in Europe but not Italy. It is ...
  A: The United States began using zippers in military uniforms during World War I in 1918. They were ...
Ancient Cannons7/17/2011
  Q: Is it possible that any type of cannon (time period from development to about the 18th century)to ...
  A: Cannon prior to the 17th Century were extremely heavy and large. Heavy cannon usually took 23 horses ...
USNR7/15/2011
  Q: Recently found the headstone of a relative that had: F1 USNR on it. I'm assuming the F1 stands for ...
  A: Actually, F1 should read F1c or Fireman First Class. It means that he was in training to be in one ...
Korean Service Medal7/13/2011
  Q: Robert. Recently, I obtained a copy of my dad's AF service record and discovered that he had ...
  A: Your father could have been TDY to the Republic of Korea. When you are TDY, you continue to use your ...
Military Funeral Customs7/13/2011
  Q: Similar to a post you answered 6 May 2004 reference below - I have my Grandfathers flag he was a ...
  A: Some believe that the tradition dates back to the Greeks, who would leave coins to help the deceased ...
3rd Marine Aircraft Wing7/3/2011
  Q: Which three aircraft carriers carried the wing to Hawaii in May of 1944 and where did they sail ...
  A: Parker, After making phone calls to the U.S. Marine Corps History Reference Center, ...
Military info on Gus Lopez6/25/2011
  Q: In researching the places my father had been in France and Germany during WWII. One of his IND is ...
  A: Lopez, I put in a request to the National Archives and they will be getting back to me ...
history of military dependents6/20/2011
  Q: First, let me please offer a very brief background to thisIn 1947, Henry King, an American ...
  A: Here are the following answers to your questions: 1. The Soviet delegation to the court opposed the ...
US Flag12/4/2010
  Q: I'm trying to discover why the flag is flown over our military bases for 11 hours. It's my ...
  A: Originally the U.S. flag was raised to the sound of "To The Colors" and the National Anthem at 0800 ...
German dagger11/13/2010
  Q: I have acquired two dagger type implements, supposedly WW2,issued to German paratroopers, the makers ...
  A: Many World War II German-edged weapons are currently reproduced. It is becoming more difficult to be ...
WWII Army Air Force11/10/2010
  Q: My dad was a gunner on a B26 Marauder, 397th Bombardment Group, 9th AF Bomber Base. I found an ...
  A: You can contact the following: Air Force Historical Research Agency (AFHRA) 600 Chennault Circle ...
patch11/8/2010
  Q: I am looking to purchase a us army fort custer michigan patch for my sons shadow box,as a gift. He ...
  A: You can contact the following for information on obtaining a patch: Fort Custer Training Center ...
timeframe11/7/2010
  Q: i was wondering if my grandfather finished basic infantry training on july 14 1945 when would he ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions: 1. Yes, he would have been sent overseas. 2. Battery ...
AMERICAN MEXICAN WAR OF 184610/29/2010
  Q: I was trying to research an old letter that I found in a box lot of old papers dating from 1830's ...
  A: The Irish Jasper Greens were formed on 22 February 1843 and served in the Mexican-American War. All ...
Question10/24/2010
  Q: how are you going? :-) Is it okay if I ask another question? :-) My Dad was a kid in Greece, and in ...
  A: Inflation during World War II was dramatic in the extreme. In January, 1941, one British Pound was ...
False Warrior10/19/2010
  Q: We have a member of our organization who contends (upon return from the Middle East) that he was ...
  A: I'm sorry that I haven't gotten back to you sooner but I've been at Fort Stewart, Georgia and just ...
Question10/18/2010
  Q: how are you going? :-) I was just wondering if there has ever been an economic depression in history ...
  A: In U.S. history there have been the following economic depressions: 1807 1837 1873 1893 1929-1939 ...
Hitler Era Salute10/18/2010
  Q: I know about the right arm straight salute;but what was the significance of the vended 90 degrees ...
  A: The greeting is widely believed to be based on an ancient Roman custom. However, no Roman work of ...
Officer Corps.10/13/2010
  Q: I am in the Army now and my wife is working on getting her commission. She was asked what is the ...
  A: There is no actual date for the officer corps in the U.S. Army but it is always been the date that ...
US uniform trim color9/30/2010
  Q: I would like to know what the stripe colors on US Army uniforms (1860- 1890) mean. Assume they ...
  A: You are talking about the trouser stripe and here are the colors: *Artillery-Scarlet ...
Origin of the squad9/29/2010
  Q: When did the concept of a military squad come into being? How far back does the concept of a squad ...
  A: At the start of World War I, the battle formations of the warring armies continued to consist of ...
WW1 Medal I think9/27/2010
  Q: I have a medal I am trying to identify. It appears to bronze in color, looks like wide cross. On the ...
  A: Garrett, This is The Cross of Military Service, an outgrowth of the Southern Cross ...
help with identifing uniform9/26/2010
  Q: I hope you can provide your expertise on this photo of my great grandfather. The story is that he ...
  A: The photograph is one of a unit of state militia that were prominent before 1903 in the United ...
Trying to find the facts9/21/2010
  Q: My great uncle recently passed and I just learned he served in the US Army WW2, Co B 147th Engineer ...
  A: The 147th Engineer Combat Battalion was formed from the 1st Battalion, 147th Engineer Regiment on 1 ...
Mag 129/20/2010
  Q: Would you know the dates for the unit citations that mag 12 received in Vietnam? Read one of your ...
  A: Here are the awards and dates according to the current U.S. Marine Corps Awards Manual: *Republic ...
Military History9/16/2010
  Q: Besides being AWOL from duty what was the roll of the Itallian Fleet and Submurine Fleet in WW2?
  A: In regard to the Italian Fleet's performance in World War II, Italy's surface warfare doctrine ...
Military Foot Locker9/9/2010
  Q: I was recently given what I thought was just an old trunk. Honestly, I just thought it looked cool. ...
  A: Its hard to evaluate these type of things that come from another country. An excellant source of ...
WWII surrender9/8/2010
  Q: Did every active duty soldier get a copy of the Japanese and Germen "Instruments of Surrender"? We ...
  A: According to papers held at the U.S. National Archives held in Washington D.C., 60 copies of these ...
officers military epaulet9/4/2010
  Q: WHAT'S THE HISTORY ON THE OAKLEAF. MAJOR BEING GOLD AND LT. COLONEL SILVER?
  A: Majors in the U.S. Army started wearing oak leaves as rank insignia on their shoulder straps in ...
historical projectiles (cannonballs)8/25/2010
  Q: When were the first explosive projectiles used and by whom I can find no reference to their use in ...
  A: In 1823, the first guns to fire explosive shells with the flat trajectory of canons were invented by ...
Navy aircraft8/25/2010
  Q: my question is regarding Navy aircraft (modern day). 1. What is the main difference between Navy ...
  A: The main difference between the F-15 and F-16 and the F-18 isn't only in the appearence and ...
6960th Reinforcement Depot8/23/2010
  Q: I'm looking for the locations and mission of the 6960th Reinforcement Depot, WWII, for my wife. Her ...
  A: In January, 1945, the 6960th Replacement Depot (Provisional) was organized in France for the purpose ...
103rd Infantry Regiment in Luzon8/20/2010
  Q: I noticed that you answered a question from Bruce Bane on the 10/10/2009 related to the 2nd ...
  A: You can contact the U.S. Army Center of Military History: CMHAnswers @conus.army.mil or National ...
WWI Japanese Spies8/10/2010
  Q: I am conducting genealogical research and found on Footnote website a 9-page FBI document dated ...
  A: You can contact the National Archives and Records Administration on line by going to this web site: ...
after action reports7/28/2010
  Q: I would like to know the exact cause of death of my uncle Capt Gerard A. Ruddy,Commanding Officer ...
  A: Ruddy, I contacted the U.S. Army Center of Military History at Calisle, Pennsylvania ...
Identifying marks and an early 1900's holster7/20/2010
  Q: I have a US cavalry holster marked, "E" "14 cav" "53". The 14th cavalry is obvious, I thought the ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I checked with a well known military historian ...
"Armed Draft Detail" from 19187/6/2010
  Q: Greetings from Cincinnati, Ohio. My wife recently found some military service information on her ...
  A: When the United States began conscription in May, 1917, almost immediately draft evasion became a ...
military pin6/28/2010
  Q: I found this pin in a box of things that my mother had. Can you identify it for me. Thank you so ...
  A: After checking with the Institute of Heraldry in Washington D.C. and they stated to me via a phone ...
General Mac Arthur4/21/2010
  Q: I have an 8 by 12 magazine titled General Douglas Mac Arthur Exciting Life Story, with 10 cents and ...
  A: I'm not an expert in this type of item but I would take it to someone who is an expert in handling ...
Japan and World War One4/18/2010
  Q: my question is what were the tactics that the Japanese used during world war one. Tactics on ...
  A: Japan initially molded her army on the French, but disastrous early maneuvers (in the late 19th ...
USS Missouri4/15/2010
  Q: I saw the signing of the end of WW2 on Utube and noticed all the big guns were pointed strait up was ...
  A: No, the 16-inch guns weren't loaded as were the other guns not loaded as well. These guns were ...
13TH combat engineers4/7/2010
  Q: I read your info about 13th engineers in regards to there assingments during WW-2. I would like to ...
  A: You can go to the following web sites: www.archives.gov This is the National Archives. ...
iraq war - any final assessment?4/2/2010
  Q: can there be any final assessment of the US military intervention of the iraq war 2003 invasion....? ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions: 1. The final assessment of the U.S. invasion of Iraq in ...
ancient battles3/31/2010
  Q: We constantly read about the huge armys of ancient times into the hundreds of thousands and even ...
  A: There is now a new branch of archaeology called Battlefield Archaeology that one can obtain a degree ...
BtyA 460th AAA Aw Bn3/30/2010
  Q: I'm having a hard time finding any info on the 460th.I think they were with the 1st Infantry, but ...
  A: The unit is the 460th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion (Mobile) was activated on ...
Civil War Replacements3/25/2010
  Q: Good Morning! Just curious to know how replacement operations were conducted during the civil war? ...
  A: During the War Between the States, both the Union and the Confederacy initially depended upon a ...
Combat stress3/22/2010
  Q: I have a question about the Roman Army and its treatment to soldiers. With all the battles and wars ...
  A: The psychophysical effects of combat have been recorded since the early days of human civilization. ...
rotation3/20/2010
  Q: In WW2 how did soldiers rotate back to the states. Could a soldier not rotate through and just stay ...
  A: In an effort to be fair to everyone, a system known as the Adjusted Service Rating (ASR) was ...
What marine squadron took the first F4J to Danang?3/17/2010
  Q: Colonel - I served with VF121 at Miramar from 1968 to 1971. In about 1968 or 1969 I was assigned a ...
  A: That was VMFA-334 (The Falcons) in June, 1967. They arrived in Da Nang, South Vietnam in September, ...
Weapons issued for landings in the Pacific theater3/16/2010
  Q: Were any of our soldiers or marines issued .22 caliber rifles and told that they could pick up a ...
  A: This is another Hollywood myth. Both the Garand M-1 and the Springfield M1903, M1903A1, and the ...
US Before Entry of WWII3/16/2010
  Q: What was the role of the U.S. in the calculations of Britain and Germany before the USA entered the ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I just returned from Fort Stewart, Georgia. Here ...
WWII German Photos3/15/2010
  Q: I have WWII Color photos taken by German photographers and printed by a german company. Various ...
  A: You can go to a professional photographer or better yet go to a publisher and see if they are ...
Late middle age naval tactics3/9/2010
  Q: I was wondering about the evolution of cannon on warships. How were cannon first mounted on ships? ...
  A: The earliest medieval cannon, the pot-de-fer, had bulbous, vase-like shape, and was used more for ...
military funerals3/9/2010
  Q: During funerals in Arlington National Cemetery, officer's are entitled to an escort element which ...
  A: Prior to 1 January 2009, only Medal of Honor recipients, officers, and enlisted men who had reached ...
Total Deaths in History of Warfare3/6/2010
  Q: Sir, I am curious if you might be able to help me determine roughly how many men have died on the ...
  A: While this isn't an all encompassing list, the figure is put at 170,000,000 by Professor R.J. Rummel ...
WW11 troops in Aus3/6/2010
  Q: I was wondering if you could tell me how to find out the troops names that were deployed to ...
  A: Your request is a very general question and so I will give the web site addresses for each service ...
Father-in-law's WWII experience2/25/2010
  Q: Mr. Lynn, My Father-in-law was career Army. He is still with us at 90 years old, but suffers from ...
  A: Spencer, Is it the 76th Field Artillery Brigade, 76th Field Artillery Regiment, or ...
cannon ball2/22/2010
  Q: In 1967 I lived in Miami and I was in a field beside my house and I found a steel cannon ball while ...
  A: It could be from the The Seminole Wars, War Between the States, Spanish-American War, World War I, ...
On Tombstone What Does "State" Signify?2/21/2010
  Q: A cousin died in a car wreck in 1961 while hitch hiking his way from San Diego to MS while on ...
  A: It could be where he enlisted. The best way to find out is to make a request to the National ...
1st battalion 5th marines emblem2/20/2010
  Q: i was wondering what everything meant the Indian head the two swords the motto make peace or die the ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions in regard to the 1st Battalion 5th Marines patch: 1. Indian ...
Milttay historical ranks2/16/2010
  Q: I'm doing a family genealogy research. My Grandfather entered the US Army in aprox. 1914 to 1916 I ...
  A: Shortly after the Armistice in 1918, a French officer commented to an American: You had no officers' ...
2913 Disciplinary Training Center2/14/2010
  Q: I am researching the history of Master Sergeant John C. Woods, the Nuremberg executioner. In March, ...
  A: The 2913 Disciplinary Training Center was located at Langport, England from 31 December 1943 to 30 ...
Fathers Unit-WWII2/12/2010
  Q: LTC Lynn-my father TSgt Alex F Hetes ended the war as a member of Co. H 273 Rd Inf. 69th Div. He was ...
  A: The 335th Engineer General Service Regiment was activated on 20 July 1942 at Camp Gruber, Oklahoma ...
WW2 Army Training, deployment, missing in action2/11/2010
  Q: 1. When men enlisted at the beginning of WW2, in the US, did the enlist for a specific branch or ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions: 1. At the start of 1940, the only military training ...
Pacific war (WW2)2/8/2010
  Q: How many New Zealander's were in the Pacific war?
  A: Despite having a population of only about 1.2 million, the New Zealand Armed Forces managed to reach ...
Help Identifying Army Plaque2/5/2010
  Q: I have two plaques with soldiers on them. I would like to know what army are they from and what are ...
  A: These are soldiers of the Continental Army of 1779 probably from the colonies of either North ...
95th Division, 379 Regiment2/2/2010
  Q: I have a question about another machinegunner with the 379th regiment. My father was SSG John Brey ...
  A: Brey, You can go to the National Archives and request a copy of his citation in regard ...
WW2 Navy hero1/30/2010
  Q: I am trying to find out more about my relative, Francis Carpenter Sadtler, whose war exploit was ...
  A: It was Episode 21, Season 2 aired on 6 March 1957 that "The Star" was shown with John Carradine as ...
Tank History Questions1/29/2010
  Q: I am a high school student. I am doing a project on the tank and had a couple of questions for you. ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I recently arrived back at my home after a stint ...
WWII 89th Artillery Battallion patch question1/15/2010
  Q: My grandfather was in world war 2. He was in the 89th field artillery battalion and was activated to ...
  A: The patch you are wanting information on is of unknown origin. Here are some web sites in regard to ...
Repo Depot1/13/2010
  Q: LTC Lynn, I am trying to find something about the 8069th Repo Depot (8th Army) of the timeframe of ...
  A: The 8069th Replacement Battalion arrived in South Korea on 24 July 1950 with 59 soldiers and set up ...
Getting Military forms1/10/2010
  Q: I'm trying to get my Dad's (has passed) military records. Please give me a website for the govermet ...
  A: You can contact the National Personnel Records Center at www.archives.gov/st-louis. A very good ...
NHSM WITH PHOTO1/9/2010
  Q: PHOTO ATTACHED! FORGOT 1ST TIME I would appreciate your help! I have this civil war jacket for many ...
  A: Prior to the start of the War Between the States, the New Hampshire State Militia issued an oval ...
French military circa 18001/9/2010
  Q: In building a family tree I discovered that my 5th great grandfather was the " Commandant at the ...
  A: A commandant is a commanding officer but this term is used more in Europe then in the United States. ...
Photo identification12/29/2009
  Q: Can you help me identify the man in this photo? Or at least provide information that might lead me ...
  A: Have you tried old issues of newspapers in and around the area of Alamo, Texas? You can pay for this ...
WWII Campaign Help12/19/2009
  Q: My dad and I are trying to map out the route my grandfather took thru Europe during WWII. The ...
  A: The 40th Amphibian Tractor Battalion was formed in Hardheim, Germany from the 40th Tank Battalion on ...
APO 34312/15/2009
  Q: My father was in the 4th Ind Hq 8th Army APO 343 in 1945-46 and I am trying to locate any ...
  A: You can contact the following branch: Force Structure And Unit History Branch U.S. Army Center Of ...
john cosgrave 2nd12/11/2009
  Q: Hi I have an original painting of the flying cloud clipper ship by John O'Hara Cosgrave the 2nd It ...
  A: To get a honest appraisal of the painting, you must bring it to a art appraiser and/or an auction ...
Replacement Companies12/8/2009
  Q: Robert, my grandfather fought in WW2. He started out at Camp Wolters in Texas. From there, he ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I just got back from a short stint overseas. Here ...
Marine Corps Service Uniform (Greens)12/4/2009
  Q: Col Lynn, During WW2, there was a brown leather belt worn with the Green Service Uniform. When was ...
  A: The Pattern P1912/17 Forest Green Marine Uniform was authorized in 1912 and although initially not ...
79th Replacement Battalion in WWII12/3/2009
  Q: LTC Lynn: I am trying to locate where the 79th Replacement Battalion was operating/located between 1 ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I have just returned from a short stint overseas ...
WWI 359th Infantry Company H11/27/2009
  Q: I am looking for any information on the 359th Infantry Regiment Company H from World War I. My ...
  A: The 358th Infantry Regiment was a unit of the 179th Infantry Brigade which was part of the 90th ...
Replacement BN in France, 1945.10/12/2009
  Q: "Hello. A while back you posted the following: The 53rd Reinforcement Battalion and the 54th ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I just got back in the U.S. from a short stint ...
Military Funeral Protocol10/11/2009
  Q: Last month, my grandson was mortally wounded by an IED in Afghanistan and will be interred in ...
  A: First, let me extend my sympathies over the loss of your grandson in Afghanistan. You are allowed to ...
chariots10/10/2009
  Q: by what i know, the chasriot was a very devastating weapon when it was first invebted, but they ...
  A: The critical invention that allowed the construction of light, horse-drawn chariots for use in ...
early medieval warships10/9/2009
  Q: My names Nick and I'm doing a research paper for history class and i need a list of warships from ...
  A: Here is a list of warships used from 500 AD to 1000 AD: *Quadriremes *Quinqueremes *Liburnian ...
WWII Philippines - Leyte & Luzon10/8/2009
  Q: My question has 2 parts. First - My Father-in-law was a replacement troop on Leyte in February ...
  A: The 43rd Infantry "Winged Victory" Division was commanded by Major General Leonard F. Wing and ...
Decipher ID Tag/Disk10/7/2009
  Q: I found the attached disk in a chunk of dirt in my yard this week, and was wondering if you can help ...
  A: This would be one type of dog tag that was used in the War Between the States. Many of them were ...
147th Combat Engineers10/7/2009
  Q: In continuing my research what can you tell me about the 147th Combat Engineers in WWII Thanks so ...
  A: The 147th Engineer Combat Battalion was formed on 1 April 1943 from the 1st Battalion, 147th ...
WWII Barrack Fire in Japan10/6/2009
  Q: My grandfather was a vet and was stationed in Nagoya at the toyota motor company, sometime in 1946 ...
  A: Nagoya, Japan was one of the cities hit by Dolittle's Raid and was subsequently occupied by soldiers ...
Draft in 195010/5/2009
  Q: My dad turned 18 on January 5, 1950. According to letters I've read, he was concerned about being ...
  A: The Korean War draft began in August, 1950 which saw the drafting of all males between the ages of ...
WW1 air balloon signal corp9/29/2009
  Q: My father-in-law was in the U.S. Air Balloon Signal Corp in WW1, I think in France. Name...Grady ...
  A: Yes, there is a list and it can be found by contacting the National Archives in Washington D.C. at ...
lance9/20/2009
  Q: how affective was a lance in actual warfare? how likely was a knight to use one?
  A: Here are some important points in regard to the lance used during the Medieval Ages: *History saw ...
my dad's service records9/19/2009
  Q: why is it so difficult to get a copy of my dad's records? I just want to make a small memorial in my ...
  A: Go to the following web site of the National Personal Records Center located in St. Louis: ...
Tombstones in Arlington Cemetery8/18/2009
  Q: What is the significance of the different shapes of headstones in Arlington cemetery?
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I recently returned from a short stint on active ...
Civil War soldier8/13/2009
  Q: I have heard that my GGreat grandfather was in the Civil War and probably a bugler or drummer. I ...
  A: You can go to 'Civil War Soldiers and Sailots System' in your search engine and fill out the ...
Japanese surrender documents from WWII8/2/2009
  Q: My Uncle recently told me he had copies of the original surrender treaty, which was sent to Imperial ...
  A: At 9:00 AM on September 2, 1945, aboard the deck of the U.S.S. Missouri, the official Instrument of ...
USAF observer wing pin7/30/2009
  Q: In the center of this pin is GOC Any idea what it stands for? My mother used to be a spotter ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner bit I recently returned from a tour of duty in ...
question7/28/2009
  Q: Was the Macedonian phalanx that Alexander used on his campaigns the same as the Macedonian phalanx ...
  A: The size of the phalanx fielded by Macedonia and its various successor states varied greatly. ...
WWII Veteran information7/27/2009
  Q: My uncle recently passed and I was wondering what info I could find about him and this is what I ...
  A: The 222nd Infantry Regiment of the 42nd Infantry Division (The Rainbow Division) was activated on 14 ...
My grandfather7/26/2009
  Q: My grandfather served in ww1,but he would never talk about it with family members. His pay book ...
  A: It is Company E, 333rd Infatry, 84th Infantry Division. There were three types of organizations in ...
Medals/ribbons/awards7/22/2009
  Q: I am a veterans tribute creator in Branson, MO. known for being the most veteran honoring town in ...
  A: Please send me your phone number and I will call you because of the work that would go into ...
Lowering of the Flag on the Yamato7/20/2009
  Q: What was the name of the sailor who lowered the flag on the surrender of the Yamato in WW II and is ...
  A: The Yamato didn't surrender but blew up. At 12:32 on 7 April 1945, the Yamato was attacked by the ...
Handcar White7/20/2009
  Q: A friend was in the 328th and lost his copy of "Handcar White." I'm trying to find one but have had ...
  A: You might want to try a library, used book store, or on the Internet. I contacted the U.S. Army ...
Question7/14/2009
  Q: How did Pompey win at Dyrrhachium? Would Hannibal have won at Zama if he had the same troops used ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions: 1. Pompey had ordered his soldiers to attack the unfinished ...
Army aviation insignia7/14/2009
  Q: Sir, I am looking for the official U.S. insignia for Army aircraft. It seems that the roundel is ...
  A: You can type in any helicopter that is currently in the U.S. Army inventory like the AH-64 Apache ...
military service records7/14/2009
  Q: I am helping a cousin locate service records. We know that our uncle received basic training and ...
  A: These records can be found at the National Personnel Records Center located in Kansas City, ...
Navy Officer Cover, half fretting (scrambled eggs)7/7/2009
  Q: Colonel: Thank you for your time. I was thinking about writing a suggestion to the Navy Uniform ...
  A: This has always been a bone of contention and is repeatedly brought before the Navy Uniform Board ...
Value on a sword?7/5/2009
  Q: i have a sword in which i believe to be a japanese ww2 sword. the blade measures 27 inches. it has ...
  A: I'm not a military collector but the best thing that I can tell you is to look up Military ...
colors7/1/2009
  Q: I have several carved bone feathers, I would like to paint them in the proper colors for veterans of ...
  A: You can go to this web site and it will give you the colors for the wars you mentioned above. Its ...
French and Indian War cannon ball6/30/2009
  Q: I have a 10-11 pound 4.6" cannon ball with the cast number, "12" on it. Recovered at Chateau ...
  A: There was an engagement there between a Captain Montgomery (brother to General Montgomery who was ...
Military funeral gun salute cartridge6/26/2009
  Q: My father retired as a full Colonel in the US Army Reserves Medical Corps and received a 9-gun ...
  A: The three blank rounds represent Duty, Honor, and Country. The round of ammunition looks like either ...
147th Combat Engineers and 1195th Base Depot Engineers6/25/2009
  Q: I'm doing research on the 147th Base Depot Engineers, the 711th Base Depot Engineers and the 1195th ...
  A: The following information is provided: *147th Base Depot Engineers-formed 1 April 1943 at Camp ...
World War 1 army cot6/24/2009
  Q: I have a wooden world war 1 army cot made out of oak that has been handed down in my family. I was ...
  A: I'm not qualified to give an estimate on the price of the cot but if you search E-Bay, Amazon, or ...
Crimean War - treatment of POWs by Russians6/23/2009
  Q: Did the Russians take prisoners in the Crimean War? If so, how were they treated? Thanks for ...
  A: After doing some detailed research, I found that the vast majority of POWs taken by the Russians in ...
95th Inf Song6/8/2009
  Q: There was a song published relating to the 95th Inf Div early in 1944. The title was "The 95th ...
  A: The song was wriiten and copyrighted by a member of the unit in late 1944-T/SGT. M. George Vanicek. ...
1308th Engineer GSReg ETO,APO 5626/5/2009
  Q: Aloha, I was hoping for some clarity on my uncle's historical regiment data.Was he actually in ...
  A: There were no medals/ribbons awarded for Normandy. The medal/ribbon awarded for the Normandy ...
WW1 strategies5/28/2009
  Q: I was wondering how war strategies were affected by the size of the war zone in WW1. Thanks!
  A: There are no more enduring symbols of World War I than the trench and its ubiquitous first cousin, ...
world war ii - field artillery5/25/2009
  Q: Do you have any information on the 264th field artillery, world war II? My father (Capt. Ray ...
  A: Here is the information you requested: The 264th Field Artillery Battalion (8-inch Howitzer ...
MAG12 & VMA 2235/21/2009
  Q: I have been trying to find out what unit commendations were won by VMA 223 and MAG 12 and when, but ...
  A: I contacted the Historical Museum Division of the U.S. Marine Corps and here is the information you ...
1308 Engineer Regiment/WW25/20/2009
  Q: first of all thank you for your service and sacrifices for our great country. Secondly, thank you ...
  A: Unlike the U.S. Army Ground Forces, the U.S. Army Service Forces (formerly known as the Service of ...
wwii5/20/2009
  Q: In what way did the U.S. plan for defeat over Japan evolve during the course of WWII?
  A: War Plan Orange (commonly known as Plan Orange or just Orange) refers to a series of U.S. Joint Army ...
Demographics of Draftees, World War II5/17/2009
  Q: I am writing a study concerning the changing expectations of parents in the early 1960s regarding ...
  A: There are a number of Federal agencies to contact: *U.S. Census Bureau www.census.gov *Veterans' ...
WWII/442nd infantry regiment5/13/2009
  Q: my name is Soren, I am an 8th grader from WA working on a school project. I have a couple of ...
  A: The 442nd Regimental Combat Team ("Go For Broke") landed at Anzio on 28 May 1944 and joined its ...
WWII5/12/2009
  Q: How did changes in means, methods and mission all served to influence both the “Battle for the ...
  A: Here is the answer to your*Battle of the Atlantic-Active Sonar, Catapult Aircraft Merchantmen, ...
Mahan5/12/2009
  Q: How did the principal ideas advanced by Alfred Thayer Mahan impact at home and abroad? How and why ...
  A: Mayan's ideas on the importance of sea power influenced navies around the world and helped prompt ...
Cold War5/11/2009
  Q: I am doing a US history project for school, and one of the requirements is to find an expert as a ...
  A: There would be more consumer goods available, housing ownership would be available to more citizens, ...
Capt. Jabez Snow5/8/2009
  Q: My ancestor fought in the Seige of Quebec, October, 1690. He was wounded, returned to Eastham, Mass ...
  A: You can contact the following in regard to Massachusetts: *Department of Veterans' Services ...
drummer boys5/4/2009
  Q: What is the Difference between southern and northern drummer boy of the civil war
  A: There wasn't any real difference between the Northern and Southern drummer boys. The both performed ...
WW II Draft Deferments4/28/2009
  Q: I have been told that there was a draft deferment for those who could determine the sex of a ...
  A: This is true. The deferment would fall under vital occupations that required a deferment due to its ...
early american history4/13/2009
  Q: Good afternoon - years ago I remember reading a story about a person, whom I belive was a governor ...
  A: After checking the list of governors of all southern states in the U.S., the only one that comes up ...
trying to find information about grandfather4/13/2009
  Q: when he was in WWll. He was crash and rescue for the army air. not quite sure of rank or anything ...
  A: The movie was High Noon and it was shot on many locations throughout California. His records can be ...
The Term "Leatherneck"4/11/2009
  Q: What is the origin of the term "Leatherneck?" When was it first used to refer a Marine/Soldier? I do ...
  A: Happy Easter and the answer to your question in regard to the Barbary Wars is that this type of ...
i have no clue4/10/2009
  Q: I dont know anything about guns. I have recieved as a gift a 1903 rock island springfield. how much ...
  A: Happy Easter and in regard to the Black Powder 45 caliber rifle and the Dan Wesson .357 Ruger; I can ...
The 92nd Infantry Division and the Italian Campaign in WWII4/7/2009
  Q: My daughter has an upcoming project specific to WWII. She has chosen to report on the Italian ...
  A: I don't know him personally but unit associations are usually run by individuals who were with that ...
cannons4/6/2009
  Q: Where is a Revolutionary War cannon made by the Hughes brothers at Mt. Aetna furnace in Washington ...
  A: M. Riggle, A cannon that was manufactured during the American Revolution has either ...
number of fins in missile4/5/2009
  Q: i was reading a book and saw some drawing of missiles+rockets with more than 4 fins but i couldn`t ...
  A: The Control Surfaces or "fins" have a different number of fins that act against air resistance to ...
Bronze Order of Mercury4/5/2009
  Q: I was recently awarded the Bronze Order of Mercury and have been inquiring about when it is ...
  A: This is an award given by the U.S. Army Signal Corps Regimental Association to any military and/or ...
Dixie Division4/4/2009
  Q: Robert, My friends father served in the Army from 19 Feb 1951 to 29 Jan 1953. He was stationed at ...
  A: When the Korean War broke out and the American soldiers were sent to fight, the U.S. Army realized ...
History of military hat4/3/2009
  Q: I have an authentic military hat which my great grandfater who was navy captain received from ...
  A: This is a black cocked hat worn by U.S. naval officers from the War of 1812 to World War I. It was ...
Draft Registration During the Vietnam War3/26/2009
  Q: Were people required to register for the draft at the age of 18 or 19 during the Vietnam War? Did ...
  A: Yes, they were required to register for the draft when they turned 18. I had to in November, 1971. ...
cannon ball3/25/2009
  Q: I have purchased,what looks like a cannon ball to me,and it looks a little crude with a sort of seam ...
  A: After doing some research and long distance phone calls, I can't pin down the exact war or type of ...
surrender papers3/25/2009
  Q: My father flew B-25s in WWII. His group dropped leaflets over the islands where the A bombs were ...
  A: After many long distance phone calls, you should contact The National Archives at the following: ...
paratroopers3/21/2009
  Q: I am being told by a fellow at work that during world war 2 paratroopers jumped from gliders into ...
  A: There were never any combat jumps made from a glider. It would have made sense to issue glider ...
Generals Star Placards on Vehicles3/20/2009
  Q: Sir, Where, in history, did the Generals Star need to be displayed on vehicles come from? Where did ...
  A: It evolved from the stars that were placed on the blanket that you placed over the horse before ...
Signal Corp bases3/16/2009
  Q: LTC Lynn, My husband just braduated OCS and is entering signal corp training in May. We need to ...
  A: Good, His first duty station will be attending the U.S. Army Signal Corps School ...
My Grandfathers Platoon3/13/2009
  Q: My Grandfather Is very sick, and is to die very soon, and my family would like to get some ...
  A: I have the history of the 185th Infantry Regiment, 40th Infantry Division-California National Guard ...
U.S. Military Draft during the 1950s3/12/2009
  Q: Did the Selective Service System/Draft use classifications 1-A, 4-F, etc. in the 1950s as in World ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been out of the country on a short term ...
Seleucus' defeat by Chandragupta Maurya3/12/2009
  Q: I've been doing some readings on the campaigns of Seleucus I. In 305, he invaded India and was ...
  A: Seleucus I or Seleucus I Nicator was a Macedonian officer of Alexander the Great. In 305 B.C., he ...
WWII V-6 insignia USNR3/11/2009
  Q: I was wandering if you would be able to show me what the sleeve insignia would look like for a V-6 ...
  A: There is no insignia for a V-6 in the U.S. Naval Reserve during World War II. From December, 1942 to ...
family military history3/8/2009
  Q: I am having a hard time finding military information for my family members--but I do have some ...
  A: You should contact the National Records Personnel Center in St. Louis, Missouri at the following web ...
Signal Corps3/5/2009
  Q: Did the Signal Corps ever use light aircraft (with enlisted pilots) to string cable? Specifically in ...
  A: Yes, they did. The U.S. Army had organic aviation assets that included L-2 Grasshopper, L-3 ...
funeral flag3/5/2009
  Q: my father inlaw will be burried on fri. 3/6/09 he is survived by five kids ....my question is does ...
  A: It is the next of kin and if there is more than one, then the five children (in this case) would ...
Short lived unit3/5/2009
  Q: I am trying to do research regarding my grandfather Benjamin C. Decker. I tried to get his military ...
  A: Here is the information you requested: The 826th Engineer Aviation Battalion was formed on 17 June ...
US Military Service Number3/2/2009
  Q: Sir, I'm trying to find out if my g-grandfather served in WW1. The census says that he served, and ...
  A: The service number he was given in World War I would be different then the one given to him in World ...
WWII ETO Campaigns2/25/2009
  Q: Col Lynn, This is Al Cagle, also an expert on the MH board. I sent that question to you about the ...
  A: After checking with the U.S. Army Center for Military History and noted Vietnam War military ...
Fort McNair History2/25/2009
  Q: So I was stationed at Fort McNair in DC many years ago. There was a story that the flagpole was not ...
  A: After checking with the Public Affairs Office of Ft. McNair and the U.S. Army Center for Military ...
WWII Engineers2/23/2009
  Q: I am trying to gather information on my grandfathers military service. I know he was enilsted from ...
  A: You are right that APO 331 was assigned to Okinawa and that he was an engineer. He would have been ...
empire2/23/2009
  Q: 1. The top ten empires are: Ming, Tang, British, Spanish, Russian, Soviet Bloc, Ottomon, Persian, ...
  A: There are many types of rankings but here are the most common: *Total Land *Contiguous Area Of ...
empires2/22/2009
  Q: 1. Does Ming, Tang, British, and Spanish Empire makes top ten empires? 2. What about Aztec, Inca, ...
  A: Here are the answers: 1. Yes but in this order: British, Spanish, Ming, and Tang. 2. No and they ...
Uniform identification2/22/2009
  Q: My great-grandfather was a missionary in South Africa from approx. 1898 to 1904. I have attached a ...
  A: This type of uniform was one of just many worn by the many Volunteers, Irregulars, And Auxiliaries ...
empire2/18/2009
  Q: 1. Here is my lists of world major empires: Roman, Han, Tang, Song, Ming, Venetian, Ottomon, Huns, ...
  A: You can go Wikipedia and type in the following phrases and they will come up with a detailed list of ...
olf metal military buttons2/16/2009
  Q: I have gotten several metal military button, possible lapel or other pins that were my ...
  A: These are known as the Eagle Buttons. This is the universal U.S. eagle pattern that was worn on all ...
Airborne2/15/2009
  Q: Here are some questions for a project I’m doing on Airborne. I appreciate it if you could send me ...
  A: Here are the answers you requested: 1. Vietnam was, in essence, the first airborne war. The war was ...
Infantry crossed Rifles Hat Insignia2/11/2009
  Q: My received from her mother a hat pin-screww on nut in rear-that is crossed swords with a 1 above ...
  A: Infantry has crossed rifles and cavalry has crossed sabres. The D below the crossed sabres denotes ...
French Pin2/5/2009
  Q: I found a pin that appears to be a French "award". It's approximately 2 inches high. It has 5 red ...
  A: After looking through my sources, The best place that can answer your question is the following: ...
WWII Tanks2/3/2009
  Q: How many M-4-4 Tanks survived General Patton Unit from Normandy to Checskisvakia. He in Gloucester ...
  A: Miller, You can contact the General George S. Patton Museum by going to ...
WWII MOS Information1/30/2009
  Q: My grandfather served in WWII from 23 Oct 1942 until 14 Oct 1945. I am looking at a copy of his ...
  A: Williams, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been on ...
W W 1- dog tags1/29/2009
  Q: In a box my husbands great uncle keep during world war 1, while in France, we found what looks like ...
  A: This is a World War I Imperial German Army Hundermarke or ID Tag. You can contact the German Embassy ...
1195th engineer combat group1/25/2009
  Q: Sir, any info on the 1195th engineer combat group HHC would be appreciated. My father was a sergeant ...
  A: The proper designation for the HHC, 1195th Engineer Combat Group is Headquarters Headquarters ...
Wagoner1/25/2009
  Q: I was wondering about my grandfather Bourlands job responsibilities as a WW1 Wagoner. He told me ...
  A: The American Expeditionary Force (AEF) were allocated between 1,000 to 2,000 horses and mules in ...
military awards/grave markers1/22/2009
  Q: My husband recently passed away--he was awarded a Bronze Star and a Silver Star in WWII. I ...
  A: Request VA Form 40-1330 Application For Standard Government Headstone Or Marker and fill in Block 9 ...
Dog Tag issuance1/18/2009
  Q: I have a great great grandfather who passed away long ago, but recently we found a dog tag in a ...
  A: In regard to your dog tag, it was made locally. All U.S. military dog tags have certain information ...
research on nurses on bataan1/17/2009
  Q: Would you suggest (point me in the right direction)for the information in the subject line. (I am a ...
  A: Cardinali, Here are two points of contact: *U.S. Army Center of Military History ...
My great grandfather's WWII service1/16/2009
  Q: I am wondering if you could help me out with a 2 part question I have. The first part is I am ...
  A: Jackson, You can request your grandfather's military, training, dental, and medical ...
B. Co, 328th CSH information1/13/2009
  Q: I just read about the general history of the 328th, however, I've not been able to find many ...
  A: P., The 328th CSH deployment schedules were as follows: December, 2004-June, 2006: ...
WWI or WWII Military Supply Cabinet1/11/2009
  Q: I have no idea how my grandfather (in both WWI and WWII) got ahold of a Military Supply Cabinet. It ...
  A: I have never heard of a "No German selling policy on E-Bay" but you should re-word it as a U.S. ...
Question about Medals and Ribbons in the Army1/11/2009
  Q: iv been trying to find out where and how to get my dad's awards (medals/ribbons) that he got during ...
  A: Please follow these steps: 1. Download and print a copy of the SF-180 in PDF format by going to: ...
Regimental Fencing Masters1/7/2009
  Q: In the course of researching the life of an individual who was a participant in the Napoleonic Wars ...
  A: In addition to its official staff, a regiment would have the unofficial organization of its ...
First Military Tank1/5/2009
  Q: I am doing a research project on The First Military Tank which i know was manufactured in 1915 ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions: *Name of first tank-Little Willie *Photograph of first ...
Crest/Coat of Arms I'm trying to identify1/3/2009
  Q: I stumbled across this coat of arms (or crest? unsure of the difference). I'm not sure if you could ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions: Crest-is a component of an heraldic display, so called ...
Photos of Pins12/29/2008
  Q: Attached is a photo of all the pins (he had multiples of most of them). I did find out that he was ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions: 1. Sergeant First Class (SFC) rank. 2. U.S. Army Service ...
Stars as military awards12/17/2008
  Q: 1. When were stars first awarded to soldiers as military honors? 2. By and to whom were they ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I recently returned from a short overseas ...
Lineage and decorations12/14/2008
  Q: Lynn I have been trying unsucesfully to find any information on my unit's lineage ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been out of the country until a few weeks ...
ww I uncles assignment & duties12/13/2008
  Q: I finally recieved a document from the feds. that gives me mimimum info on my uncle frank. I'm ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I recently returned from overseas. In regard to ...
German Military Arm Band12/12/2008
  Q: we have a arm band that is from an estate that we will doing an auction for with an incredible ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you but I have been on a recent deployment and just got back. I ...
Fort Gates Florida Outpost12/10/2008
  Q: Looking for information on Fort Gates ferry which was originally founded for military operation for ...
  A: I apologize for not answering your question as quickly as possible but I just returned from an ...
Selective Service WWII12/7/2008
  Q: Col Lynn, I am a fellow historian on this board and I have a question. Specifically I am helping a ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I just returned from a short deployment overseas. ...
unit history12/3/2008
  Q: I am a supply SGT for the 328TH CSH.I am looking to put together a unit hiistory.I would love to ...
  A: It was redesignated from the 328th General Hospital (328th Gen Hos). The unit crest design was ...
medals-VietNam-clarification11/24/2008
  Q: Two part question.. Served as medic with 9th Infantry, 69-70. Yet, on dd214 shows CIB award, as ...
  A: Here is the information you requested: http://www.cufon.org/CRG/memo/186587.html Corrections To DD ...
war of mexico11/19/2008
  Q: How did the United States become involved in a war of Mexico and what were the results and ...
  A: Relations between the U.S. and Mexico turned hostile when Mexico refused to accept the U.S. ...
Ancestor's records from Franco-Prussian War11/19/2008
  Q: My Great Grandfather was born in Deidesheim, Germany 186??. We were told his father was in a War, ...
  A: If your grandfather was born in the 1860s, then he would be too young to have served in the ...
1276 Engineer Combat Battalion11/18/2008
  Q: I am looking for any information on the 1276 Engineer Combat Battalion which was part of XIII Corp ...
  A: Formed in Iceland from the 1st Battalion, 5th Engineer Regiment on 6 December 1943. It arrived in ...
army puc on marine uniform11/16/2008
  Q: Where does the Army PUC go on a Marine Corp uniform? I was awarded this with 2/9 marines for our ...
  A: The Army PUC (formerly called the Distinguished Unit Citation or Distinguished Unit Badge in 1942 ...
1. American Merchant Marine WW2. 2. Franco Prussian deserters..11/13/2008
  Q: 1 How can I find details of an Australian who served in the American Merchant Marine during WW2. 2 ...
  A: You can contact the Military Attache Office at the German Embassy in Washington D.C. at 4645 ...
922nd Air Base Security Battalion11/12/2008
  Q: my father was a member of this unit from 1943-1945. Because it was likely a temporary WWII Unit, I ...
  A: Crawford, Jr., First, let me apologize for not getting back to you sooner with ...
PIPS - person in place ?11/12/2008
  Q: what are the colored bars or tabs on the upper left of a high ranking officer in the US or other ...
  A: The colored bars are called Leadership Tabs which are worn on the shoulder epaulettes in the U.S. ...
My farthers WW 1 discharge papers11/11/2008
  Q: My father served in the US Army in WW1. I have his serial # and some of the places in the US he ...
  A: You can contact the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri at the following web ...
The Great Depression11/11/2008
  Q: In light of the economy toady, I was wondering if you had any information on how military families ...
  A: The information you are requesting is pretty extensive and detailed but one of the best books is ...
Col. A.C. Ott11/9/2008
  Q: I'm not sure you can help, but here goes. I just bought a piece of trench art, and engraved on it is ...
  A: You should contact the National Personal Records Center or NRPC. They have a list of all officers ...
MP units At MacDill AF 1945 (POW side)11/2/2008
  Q: I am trying to find out what Military Police unit was stationed at MacDill AF FL 1945 that was ...
  A: After checking with the National Archives in Suitland, Maryland and the Historical Office of the ...
insignia10/30/2008
  Q: ref the owl and rose insignia question earlyer... it was on a british ferret scout car,the owl was ...
  A: I finally located a photograph of it on a scout car but it doesn't state what unit it belonged to. ...
Army Personnel Records, WW210/28/2008
  Q: My father was in WW2, in the battle for the Phillipenes. I have some of his sick call records, but ...
  A: Holland, Here is the information you requested: *The 192nd Field Artillery ...
Gulf War...Good or Bad?10/26/2008
  Q: I am doing a project about the Gulf War. My class has to pick a side...good or bad and then do a ...
  A: The reasons for the U.S. not to invade Kuwait: 1. There were two (2) transcripts of the meeting ...
chemical warfare experiments10/25/2008
  Q: Here's a tough one for you. In 1953, the Army chemical warfare experiments included spraying clouds ...
  A: The specifics of the chemical air spraying project conducted in 1953 was conducted by the U.S. Army ...
HMS Anandaga10/24/2008
  Q: I recently became interested in the HMS Anandaga which sank in the bay off of the Town of York, now ...
  A: The HMS Onondaga was a 14-gun schooner that weighed 80 tons and was the flagship of Commodore Jean ...
F4J Phantom10/22/2008
  Q: My father worked on F4 Phantom jets aboard the USS Independence in the 60's as a USMC aircraft ...
  A: The USS Independence (CVA-62) served on line for a total of 100 days: 5 June 1965-21 November 1965. ...
379t Infantry Division10/13/2008
  Q: My father was a heavy machine gunner in WWII. My parents were divorced shortly after the war so I ...
  A: The 379th Infantry Regiment, 95th Infantry Division (Victory Division) was organized on 15 Jluy 1942 ...
Midieval weaponry10/9/2008
  Q: Lynn, I am a student at Hermann Middle school. I am studying medieval weaponry and warfare. Would ...
  A: Since your question would require a very long, long answer; please type in your search engine the ...
CIB Cold War DMZ Veteran10/9/2008
  Q: I served on the DMZ after Jan 1969 for five months, with 7th ID A Co 1/32. During that time A&C ...
  A: Here is the answer to yourKorea: Subsequent to 4 January 1969, a soldier must have- 1. Served in ...
21 gun salute10/8/2008
  Q: Where can I find a list of events/persons that require or could receive a 21 gun salute? Our firing ...
  A: This is the following information you requested: A 21-gun salute is rendered on the arrival and ...
spartan war tactics spread in europe10/8/2008
  Q: How did the Spartan war tactics spread to Europe
  A: After reaching its zenith in the conquests of Alexander the Great, the phalanx as a military ...
5th Marine Regiment Emblem10/6/2008
  Q: I have been asked by my Platoon Sgt. To find out why the 5th Marine Regiment emblem has a 5 Seahorse ...
  A: Schulz, First, the five seahorses represent the 5th Marines and second, the ...
U.S. Army units on Attu10/5/2008
  Q: My father I believe was assigned to the 1308 Eng. Batt. on Attu. during WW2. I was led to believe ...
  A: Blumberg, The only 1308th Engineer Battalion was a 1308th Engineer General Service ...
Military Records for Conscription (Prussia) 1855-187310/2/2008
  Q: I am trying to determine if my great grandfather had to serve in the military when he was a citizen ...
  A: Conscription was instituted in Prussia in 1814 and service was for 7 years, of which 3 would be in ...
firearms9/26/2008
  Q: im doing a research,and my question is what was the impact of firearms in the ninetenth century wars ...
  A: The introduction of firearms was important, but guns on African battlefields were often of ...
ww29/24/2008
  Q: i sent you an email about my brother in the south pacific ww2 i am trying to find something about ...
  A: Yes, I do know about the Revolutionary War and will answer your questions in that regard. The 863rd ...
Searching my father9/22/2008
  Q: My daughter and I have been trying to track my father for years but the St Louis fire keeps re ...
  A: Donnellan Jr., Here is the complete history of the 328th Infantry Regiment, ...
ww29/21/2008
  Q: my uncle was with co b 320th med bn ww2 in europe can you give me any history thanks very much
  A: Vaughn, Bravo Company, 320th Medical Battalion was one of the units assigned to the ...
WWI and WW2 Research9/20/2008
  Q: Pestering you again. :) Here are some questions for my novel that I'm hoping you can help me with: ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but here are the answers you requested: 1. This was ...
Korean War9/15/2008
  Q: I was wondering if you could tell me 2 or 2 reasons why the korean war was a defining moment in ...
  A: Here is the answer to your1. It solidified Canada's position in regard to the creation of the ...
WW1 88th Inf. Div.9/15/2008
  Q: WW1 88th Infantry Division France 1919 My Grandfather was in the 349th Infantry Regiment. This ...
  A: In answer to your question, you should go to the following web site and direct your request to them: ...
Korean War9/12/2008
  Q: I have to write an essay about a controversy to do with Canada in the Korean War, but I have done ...
  A: There are two: 1. The debate centered on what type of contribution Canada should provide. It was ...
History of APO/FPO Addresses9/11/2008
  Q: I seem to remember someone saying that the APO/FPO addresses had multiple reasons - obviously the ...
  A: It was created for one reason to give the approximate location of the military mail recipient and ...
the falklands war9/9/2008
  Q: why did Britain win the Falklands war? any help regarding this matter would be much appreciated ...
  A: Great Britain won the Falklands War due to the following reasons: *The superior air combat training ...
WW2 Research9/8/2008
  Q: I was delighted to have happened across this website while doing WW2 research late last night. Oh, ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions: 1. In an effort to be fair to everyone, a system known as ...
379th infantry regiment in the ETO9/4/2008
  Q: I have a request concerning the 379th infantry regiment of the 95th ID during WW2. Searching for ...
  A: The 379th Infantry Regiment was organized at Camp Swift, Texas on 15 July 1942 and assigned to the ...
info on WW I dog tags8/18/2008
  Q: Why do some WW I dog tags have only name, serial number, and USA on them whereas others have this ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I have recently returned from an overseas ...
Military ediquette at funerals8/17/2008
  Q: When Christian men are in prayer they are required to remove their head covering (hats), I Cor 11:4, ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I have been on deployment and only recently ...
Can I get a Roster of 13th Combat Eng Bn in WWII8/13/2008
  Q: My father may have been in the Unit mentioned by you in your answer to me. Are rosters of the men ...
  A: , I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I recently returned from an ...
signing peace treaty, deck of missouri8/12/2008
  Q: My father was on the deck of the Missouri when the peace treaty was signed. He has since passed away ...
  A: After checking with the U.S. Naval Historical Center and contacting the USS Missouri site, there was ...
Army patch8/11/2008
  Q: A friend was stationed at Ft. Hood, TX and discharged in 1977. She was assigned to Co C 57th Sig Bn. ...
  A: The 57th Signal Battalion was attached to the 3rd Signal Brigade which in turn was attached to III ...
History of army tactics8/9/2008
  Q: Sir, I need to do a history report for NCOES school and would like to write a report on how Army ...
  A: You can go to www.usregulars.com for tactics used by the U.S. Army up to the end of the War Between ...
Treaty on the USS Missouri8/8/2008
  Q: My father was a sailor on the USS South Dakota which was in Tokyo harbor at the time of the treaty ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I recently returned from overseas and here is the ...
war trophies8/7/2008
  Q: what is the origin of the tradition of keeping silver trophies in officers mess ? ANSWER: Dear ...
  A: You can search the Internet under the words "War Trophies" because I don't know what era of military ...
"rockets red glare"8/7/2008
  Q: My husband, Dexter, and I have just watched a Gettysburg historical piece on the Military channel. ...
  A: These were the famous Congreve Rockets invented by Sir William Congreve 2nd Baronet in 1805. They ...
Origin of US Army Post Names8/1/2008
  Q: LTC Lynn, My name is Joel from Georgia. I am curious what is the history of the actual names of ...
  A: Ft. Stewart, Georgia (home of the Third Infantry Division-Rock of the Marne) was named after General ...
Headquarter Squadron, MAG-12, 1st MAW7/23/2008
  Q: I'm trying to find information about the MAG-12 during WWII between April 21, 1945 - April 30, 1946. ...
  A: From December, 1944 to August, 1945, MAG-12 was conducting combat sorties against the Japanese from ...
!st Air Calvary, Vietnam, 1967-19687/19/2008
  Q: My brother was in Vietnam from 1967-1968. Him and his fellow soldiers used the word Unicorn. But ...
  A: The unicorn was a common title in Vietnam and was a symbol associated with various cavalry units, ...
Replacement Battalions in WWII7/18/2008
  Q: I have references via morning reports concerning my grandfather's transfer from and to specific ...
  A: Grogan, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I just got back from ...
Cher Ami, carrier pigeon7/16/2008
  Q: I wonder if you know who trained and flew Cher Ami, hero of the Lost Battalion? I think it would ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I just returned from overseas. Here is the answer ...
sword7/15/2008
  Q: How much is a Japanese samuri sword worth?
  A: It varies with the length, type, craftmanship, condition, and age of each sword. They can range in ...
US Army Amphibious Landing Training Base Cape Cod MA7/13/2008
  Q: More exactly it was located on a peninsula now called Seacoast Shores in the village of Waquoit. ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been out of town. There are two places that ...
silver star on grave marker7/13/2008
  Q: My dad was wwii veteran & fought in the European theater. His grave marker shows he had been awarded ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I recently returned from a short overseas tour ...
about 57th ORD in Manila WWII7/9/2008
  Q: My grandfather was with the 57th ORD and I was wondering what patches and unit crest were worn, he ...
  A: The only 57thOrdnance units overseas in World War II were the 57th Ordnance Ammunition Company and ...
Canadian WW2 helmet7/7/2008
  Q: I bought a helmet today at a flea market, the guy there was selling authentic army stuff. I saw a ...
  A: The information you need to get can be found by contacting the Canadian Minister of Defense office ...
reason for fighting wars6/26/2008
  Q: Have most of the time, people fought wars over land? Or was it mostly over religion? I read that ...
  A: The first thing to remember is that "War is an extension of politics by other means". Wars have been ...
Navy Hospital6/22/2008
  Q: Lynn and thank you for your time. I have a 1948 document that refers to a doctor from "Naval ...
  A: Your question is very broad because the U.S. Navy had hospitals that were shut down, merged with ...
Military conscription 19C Hesse6/19/2008
  Q: Was there military conscription in the 1850s in the Rheingau region. It was then part of the Duchy ...
  A: Here is an article entitled Hessians: The Best Armies Money Could Buy. Type it in your search engine ...
four star general6/11/2008
  Q: Have you any information on a General Gally Paxton? I have been told he was in four wars, WWI, WWII, ...
  A: I checked with the U.S. Army Center of Military History in Carlisle, Pennsylvania as well as noted ...
Battan nurses??6/4/2008
  Q: I have another question for you. This excerpt is from a letter written by my Dad from Mindanao ...
  A: Finchaven was in New Guinea and 66 U.S. Army nurses were interned with Allied civilians on the ...
Tracking the 909th Signal Co.5/31/2008
  Q: My father (Major C.O.Turner) came from Egypt with Gen Berereton and staff to prepare for the ...
  A: The small bit of information that I have been able to get is that it was deployed to northern France ...
military history5/27/2008
  Q: who in introduced the army service number, and who if anybody is number 1
  A: In The U.S., it was introduced on 28 February 1918 and abolished in 1974. The first person was ...
silver oak leaf pin several other items of LTC WILLIAM ORMSBY5/26/2008
  Q: HOW CAN I GET IN TOUCH OR LOCATE LTC ORMSBY...? HE YEARS AGO LIVED IN LAKEWOOD CALIFORNIA AND HAD A ...
  A: You can contact the Air Force Personnel Center at the following: AFPC/DPSIAR 550 C Street ...
WWI5/15/2008
  Q: My name is Shane Gersbach. I'm an eighth grader at Alderwood Middle in Washington state. I was ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions: 1. Our involvement was caused by the following-seven U.S. ...
persian gulf war5/14/2008
  Q: my names is Oscar Covarrubias i'm an 8th grader in alderwood middle school which is located in ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions: 1. The First Gulf War was fought over oil and it was an ...
military tradition5/4/2008
  Q: What is the origin of the 21 gun salute? What does it relate to? Do you also know what SORTIE stands ...
  A: Beginning in the colonial period, the U.S. fired one shot for each state of the Union as its ...
vmail4/29/2008
  Q: i have family vmail as follows: can you tell me where they were on these dates (US Army)? also, ...
  A: There were 14 Replacement Depots of the U.S. Army Ground Forces Reinforcement Command in England ...
3 spent rounds4/28/2008
  Q: When presenting the three spent rounds , to family members, whats the proper wording, said by the ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I have been out of state on personal business and ...
Role of Filipino soldiers in WW1 from the Philippines sent to Europe w/ AEF4/22/2008
  Q: any info about a Philippine native Tomas Claudio, Pvt USMC AEF killed in Battle of Chateau Thierry, ...
  A: Embry, The U.S. Marines weren't engaged at Chateau Thierry but they were engaged at ...
question..4/15/2008
  Q: me and a friend are having a debate. in WWII when the atom bomb was used on Japan, the two bombs ...
  A: Little Boy was dropped on Hiroshima on August 6, 1945. It had the following specifications: 4,000 ...
Hollywood vs History4/11/2008
  Q: I'm interested in the Hollywood vs History angle. The film "300" won big at the box office so it ...
  A: Here is a list of 21 films noted for their historical inaccuracies: The Alamo Gladiator 300 The ...
Rommel-military genius?4/9/2008
  Q: I'm a leaving cert student living in Ireland and i've recently done a project on Rommel's role in ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I have been out of the U.S. and recently ...
379th exact locations WWII ETO4/6/2008
  Q: It clarifies a photo we recently acquired from a fellow researcher.Where can we find a list or map ...
  A: You can get a list of maps from the U.S. Army Center of Military History located in Carlisle, ...
95th Div. 379th Company H 2ndplatoon4/6/2008
  Q: My husband has been researching his father's WWII service in the 95th Div. 379th Co H 2nd platoon. ...
  A: The 379th Infantry Regiment was organized on 15 July 1942 at Camp Swift Texas and was assigned to ...
Conscription3/30/2008
  Q: I am doing research for a novel that includes pre-World War One Germany. I have four questions ...
  A: Spark, Here are the answers to your questions: 1. It was in 1867 with the von Roon ...
Military Depots - WWII3/29/2008
  Q: I have my dad's diary, and he keeps mentioning 14 depot, 16 depot, 18 depot, and 19 depot. Is there ...
  A: Here is the information you requested on the Reinforcement Depots (sometimes called Replacement ...
uniform patch3/28/2008
  Q: Hi, I recently lost my dear Uncle who was a WWII vet. He was in the Army Infantry, 2nd Div.(Indian ...
  A: Popp, If you can send me a photograph of the items in question as an attachment, then I ...
US vs. other countries' casualty stats3/28/2008
  Q: My brother contends that the US has killed more victims during wars/conflicts than any other country ...
  A: There is information in regard to the wars that the U.S. has been involved in but your brother seems ...
german military service3/24/2008
  Q: In the 1800's, at what age would a young man begin his military service in Germany, and how long did ...
  A: prior to the von Roon Reforms of 1867, it varied with each individual German state but after 1867, ...
Bofor Gunnery - Naval3/23/2008
  Q: When was the last time Bofor Guns were used in anger in the Royal Australian Navy?. I suspect in ...
  A: The last firing demonstration at sea was between January, 2007 to March, 2007; the last firing on ...
Units my father served in during WWII3/16/2008
  Q: I am looking for info on my fathers unit in the Aleutian Islands during WWII. He served with the ...
  A: , Are you sure your father's unit was the 3rd Engineer Construction Battalion? ...
Final Results of U.S. ground troops during Operation Desert Storm--February 19913/14/2008
  Q: Did any U.S. ground troops cross the Kuwait border into Iraq during Operation Desert Storm in ...
  A: No, VII Corps and XVIII Airborne Corps were the only units that crossed the border from their ...
catapults3/12/2008
  Q: How does catapults interest you? I'm doing catapults as a school project so i am asking some ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you but I just returned from overseas and was unable to get on a ...
CIB and Bronze Star with "V"2/15/2008
  Q: Sir, I read with great interest you comment pertaining to the Army awarding Bronze Stars "V" to CIB ...
  A: Hawley, This only applies to World War II veterans. Those soldiers that served ...
German conscription records2/12/2008
  Q: My gr-grandfather fled Uberlingen Germany (abt 1876) to the US at age 15 in order to escape ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been out of the country on active duty and ...
German military Presence 1885 period Alsace2/3/2008
  Q: I have a man listed as a Sergent in the Infantry regiment # 126, in Strassbourg, Alsace Lorraine ...
  A: The German 126 Regiment was one of the units assigned to the German 39th Division in the 15th Corps' ...
Royal Navy in the Bahamas2/1/2008
  Q: To make a long story short, I'm writing a historical novel. (I'd like to say "sea story" but ...
  A: While there were no repair or dry dock facilities in the Bahamas, there were in Jamaica and Antigua. ...
Female surgeons in the Korean War1/24/2008
  Q: How many women served as surgeons, either from the USA or in total, during the Korean Conflict/War? ...
  A: I would like to apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I was finally able to find the ...
AWARD OF THE PUS TO THE 5th Marine Regiment1/23/2008
  Q: I served with the 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines in Vietnam from March 29, 1966 until mid Feburary, ...
  A: I made a phone call to Ms. A.D. Amerman (GS-11) Historian at the Historical Reference Branch of the ...
151 Trans Company1/22/2008
  Q: I am working on a reunion of the 151 trans co (LT. Trk) I would like to know just what happened to ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been out of the country on a short ...
WW II MOS list1/12/2008
  Q: Col. Lynn, I'm looking for a list of the 1940's MOS. In particular I'm looking for the MOS from 950 ...
  A: The following information was provided by the U.S. Naval Historical Center at 202-433-4132: call the ...
Patches and Bars on WW2 Uniform1/10/2008
  Q: After my grandmother's passing, we found my grandfather's WW2 Army Uniform. Is there a resource ...
  A: I could give you a number of web sites but if you send it to me; it will be quicker. My E-Mail is ...
798th ENGR FORESTRY CO1/9/2008
  Q: My stepfather served in the Army from 22 Mar 1943 - 4 Dec 1945. His name was Paul O. Haney, Army ...
  A: You can contact the National Personal Records Center by searching their web site and requesting his ...
When Did...1/2/2008
  Q: I was wondering in what year, the Canadian military personnel was given the right to vote. I have ...
  A: The slow struggle over the franchise came to a head during World War I, in one of the most shocking ...
Could use a hand12/31/2007
  Q: Mr. Lynn its an honor first off . Second , my Grandfather is 85 and nearing his time . His father , ...
  A: Russell, The 16th Machine Gun Battalion was organized on 25 December 1917 from ...
Military History/Tradiations12/19/2007
  Q: There is a tradiation of Officers/SNCO serving JNCO and other ranks a drink calleds "GUNFIRE", ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I'm getting ready for deployment overseas. Here ...
chain of command12/18/2007
  Q: Why was the chain of command put into place?
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I have been preparing for deployment overseas. ...
Obtaining Dad's WWII dog tags for my son12/16/2007
  Q: How do I go about getting a copy of my Dad's WWII dog tags for my son who carries his name ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been very busy over the past couple of weeks ...
What about Chief Warrent officers12/14/2007
  Q: Since they are commissioned, Where do they rank among regular officers like yourself. Becuase you ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I'm getting ready to deploy overseas and I've ...
WWI(?) id tag(?)12/5/2007
  Q: Found in the personal effects of a recently deceased family member. Family lore has it belonging to ...
  A: Dog tags were either circular or oval-shaped by regulations. Some dog tags that were privately made ...
ancient japanese military tactics12/2/2007
  Q: I was wondering where i could get some info on ancient Japanese military tactics without using ...
  A: The following information is provided: ...
Strange Egyptian Weapon11/28/2007
  Q: I was looking at the weapons used by the figures in the Medinet Habu relief of the Egyptian-Sea ...
  A: Here is the list: Pataliputra-319 BC Maghada-317 BC Mayalaketu-317 BC Takshashila-316 BC ...
Gloves Off11/20/2007
  Q: I recently attended the funeral of a retired Fire Chief who had served in the US Navy. At the end of ...
  A: Happy Thanksgiving and it is an old U.S. Navy custom which began during World War I. Sailors were ...
The Battle of the Bulge, and Hitler's Counteroffensive11/17/2007
  Q: 1. Why did Adolf Hitler launch his counteroffensive? 2. What were his goals in the ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been out of town for Thanksgiving. Here are ...
Military Funeral Tradition11/15/2007
  Q: Just this past week, a very close friend was killed while on active duty in Afganistan. His funeral ...
  A: Here are two web sites that will interest you: http://www.usflag.org/foldflag.html ...
military law11/9/2007
  Q: There is someone new in my little town that came from somewhere up North. Maybe it's just that I ...
  A: Impersonating an officer, warrant officer, or NCO is an offense under the UCMJ. It is Article 134. ...
more information about the 9th MAW during WWII11/8/2007
  Q: My grandfather, William T. Sedlak, served in the Marine Wing Service Squadron Nine, 9th MAW, from ...
  A: The 9th Marine Aircraft Wing (MAW) was activated on 1 April 1944 at Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) ...
Alexander the Great11/4/2007
  Q: I am a 6th grader doing a History Fair Project and the title is "Alexander the Great, or was he"? ...
  A: Here is the answer to your1. He was trained in philosophy by Aristotle. 2. Tamed the horse ...
campaign cover for range officers10/31/2007
  Q: what is the history behind the squirrel nuts of the campaign cover for the range officers in the ...
  A: After making a phone call to Headquarters Marine Corps-Historical Division; they told me there is no ...
quotes/manual10/30/2007
  Q: I have seen the quote stating that" enlisted men bear watching"....i would like the entire quote or ...
  A: The fullquote is as follows: "Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear ...
repo depo's10/29/2007
  Q: Please give me details on the functioning of the WWII replacement depots. Also, if you can include a ...
  A: In 1940, the War Department adopted a new plan and special training organizations, known as ...
Stages of Empire10/27/2007
  Q: During our lunch conversation at work last week the topic turned to history along with the present ...
  A: I have looked as well for many days but can find no reference at all. The stages for a democracy are ...
Naval Crown origins10/19/2007
  Q: I am interested in Naval history and i was wondering where the Naval Crown design came from - I have ...
  A: After contacting the British Embassy in Washington, D.C., the following information was given to me: ...
WW II10/9/2007
  Q: My uncle(serial#34984847)was drafted in 1944. His basic training was in Camp Blanding,Fl in ...
  A: A.G.F.R.D. 1 means Army Ground Forces Replacement Depot Number 1 Fort Geroge G. Meade, Maryland. ...
military question10/4/2007
  Q: I am in my high school's newspaper and I am writing an article on how the military has two different ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've just returned from Washington D.C. and this ...
95th Infantry 379th10/2/2007
  Q: My Grandfather was a machine gunner for the 95th 379th. He has a few ribbons that he was awarded ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you soooner but I've been in Washington D.C. and just got back ...
WW II, Replacement Co., Repl Bn9/24/2007
  Q: I have been trying to locate my paternal grandfather or any living relatives for some time now. I ...
  A: Cox, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been out of state for about ...
WWII Replacement Companies9/21/2007
  Q: I have several letter from dad in WWII. After shipping out of Fort Ord, Calif in March 1945 his ...
  A: Burbridge, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner with your answer but ...
Battle of Crecy9/18/2007
  Q: What type of armor did the French Knights wear at the Battle of Crecy in 1346?
  A: During the 14th Century the overall trend was the gradual transition from mail to plate armor. When ...
Hand Salute9/10/2007
  Q: We know about the possible origins and reasons for the hand salute but what we would like to know is ...
  A: The salute you are asking about is called the British Navy Salute which was initiated sometime ...
WWII US Army Bases9/4/2007
  Q: My father was stationed in New Orleans in 1942 and I can't remember the name of the base. It was ...
  A: Falkenbury, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I finally tracked down the answer ...
grandfather's dog tags8/23/2007
  Q: My grandfather's dog tag only states his name, his DOB, and claims says US National. He was in ...
  A: Yes, he would have been entitled to the flag on his coffin for his years of faithful and honorable ...
WWII Uniform8/22/2007
  Q: Colonel, I am costuming a play in which a character plays a corporal recently discharged from the ...
  A: Peterson, I must know if this corporal is non-infantry, or airborne, or glider, or ...
Battle of the Bulge8/16/2007
  Q: "I would like to know about the 26th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division's involvement in the Battle of ...
  A: The most detailed and official account is the U.S. Army in World War II "Green Book" series on the ...
199TH AIR AMBULANCE8/13/2007
  Q: CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT THE 199TH MEDICAL(AIR AMBULANCE) COMPANY AND WHEN AND WHY WAS IT SHUT DONE?
  A: After much searching and phone calls, the only 199th Medical Company (Air Ambulance) that comes up ...
medieval Japan8/7/2007
  Q: I want to write a fictional story that takes place in medieval Japan with a fantasy edge to it that ...
  A: You can check out the book entitled, The Samurai Sourcebook by Dr. Stephen R. Turnbull and you can ...
WW18/6/2007
  Q: Considering Britian's motives for entering World War 1, do you think they were a good reason to ...
  A: Great Britian entered into World War I based on naive assumptions of German aims, thereby ...
Flag Presentation7/23/2007
  Q: Just a little background ... My Dad recently passed away and now rests with my Mom in Punchbowl ...
  A: Ishimoto, First, the flag is presented to the next of kin as a keepsake after its ...
WWI7/20/2007
  Q: The psychological effect of the "spanish flu" during WWI either on Flanders Field or preferably on ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been out of the country on military ...
WW II, Replacement Co., Repl Bn7/19/2007
  Q: My father's Ike jacket has both the 8th Armored Patch and the 94th Patch. His separation document ...
  A: APO 551 was Botesdale, England, during 1943 and 1944 but moved to Hadden Hill, England in May, 1944. ...
Pigeons in ww17/17/2007
  Q: I have looked everywhere for information on building a loft for pigeons that would of been used in ...
  A: Here is a photograph of a mobile loft used during World War I: ...
Striking Bells7/17/2007
  Q: Where was the tradition of asking the captains permission to strike 8 Bells on time at 1200 derived ...
  A: Before the advent of seagoing clocks, the intervals between bells was determined by sand glasses. ...
WWI7/13/2007
  Q: Was general "Black Jack" Pershing a rasicist? From what I've researched, he was agreed with ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. Upon graduation from secondary school in 1878, ...
WW17/8/2007
  Q: Can you tell me, in a nutshell, what event (or series of events)and by whom, triggered (pardon the ...
  A: Although it was the assassination of the Austrian Archduke Franz Ferdinand that led to the outbreak ...
search and destroy7/1/2007
  Q: I'm an army soldier in Iraq putting together a small class on search and destroy and how our ...
  A: Search and Destroy, or Seek and Destroy, or simply S&D, refers to a military strategy that became an ...
re: ww1 preserved carrier pigeons6/16/2007
  Q: i am interested in obtaining historical info. and current resources as well on a pair of preserved ...
  A: First, let me apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I did some long distance phone calls ...
My Dad's dog tags6/14/2007
  Q: My Dad's WWI dog tags have the initials DRC in the center of the disk. What do they represent? I ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I called the Quartermaster Corps of the U.S. Army ...
WWII Second Marine Aircraft Wing6/14/2007
  Q: Can you tell me what battles the above-mentioned wing fought in the South Pacific. I have signed ...
  A: The 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing was activated at NAS, San Diego on 10 July 1941 with the 2nd Marine Air ...
Who can we beat?6/11/2007
  Q: Since the 1945 military victory over Japan (which required 2 A-bombs), what has been the U.S. TIED - ...
  A: It depends on who writes your textbooks. The Korean War can be viewed as a loss if our intention was ...
Military Founding Fathers6/11/2007
  Q: We would like to know the founding fathers for the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, and the ...
  A: O'Beirne, Here are the following answers: There are no "founding fathers" of our ...
hey6/9/2007
  Q: in how did patton win all the medals
  A: Here are his U.S. awards: Distinguished Service Cross with one Oak Leaf Cluster Distinguished ...
battlefield commissions6/5/2007
  Q: Were there any battlefield commissions of enlisted men to become officers during operation desert ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I finally found the information you requested ...
Military Colors6/4/2007
  Q: We are a 4th grade classroom and are putting together some research on the branches of the military. ...
  A: O'Beirne's Fourth Grade Class, I apologize for not getting ...
tech sergeant stripes6/3/2007
  Q: My father was in the Army Air Force in the mid 1940s. I am trying to find out what his tech ...
  A: You can go to the following web site and you will be able to see a picture of all the ranks of the ...
general us military history6/1/2007
  Q: What was the worst conflict that the US has been in, in terms of duration and loss of American life? ...
  A: It is heading toward conflicts like Iraq and Afghanistan. The answer as to why can be found by going ...
roman insignia5/24/2007
  Q: Are there any references to Roman Cavalry insignea? In the first century there were four ranks, ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been out of town on vacation. Here is the ...
id tags5/23/2007
  Q: i am a soldier stationed in fort campbell and one of my ncos asked me how may individual beads are ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. In regard to your question, the U.S. Government ...
Roman Army5/9/2007
  Q: Did alexander the great have any influence on the roman army
  A: Sanders, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner and here is your answer: ...
Company roster by platoon5/9/2007
  Q: My late Uncle, Antonio L. Pacheco was a member of E. co. 508 PIR 82nd Airborne Division and Jumped ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been out of town. Here is the answer to your ...
South American-Spanish History4/29/2007
  Q: I was wondering if during the 2nd battle of Cuzco, Pizarro had any native allies or was it just the ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner in regard to this question but I've been preparing to ...
Grandpa's Patch4/23/2007
  Q: my grandpa served in the 973rd Engineer Maintenance Co. from September 2, 1943 until December 31, ...
  A: Your father would have been a sergeant (4th Grade) by the then U.S. Army Air Force rank structure. ...
am revolution4/17/2007
  Q: i am having problems finding information about how the militia was portrayed in the American ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but here is the answer to ...
Battle for Tikrit4/7/2007
  Q: What campaign was the Battle for Tikrit a part of?
  A: Here is Tikrit in regard to its place in world history: ...
WWII German Armband4/2/2007
  Q: I have a German WWII "Organization Todt" armband. Printed on the light brown cotton band is ...
  A: Arbeitet fur O.T. means Worker for Organization Todt. After making some long distance phone calls, I ...
Air Force: WWII pin/medal placement on uniform for burial3/20/2007
  Q: My father, a retired Air Force Major from WWII, passed away on Mar 19, 2007. We are burying him in ...
  A: Please accept my condolences and here is the web site: ...
German Military History3/12/2007
  Q: Has the German Army ever fought a battle on the North American Continent? I am a GED instructor, and ...
  A: Walker, I'm currently a certified Social Studies high school teacher in the state of ...
WWII Bataan Death March3/11/2007
  Q: I am currently researching a novel based on the events of the Bataan Death March and the internment ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. You should go to the following web site and they ...
joining the military3/7/2007
  Q: I'm looking for information about how citizens joined the military from the time period between the ...
  A: From 1775 to 1863, the U.S. depended on three types of soldiers to defend this nation. They were the ...
TREATY OF BUCHAREST3/4/2007
  Q: THIS IS A 2-PART QUESTION. THE TREATY OF BUCHAREST (MAY OF 1812) ENDED THE WAR BETWEEN RUSSIA AND ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions: 1. The Treaty of Bucharest (1812) ended the Russo-Turkish ...
Flags3/3/2007
  Q: I have a flag from WW2 with the fascist symbol on it it is solid black with gold emblem in middle ...
  A: Many flags were locally manufactured and therefore it would be hard to trace its origins. You can ...
koreans shoot down 17 b-29's3/1/2007
  Q: Robert , I had read an article in the past that Korea , after the ceasefire shot down as many as 17 ...
  A: It is called "Black Tuesday" and that date was October 23, 1951 and it would be the last daylight ...
Alexander The Great2/7/2007
  Q: Why is Alexander the Great considered one of the greatest military leaders in history?
  A: I aplogize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been under the weather for a few days and ...
Salutes2/2/2007
  Q: Is it true that countries that have lost major wars salute palm out or is it a myth?
  A: I would like to apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've just come back from overseas ...
Dutch Navy/Marines 1700-17131/25/2007
  Q: I can find no historical references to the uniforms worn by the Dutch Navy/Marines of the period ...
  A: I would like to apologize to you for not getting back to you but I was overseas on deployment. The ...
survival of german males @ end of WW21/22/2007
  Q: read in introduction of book on Sherman's marchn to the sea that by summer of '65, 50% !!! os ...
  A: The only figures I was able to locate were the following: 78,000,000-German pre-war population ...
vietnam tactics1/16/2007
  Q: I'm doing a research projct and I'm lost on what this whole military tactics are and i just need ...
Draft of 1960's1/12/2007
  Q: If you were in college did it make you exempt from the draft in the 1960's
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but here is the answer to yourClass I-S: Student ...
Medal order and placement1/3/2007
  Q: could you tell me the placement order for WW2 medals? The medals are:American ...
  A: Please go to the following web address and you will be able to check off the ones you have and it ...
Alexander the Great1/3/2007
  Q: Alexander the Great was a military Genius what was his social conflicts?
  A: What do you mean by "social conflicts"? Do you mean revolts and uprisings within his empire while he ...
WWII AAF Officer uniform arm patches12/31/2006
  Q: : I'm assembling my uncle's dress uniform for a military museum. 13th AF, 18th FG, 70th FS (KIA ...
  A: Happy New Year and here is the answer to yourU.S. Army Air Corps officers normally wore the 'no. 1' ...
gettysburg12/2/2006
  Q: what kind of weapons and strategies were used during the battle? [please enclose where you obtained ...
  A: Here are some web sites as requested: Strategy and Tactics: ...
WW1 veteran service record11/30/2006
  Q: My grandfather served as a "wagoner" in the supply company for the 349 INFANTRY (Missouri). He told ...
  A: You can request his service record from the National Personnel Records Center located in Kansas ...
vietnam war draft11/28/2006
  Q: If you were the only son in your family would you be eligible for the draft in the Vietnam War? If ...
  A: Please type in your search engine the following, Vietnam Era Draft Classifications. If you were the ...
WWII Uniforms11/24/2006
  Q: Greetings Colonel. I've been interested in getting together whatever it is I may require to ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I just got back from overseas. Here are the ...
Marine Corps F-4J Aircraft11/23/2006
  Q: Many sources state that the First Marine F-4J Aircraft were accepted in 1970 and list the units in ...
  A: It isn't accurate. The first F-4J Phantom was flown in June, 1967 by VMFA-334. Please go to the ...
Italian campaign11/23/2006
  Q: Do you have any good links, sites or info about the italian campaign? if not no anyone who does?
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been overseas and just returned for the ...
WW211/20/2006
  Q: In the Battle of Hurtgen Forest in WW2: What Troops were involved in the battle (and what are ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I just recently returned from overseas. I wrote a ...
Salute11/20/2006
  Q:
  A: I would like to apologize to you for not answering your question sooner but I have just returned ...
Navy11/19/2006
  Q: In British navel history the plate to which sailors ate their rations on had a nickname. Can you ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I did get in touch with the naval attache at the ...
JRC 2674 WWII11/19/2006
  Q: I'm helping a friend find information on his dads service in WWII.He was assigned to the 2674 Reg ...
  A: JRC (Provisional) means Joint Resources Command (Provisional). There is a book on amazon.com on the ...
historical military question11/17/2006
  Q: Cordial Greeting What do you know about the "Battle of Argentoratum" or also known as "Battle of ...
  A: The best description of the Battle of Strasburg can be found at Wikipedia. You type in the following ...
Tomb of the Unknown, Arlington.11/17/2006
  Q: What are the rules of engagement for the guards, should someone disgrace the Tomb? Is the rifle ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I just got back home-23 November 2006. There are ...
artillery11/16/2006
  Q: I am currently enlisted as a delayed entry program for the United States Army and I am doing my ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been away and have only gotten back on 23 ...
usmc pilots/naval aviators11/13/2006
  Q: In 1967 the MC started a program created by Gen, Keith McCutchein of training Marine Pilots with the ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner bur I was out of town and I just got back on 23 ...
F-4 Phantom Marine Corps Service/ Vietnam11/12/2006
  Q: Your site has a paragraph under the F-4 stating the MC claims 3 kills. I am aware of only one by a ...
  A: There were three (3) confirmed MiG kills credited to U.S. Marines during the Vietnam War. The first ...
Military History Colleges/ Universities11/9/2006
  Q: my name is Wes Hawkins, I am very interested in military history and would like to study it in ...
  A: The two best are Norwich University and American Military University. Both also award a Masters in ...
Battle of the Bulge10/26/2006
  Q: I am doing a report on the battle of the bulge and I am hoping to find something more reliable than ...
  A: The best site on the Internet is the one kept up by the U.S. Center for Military History: ...
Circa 1960's Navy Rating10/20/2006
  Q: Would like to know what a "Business Machine Repair" enlisted code consisted of...types of equipment ...
  A: Please go to the following web site and it will give the information you are seeking: ...
Wars10/17/2006
  Q: hey i was wondering if you could help me, i would like to know what countries have been in a war and ...
  A: You can either purchase or see if your library has a copy of the following book: A Dictionary Of ...
Origin of Military Funerals (USMC specifically)10/9/2006
  Q: Sir, I currently active duty here in lubbock, TX and I am preparing a class about Marine Corps ...
  A: Olson, You can go to this web site and this will give you a history of the military ...
combat ratio10/5/2006
  Q: I would like to know how many infantry soldiers are assigned to an army infantry brigade? I know a ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but here is the answer to your*The strength of one ...
military draft when the draft was activated9/27/2006
  Q: Could ministers, priests and rabbis be drafted during WW II, Korean War and Vietnam War? Thank you
  A: Reed, They can't be drafted and are given the current classification within the ...
Saxon era warfare9/21/2006
  Q: I am a historical novelist specializing in Saxon England.. in particular 8th anbd 9th centuries. I ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I just got back from an overseas deployment. Here ...
Navy Dress Blues uniform9/20/2006
  Q: I am a Navy spouse and have always wondered why the uniform is called "dress blues" when it is ...
  A: The color of the uniform and term "dress blues" dates back to when some British naval officers met ...
mexican-american war9/9/2006
  Q: Greetings, Major Lynn, In the Mexican-American war, when General Stephen W. Kearny’s 1500 men ...
  A: President James K. Polk was eager to occupy New Mexico and California in the first months of the ...
WWII ship9/8/2006
  Q: I am trying to find out information about a ship that witnessed the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima. ...
  A: I looked up all the ships that the U.S. Navy had on active duty and there wasn't one christened the ...
discharge papers9/8/2006
  Q: we have a relative who was in the army in world war 1 and we have his dog tag number...i live in ...
  A: James, I attempted to try your cell phione number but was unble to contact you. Please ...
Military Uniform History9/8/2006
  Q: When and where did the military uniform start? Who came up with the idea to have a uniform and ...
  A: Among ancient warriors one of the most important considerations in warfare was already to maintain ...
Civil War9/1/2006
  Q: 1) Was it President Lincoln, US Congress or both who were determined to fight the South during the ...
  A: Instead of attempting to answer your quesions with long answers; I will just give you a web site and ...
German Army8/19/2006
  Q: During WWII the German Army had certain army units made up of medically disqualified soldiers. I ...
  A: The Germans had "stomach battalions" or men that had stomach ailments and "ear battalions" or men ...
The Battle of Long Tan8/16/2006
  Q: Why did Australia enter the battle of Long Tan and what happend all together?
  A: You can type the following information in your search engine and everything about the Battle of Long ...
Army uniform circa 18858/13/2006
  Q: I am writing a story for a class and I am hung up on a small detail that I hope you can help me ...
  A: , Please go to the following site: ...
WWII7/29/2006
  Q: So you are saying he ransacked a library to get a little blue book that would have no meaning what ...
  A: Miller, You would be surprised the items that a soldier will keep with him throughout ...
military7/12/2006
  Q: If a child is on a stimulant...(medicaation for ADHD or Hyper activity) will this affect him being ...
  A: The use of medicine under a doctor's supervision is usually grounds for not being able to enlist in ...
legal age to join the army7/11/2006
  Q: I need to know the legal age for a Canadian citizen to join the army during World War One. I don't ...
  A: While the age was 18 among all the countries involved; it wasn't unusual to see individuals less ...
military service7/10/2006
  Q: How long was the length of service for those enlisting in the military prior to 1942. Also, for ...
  A: Arredondo, The pre-war U.S. Army's voluntary enlisted strength was composed of ...
Mr.Rogers7/9/2006
  Q: wa mr.rogers a military sniper
  A: Fry, Mr. Fred Rogers was never in the military but was an ordained minister. This is an ...
Pfc Charies E. Peace KIA 06/22/19447/8/2006
  Q: I have tryed to find information about my Dads 1st cousin,without much luck, I hope you can help. ...
  A: You can contact the following for your dad's first cousin's record: National Personnel Records ...
Reserve History7/5/2006
  Q: Good afternoon sir and happy 4th. I think this is more of a statement than a question. I spent six ...
  A: J. Houston, You can type in the following in your search engine "U.S. Military's ...
WWII-units and MOS7/3/2006
  Q: and Thank You for your time. Please, I have three questions. My grandfather was in WWII. My ...
  A: Here is the information you requested: A Casual Company is a unit of soldiers grouped together for ...
German policy in Poland7/3/2006
  Q: After Germany defeated and occupied Poland in 1941, was (railroad) travel permitted for ...
  A: Poles weren't allowed to have radios or automobiles. Those Poles that still lived in the annexed ...
MILITARY FUNERALS7/3/2006
  Q: First, thank you for your service to our Country. I would like to know more about Military Funerals. ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions: 1. This is done to honor the service to this country of the ...
Post WWII Military Casualties7/2/2006
  Q: Do you know how many WWII casualties the American military suffered (WIA, KIA) after the surrender ...
  A: You can go to your search engine and place the following address in it: ...
robert e lee6/30/2006
  Q: for years i have been unable to find the answer to this ?.i know lee was offered the command of ...
  A: Moore, Prior to resigning his commission in 1861, Robert E. Lee was a brevet colonel. ...
19th Century German Military Conscription6/27/2006
  Q: Did the German State of Hannover have military conscription from approximately 1863 - 1866? It was ...
  A: The army of Hanover was composed of two groups. The regular army was composed of volunteers on a ...
Gravestone writings6/21/2006
  Q: On my Father's gravestone it reads, "pfc 1957 ord dep co avn". I was trying to find out any info I ...
  A: Michael, You can contact the National Personal Records Center in Kansas City or you ...
Navy Dress Blue Piping/Stars6/20/2006
  Q: On the navy dress blue uniform, what does the 3 white pipings on the cuffs represent? Also, do the ...
  A: The officer's stars were firstapproved on January 28, 1864. All uniform regulations since 1873 have ...
WWII6/15/2006
  Q: I briefly heard a story about an event that took place during WWII. I didn't get all the details so ...
  A: Sorry to disappoint you but there never was a mission like this as related to you. Just another ...
World War 1 rank6/4/2006
  Q: My father was in the 10th and 20th Engineers in WW1 in the AEF, with service in France. His pay ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been moving into my new house and thus have ...
WWII - German6/4/2006
  Q: My science teacher told us to try to find out what the Germans used during WWII to drop fragile ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back toy ou sooner but I've been in the process of moving into my new ...
Bagpipes5/30/2006
  Q: When and why does the U.S. military use bagpipes at formal cermonies? Thanks.
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been in the process of moving into my new ...
Japan5/30/2006
  Q: When the USS Midway reported to it's new homport of Yokosuka Japan in 1973.What was the reception ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I just moved into a new house and I had to put my ...
causes of WWII5/26/2006
  Q: What were the causes of World War Two? I know that possibly the main cause of conflict was the Nazis ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I'm in the process of moving. I'm settled in now ...
Marine Corps History5/24/2006
  Q: When were the dress blues introduced in to the Marine Corps and who introduced them, and who was the ...
  A: The individual who is credited with introducing the dress blue uniform was Secretary of War James ...
Civil War tactics vs. modern day tactics5/18/2006
  Q: I was wondering if you could, in a nut shell, explain the differences between battlefield tactics ...
  A: For the War Between The States: www.civilwarhome.com/strategyandtactics.htm ...
World War I Army Dog Tags5/14/2006
  Q: Can you tell me what information would be included on a WW1 dog tag. Around the top outside rim is ...
  A: You can go to the following web sites for the information you need: ...
missile strikes4/26/2006
  Q: USMCR I am very concerned about the unrest taking place in the middle east. In particular, Iran ...
  A: It would be foolish of me to speculate on the subject you are requesting. But I will send you a web ...
second world war4/22/2006
  Q: how was the german tank ace michael wittman killed
  A: By the time of his passing to France in the late spring of 1944 following the Allied D-Day invasion, ...
WW1 dog tags4/17/2006
  Q: We found in either fathers or grand fathers personal effects a set of what appears to be WW1 dog ...
  A: Please go to the following web site and request a copy of his service record: ...
George S. Patton4/11/2006
  Q: What were George S. Patton's leadership qualities? would his style of leadership be appropriate for ...
  A: Happy Easter and here are the answers to your questions: 1. Inspiration, Knowledge, and Utilization ...
Father was with USMCR in late 1940's3/29/2006
  Q: My Father Reginald Hervieux was with the USMCR for two years ( 1948-49- which was when he was 17 ...
  A: Hervieux, The U.S. Marine Reserves wore the same uniforms and did the same training ...
U.S. Army Warrant Officers3/24/2006
  Q: Warrant officer ranks: Who ranks over who between warrant officers, non-coms, and commissioned ...
  A: Meyer, Commissioned officers always rank over warrant officers and NCOs. NCOs salute ...
vietnam3/24/2006
  Q: my name is natalie and i'm 15 years old. i'm conducting some research on the vietnam war for my ...
  A: Australian assistance to South Vietnam began in 1962, when a team of jungle warfare specialists was ...
A medal i found3/18/2006
  Q: I found a medal and i was wondering what it is for or any information you can tell me about it would ...
  A: Many medals were manufactured from bronze and some of them have this engraved on the back. I don't ...
tombstone inscription3/13/2006
  Q: My uncle passed away recently. He served in the U.S. Navy in WWII. On his tombstone is - U.S. Navy ...
  A: MOMMI actually reads MoMM1 for Motor Machinist Mate's 1. This is broken down into specific ...
USMCR Dog Tag2/28/2006
  Q: Found dog tag in outback Australia with the following insignia LIGHTNER, Roy E. Jnr. 370572 Tet ...
  A: Please go to the following web sites and they will give you the information on this U.S. Marine: ...
signing peace treaty, deck of missouri2/24/2006
  Q: Sir, My grandfarther Cpl. John Horsley USMC passed away a few years ago, and while digging through ...
  A: Horsley, Emperor Hirohito wasn't at the signing of the surrender documents on the ...
tactics2/21/2006
  Q: Let me start by saying I know my question is a little (translate to "completely") unrealistic. ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I'm on active duty. I would use only U.S. Army ...
WW1 dog tag/ Authenticity2/18/2006
  Q: My question is about WW1 'dog tag', I was asked to check out an oval metal disk about 1.5 inches ...
  A: Galyean, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. While what you have ...
postwarJapan2/16/2006
  Q: Is it possible that soldiers just beginning to serve time for serious offenses such as robbery or ...
  A: Svoboda, No. From August, 1945 to April, 1952, Japan was under U.S. occupation ...
The Battle of Trafalgar2/13/2006
  Q: Do you believe that the Battle of Trafalgar was a true British Victory or a Franco-Spanish strategic ...
  A: On October 21, 1805, off Cape Trafalgar on the Spanish coats, Admiral Lord Nelson won the greatest ...
send a substitute2/10/2006
  Q: i have a question about the practice of sending a substitute into a war. is this legal, and when did ...
  A: The idea of substitution has no known exact date but in U.S. history it can be traced to the period ...
WWI snipers2/4/2006
  Q: i was wondering if you could tell me all you know about WWI snipers. I have found only one site on ...
  A: I found one on the Internet in regard to the World War One snipers: ...
Website2/2/2006
  Q: My father served with the 26th (now the 25th) div in the Army stationed in Hawai'i. He's dying and ...
  A: The U.S. Army had both a 25th and 26th Infantry Divisions. The U.S. Army has announced the ...
1974 weapons question.1/16/2006
  Q: For a book (fiction) I am writing about a joint CIA/U.S. secret military operation in 1974, I would ...
  A: In response to your first question, the type of low yield nuclear weapon (suitcase or backpack) ...
Re: Gas device called "porcupine."1/12/2006
  Q: I do not want to bother you with a difficult question, but I have no choice because I have failed ...
  A: The 'device' you mention is in the inventory of the U.S. Army and used by the PsyOps units. I ran ...
I need an expert1/11/2006
  Q: Lynn, I am James Cong, a student in the talented and gifted program. I have recently been given an ...
  A: Cong, Here are some web sites that will answer your questions: ...
army uniform1/8/2006
  Q: Do you possibly know how to place Captain bars on an M-65 field jacket?
  A: If you are using the old silver bars, then they would be placed at the end of the button epaulet ...
world war 21/7/2006
  Q: was the decision to use the atomic bomb on Japan during World war 2 justified? Thanks
  A: Here are some web sites that will give you both sides of this continuing argument: ...
colours12/31/2005
  Q: Could you please help clarify the importance of the colours in the military today and throughout ...
  A: The following colors and their meaning are used in the U.S. military today: Yellow or Gold: Honor ...
origins of the Great Highland Bagpipes in the British Military11/14/2005
  Q: Sir, I am currently working on a reasearch paper at the University of Rochester which looks at the ...
  A: Try and get the DVDs entitled Instrument Of War Parts 1 and 2 because it will answer all your ...
Roman army11/3/2005
  Q: I also need help on military tactics and training and stuff on the Roman army. Anything that deals ...
  A: Here is the following information you requested: www.roman-empire.net/army/army.html The Roman ...
Ancient Japan military11/1/2005
  Q: Can you help direct me to sites and give me info on samurai's fighting tactics? And if you can info ...
  A: Here is the information you requested on the Samuari: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/samurai ...
logistics10/9/2005
  Q: l need as many documentation as possible about the German Militay Logistics in the WW2, do you have ...
  A: The two (2) best books I can give you are the following: 1. The German Army, 1933-1945 by Matthew ...
fantasy question10/8/2005
  Q: Mr Lynn, This is a silly question and perhaps you will indulge me in this. I recently caught an ...
  A: I've seen The Final Countdown with Kirk Douglas and in your fantasy scenario, having those ...
chain of commant+political stance10/3/2005
  Q: As senior military officers take their stances,orders,etc from their commander in chief, is what ...
  A: Senior officers answer all questions honestly based upon the intelligence and their personal ...
navy stripes down9/30/2005
  Q: why the stripes from the navy are different from the rest of the service
  A: Ponce, The U.S. Army has both Overseas Stripes and Service Stripes (also called ...
Creating Structure9/20/2005
  Q: Maj. Lynn, I'm sure you're aware of the many military themed games available for play over the ...
  A: The following information is provided for your decision: 1. The JCS or Joint Chiefs of Staff are ...
EXPLANATION OF WORDS AND PHRASES TAKEN FROM THE BOOK "BORN TO FLY",by Michael French9/1/2005
  Q: Can you please explain the following words and phrases, taken from the book "BORN TO FLY,by Michael ...
  A: The word "PODs" has no special meaning and it is an aerodynamic container mounted under an aircraft. ...
dictatorship8/26/2005
  Q: sup i know this might be out of your expertise but i hope u can answer this: 1. how was the ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions: 1. Dictators can become leaders through a number of ways: ...
First Army Division in Vietnam8/16/2005
  Q: Can you tell me the first Army Division to go to Vietnam as a "complete" division as opposed to ...
  A: That unit was the 1st Air Cavalry Division (Airmobile) or The First Team which arrived in South ...
Military rank during Revolution8/1/2005
  Q: I am a dance historian researching social dance and drill during the American Revolution. Because ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions: http://www2.powercom.net/~rokats/contarmy.html The ...
Combatants in Revolutionary War7/21/2005
  Q: Is there any documentation that shows that any survivors of the Battle of Culloden 1745 (last battle ...
  A: Yes, besides books on the Battle of Culloden (which touch on what happened to the survivors); one of ...
Question6/27/2005
  Q: I heard that the US and some other nations occupied certain areas of Russia at the time the Red Army ...
  A: The intervention had a variety of motives. Especially in the first months of 1918, some Allied ...
Shuckra: an exotic stabbing weapon6/13/2005
  Q: I'm interested in finding out all I can about an obscure stabbing weapon called a shuckra. It is ...
  A: By what I have been able to gather, the shuckra is a metal tube containing a wire that, when locked ...
military orders6/12/2005
  Q: I am attempting to write a screenplay set in the Napoleonic wars, and I have several battle scenes. ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions: 1. To locate the exact British commands, you can obtain the ...
Medival tactics in general5/27/2005
  Q: 1. Where were the best locations for castles to be built? 2. How long did it take to build a ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions: 1. It was on the top of a hill with a surrounding moat and ...
Military System5/7/2005
  Q: Am sorry for not being very clear. I meant to say organizational military systems you see, certain ...
  A: The military system you refer to refers to the make-up and composition of each country's armed ...
Moveing an Army5/6/2005
  Q: I'm designing a strategic simulation for a game. I am hopeing you can help me find, or provide ...
  A: Here are the following web sites that should answer your questions: ...
German Unit5/6/2005
  Q: Can you tell me what German unit this was in 1937: Das Uffz Korps1./N.25? I think it is either the ...
  A: My German isn't that good but I will highly recommend a site that will help you: Feldgrau.com ...
Air and Space power in the Air Force4/14/2005
  Q: Good day to you Maj Lynn, I am doing research on Air and Space power and wanted to find out how ...
  A: The best answer I can give you is to go to the following web site and it will answer all your ...
Cold war4/8/2005
  Q: This question is about the cold war. Before inter-continental missiles, US bombers with nuclear ...
  A: No, the former Soviet Union didn't have a similiar system to us in regard to manned bombers with ...
Marine Corps history4/5/2005
  Q: I am doing a research project for my 8th grade American Studies class. I am required to interview ...
  A: First, I would like to apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been undergoing some ...
Czech Republic military history4/5/2005
  Q: Sir, We were wondering if you could tell what the purpose of the lanyard worn over the left ...
  A: The lanyard could represent anything because its meaning varies from country to country. Also, you ...
Wagoner Supply Company 118th Infantry3/13/2005
  Q: Major Lynn, My great uncle was in the Wagoner Supply Company 118th Infantry in World War I. ...
  A: The 118th Infantry Regiment of the 59th Infantry Brigade was assigned to the 30th Division of the ...
das boot3/13/2005
  Q: I am watching the German movie Das Boot, a highly regarded realistic, supposedly, depiction of life ...
  A: You are right. This is just a "movie" scene put in there by the director, Peterson for dramatic ...
study of military history3/12/2005
  Q: My son is a junior in high school. He has an avid interest in military history. He had hoped to go ...
  A: The following colleges/universities offer a four year degree in Military Studies: Duke University ...
Amtracs3/1/2005
  Q: Why were Amtracs not used at Normandy? They were used later in the European campaign for river ...
  A: A surprising fact about Operation OVERLORD was the factor limiting the number of men that could be ...
Military Chiefs of Staff2/26/2005
  Q: I know there is a Chief of Staff for the Army, Navy and Air Force, but is there also one for the ...
  A: There is a one for the U.S. Marine Corps and he is the current Commandant. The Chairman of the Joint ...
Manual hand salute question.2/21/2005
  Q: When in formation, the order "Hand salute" is given and then followed by "2" to lower the right hand ...
  A: This came from Ermine's Street Guard Drill, which evolved from The Strategikon of Maurice of the 6th ...
military statues2/14/2005
  Q: Sir, I have a question regarding militar leaders (civil war).If they were killed in battle,are ...
  A: Zucker, I have seen numerous Union and Confederate military personalities either on a ...
Chain of Command2/10/2005
  Q: Is there any specific information about the history of "chain of command"?
  A: Noel, The current chain of command used by the U.S. Armed Forces dates back to the one ...
Nazi beliefs2/3/2005
  Q: (1) What were the Nazi's reasons for believing that they were the superior race? (2) What were ...
  A: Hunt, The questions you are asking aren't in the realm of Military History but one of ...
Wars between Democracies2/1/2005
  Q: I thank you for allowing me to ask you a question. It is often said that two democracies have never ...
  A: You can go to the following web site and it will have the information you are looking for. The ...
WWII "Battleship Discharge"1/31/2005
  Q: We had a member in our American Legion, that was a WWII navy veteran, he received a "Battleship ...
  A: Baker, The "Battleship Discharge" like the earler "Battleship Masthead Discharge" were ...
Revolutionary War1/18/2005
  Q: I was wondering if you could answer a couple questions for me. First, do you how many people died in ...
  A: Peterson, You can go to the following site and it will give you the information you ...
military question1/12/2005
  Q: This may be a silly question, but I came upon your site trying to find information. My boyfriend is ...
  A: It's not a blackout but rather an UNABLE TO ACCESS due to our military personnel sending E-Mail ...
Weapons1/9/2005
  Q: In your opinion, what weapon or weapon system had the most profound impact on the conduct of war ...
  A: It would have to be the machinegun because prior to its widespread use in combat, military tactics ...
2nd marine,1st bn, co"c"1/8/2005
  Q: I'M TRYING TO COMPLETE FAMILY HISTORY ABOUT MY 2ND COUSIN.DONALD BEALE. HE WAS KIA 3 NOV.42 ON ...
  A: Benton, Your unit designation should read Company C, 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine ...
I am a moron1/2/2005
  Q: Sir, I am an idiot. You just answered my question with an excellent link to global military ...
  A: Go to globalsecurity.org, then click on military, then click on countries, and go to Japan. The ...
Hello sir, I am looking...1/2/2005
  Q: I am looking for (using Google no avail) a site that has current numbers and/or summaries of the ...
  A: Happy New Year and here is the answer to your question complete with two links: Approximate ...
Origins of WWI12/15/2004
  Q: Can you elaborate on the developments of two armed camps and their plans for war, eg the schliffen ...
  A: Your question requires a very long and detailed response and so what I have done is give the ...
Weaponry Advancements12/15/2004
  Q: Im writing a term paper on how the advancements of weaponry changed military strategy and tactics. ...
  A: You have requested information on a subject that is general in nature. I have sent you the following ...
WW112/7/2004
  Q: either the troops of the people? Thanks
  A: The values of Western culture changed between World War I and World War II. For instances, before ...
waterloo11/29/2004
  Q: Q: If Wellington did not make the decisive moves he made during the battle would he have lost? Q: ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions: 1. Yes but one must remember that it was Napoleon who made ...
Marine POW CMH11/28/2004
  Q: ------------------------- Dear Major Lynn: Thanks you for your prompt response. Did Major Boyington ...
  A: Price, No, it was for his actions while stationed in the Central Solomons from ...
proofreading11/26/2004
  Q: I wrote an essay on Napoleon, and I was wondering if you could read through it, checking for grammar ...
  A: First, let me apologize for not getting back to you sooner but due to being deployed overseas; it ...
Late Medieval Ship Types11/26/2004
  Q: I know you're a marine, but you seem the most likely candidate for naval questions... ;) I'm ...
  A: Here are the following web sites that will be able to assist you in regard to your questions: ...
P.U.C.11/17/2004
  Q: Sir, I just received my entitlement to Military Awards Supplement (NP1650/66). It states that I rate ...
  A: The bronze star is a 3/16-inch device that denotes subsequent awards of a decoration. In your case, ...
American War History11/3/2004
  Q: Major Lynn, Which is considered to be the most gruesome war in American history? Thank you for your ...
  A: It has to be The War Between The States not only because of its casualties but also because of the ...
Distinguished Flying Cross/Air Medals for AIR FORCE11/2/2004
  Q: Sir, I have several questions and hopefully you have a far reaching database than the ones I have ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions: 1. The DFC is awarded to any person who, while serving in ...
Nuclear Weapon10/24/2004
  Q: Heloo Please tell me what parallels are there between the introduction of the gun and introduction ...
  A: There are not so much parallels as both types of weapons ushered news eras in warfare. The gun ...
Dployment10/20/2004
  Q: I have just enlisted in the USMCR and am part of the DEP. I have also signed up for the split entry ...
  A: I don't know the particulars of your enlistment but my initial enlistment into the Marine Corps was ...
Revolutionary War10/14/2004
  Q: Who do you think should have won the Revolutionary War?
  A: When all is said and done, it should have been the British. Prior to the start of the American ...
Korean War10/14/2004
  Q: Was there a CHINESE intervention in the Korean War?
  A: On October 4, 1950, Chairman Mao Tse-tung of the People's Republic of China or PRC ordered elements ...
military history10/12/2004
  Q: was there really a military revolution in europe in the 17th century?substantiate
  A: The 17th Century witnessed the end of the transisiton from medieval to modern warfare in all ...
military & culinary10/10/2004
  Q: a good man transformed something military into something culinary. who was this good man and what is ...
  A: I got it from some cooks in the U.S. Marine Corps. It was Dr. James Henry Salisbury during the War ...
European occupation in Africa/ "Scramble for Africa"10/3/2004
  Q: I would like to find out why did West Africa fail to prevent the European Occupation of Africa/ ...
  A: The Berlin Conference of 1884-1885 was convened to divide Africa among the European powers of which ...
war10/1/2004
  Q: I would like to know haf u seen the documentary movie about war “13 days”. If u haf can u tell me ...
  A: I have seen the film 13 Days and it is an excellant documentary drama with an oustanding cast that ...
Catupults9/28/2004
  Q: Lynn, I am Kyung-Tae Hong from Japan.(but i'm in an international school) In our Social Studies ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I'm currently on active duty with the U.S. Marine ...
usmcr dog tag9/18/2004
  Q: Mr. Lynn, Hello.... My uncle was killed a couple days before the flag was raised on Iwo ...
  A: The letters on his dog tag, USMCR denotes that he was a member of the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve. ...
Operation Cobra Strike8/13/2004
  Q: Is this the name of an actual operation? If so, was it in Viet Nam in 1969, more or less? Thank ...
  A: Stone, There was NO ground operation by that name conducted in the Southeast Asia AO ...
Trojan Horse8/13/2004
  Q: I am wondering if the story of the Trojan Horse is a fact of history or was it a work of fiction in ...
  A: Brown, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but due to Hurricane Charley ...
NATO forces given A-4 Status8/12/2004
  Q: Major Lynn, I need to read and prepare a summary of the Executive Order signed by Eisenhower that ...
  A: There is no Executive Order to that effect that I can locate. Executive Orders apply only to U.S. ...
My father's military history8/1/2004
  Q: My father was a WWII veteran. I am interested in finding out more about his service. All I know is ...
  A: Goldberg, Fairmont AAF was where mechanics were trained for B-17s, B-24s, and ...
a science exemption from service7/26/2004
  Q: I heard of a friend's grandfather who is over 70, he's a gifted scientist, has a law of physics ...
  A: There is no specific name for this exemption. It also is given to anyone that farms their own land ...
RELITIVE IN WWII USMC7/26/2004
  Q: SIR: I AM TRYING TO FIND INFO ABOUT MY 2ND COUSIN , IN ORDER TO FILL IN A GAP IN FAMILY HISTORY. HIS ...
  A: Benton, According to Our Kind Of War: Illustrated Saga Of The U.S. Marine Raiders Of ...
Gulf 19917/22/2004
  Q: Do you have any information on The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards leading the assault on defended ...
  A: Skene, The 1st(UK) Armored Division entered Iraq through the breach created by the ...
Beirut7/12/2004
  Q: What was the real reason the Marines suffered that day? Did any in our Gov't assume responsibility ...
  A: An unstable mix of Christians, Moslems, and Druze made Lebanon vulnerable to internal violence and ...
British hostages - Iraq/Kuwait 19616/30/2004
  Q: In 1961 the British handed control of Kuwait (which had until then been a British Protectorate) back ...
  A: Here are the following web sites: *http://www.cia.gov/csi/studies/fall_winter_2001/article ...
country of origin uniform circa 18666/29/2004
  Q: I am trying to identify the uniforms in a painting dated around 1866. I can send a picture via ...
  A: Please send a picture via E-Mail. My E-Mail is militaryhistorywriter@yahoo.com. Sincerely-Major ...
my question is about the presidential...6/8/2004
  Q: my question is about the presidential unit citation award.lets say if you served with a unit,and ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions: 1. The PUC can only be worn by the individuals who were ...
"D " DAY6/6/2004
  Q: I was wondering if you knew what the "D" in Day stood for.Thanks so much for serving our country ...
  A: I will direct you to the following web site that will give you the answer complete with a detailed ...
military weapons history6/5/2004
  Q: i am a former marine, i am taking a summer class on the history of science. i am looking for web ...
  A: Turic, The first thing you should do is to use your search engine and type in the ...
WWI6/3/2004
  Q: what were the 2 sides of WWI and 3 allies of each? my teacher expects us to know this,but doesnt ...
  A: The answer is listed below: The Central Powers: Germany, Austria-Hungary, Bulgaria, ...
ww1 mutiny & ww1 cap badges & shot at dawn6/2/2004
  Q: not sure if my questions fall into your field of expertise. I have recently begun to take a great ...
  A: Here are the answers to your questions: 1. You can go to any reputable military antiques business ...
Iraqi prison guards5/16/2004
  Q: Major, First off let me thank you for your service for my freedom of this country. I would like to ...
  A: First, I'm not a legal officer and second, my personal opinion of these "recycled hillbillies" is ...
German American service during WWII5/14/2004
  Q: 5/14/04 Thank you very for answering my last question; your reply was most helpful. After the ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I just got back from an overseas deployment and ...
Far East Military History5/12/2004
  Q: I was wondering if you could tell me about Japanese and Chinese military ihstories, particularly ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I'm currently getting ready to ship out to Iraq ...
German American espionage?5/10/2004
  Q: 5/10/04 Dear Mr. Lynn: As an expert on history, you probably are aware that in 1942 the ...
  A: Hereare the answers to your questions: 1. German 10,905 Italian 3,278 Japanese 11,229 ...
Medieval Artillery5/7/2004
  Q: How did artillery in the medieval army change the medieval way of life?
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I'm leaving for Iraq and Afghanistan and I'm ...
Military Funeral Customs5/6/2004
  Q: My husband (retired USN) passed away last June. At his memorial service I was given the flag by the ...
  A: First, let me extend my heartfelt sympathy for your loss and here are the answers to your questions: ...
90mm mortar5/4/2004
  Q: i have just found something interesting in back of a gas station that i work at. it seem to be a ...
  A: First, I would have to physically look at the mortar to see and evaluate the nomenclature. Second, ...
the evolution of the hand cannoneer5/3/2004
  Q: I was wondering if you could tell me about the evolution of the hand cannoneer, or at least point me ...
  A: I would like to apologize for not answering your question sooner but I'm currently on active duty ...
Swedish Military Activity4/27/2004
  Q: Major Lynn, Thank you for pondering my question. I would appreciate any information or sources ...
  A: Sorry I haven't gotten back to you but I just got back from Iraq and I'm just now getting to all my ...
Military History Readers4/22/2004
  Q: I'm a literary agent helping a client, a British soldier who was in Iraq, prepare a book proposal to ...
  A: Bond, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I'm currently on active duty ...
Senior project4/19/2004
  Q: Sir. I am in dire need of concise military weapons and ammo history. I have a HUGE project on a ...
  A: Are you requesting one weapons system and its ammunition ( M-1911 .45 Caliber Pistol, AK-47 Rifle, ...
The Chinese and the Korean War4/8/2004
  Q: What part did the Chinese play in the Korean conflict?
  A: Whe the Korean War began, China at first wasn't involved, but on October 4, 1950, the Chinese ...
Vietnam4/7/2004
  Q: As a Vietnam vet I wonder how many Americans served in the armed forces in Vietnam during that war ...
  A: First, welcome home brother. Second, here is the answer to your1959-760 1960-900 1961-3,205 ...
Military/Training Obedience4/5/2004
  Q: Major Robert A. Lynn, USMCR, I am a freshman at Kent State University in Ohio and have been asked ...
  A: Your question on "violence" in regard to boot camp is misleading. If "violence" was ever used, the ...
u.s. military3/24/2004
  Q: how many countries does the united states have military bases in? and where?
  A: An interesting question and I have the article that will answer your questions and then some. Type ...
Naming of WWI and WWII3/23/2004
  Q: When was WWI officially named to be WWI? When was WWII officially recognized as WWII?
  A: World War I was commonly called The Great War or sometimes"the war to end all wars" until World War ...
athenian sea power3/22/2004
  Q: I am trying to account for the expenses of sea blockades in the 5th century b.c. and am finding ...
  A: The answer to your question of the cost of naval warfare in 5th Century B.C. Greece can be found at ...
BATTLE SHIPS3/21/2004
  Q: I WAS WONDERING ABOUT SOME OF THE MOST FAMOUS BATTLESHIPS OF ALL TIME AND WONDERING HOW THEY WOULD ...
  A: The Bismarck was designed as a long range unsinkable commerce raider based on the World War I Baden ...
Rankings3/20/2004
  Q: How does one gets to the next ranking ( e.g. captain to a major). What factors go into making the ...
  A: Promotions depend on your competency and proficiency within your MOS as well as leadership skills in ...
Infantry tactics. Past vs present3/15/2004
  Q: Major Lynn,USMCR I am an avid civil war buff. I also enjoy comparing past military accomplishments ...
  A: I would like to apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I'm currently on active duty with ...
Irish Military History3/14/2004
  Q: I've been researching and haven't been able to find information on the wars and invasions of ...
  A: Here are a list of wars in Irish history: Irish Raids In Britian, 395 AD-405 AD Viking Raids In ...
Naval History3/9/2004
  Q: I am led to believe that the term Brass Monkeys relates to triangular brass plates with indentations ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I'm currently on active duty in the U.S. Marine ...
Mongolian warfare3/7/2004
  Q: What affects did the Mongolian invasion have on military tactics of the Empires it conquered and how ...
  A: The Mongols were nomadic horse warriors from the Mongolian steppe. They lived and fought with ...
The Second World War (This is not a homework question)2/28/2004
  Q: Hi I would like to find out (1)How did the Second World War promote the cause of anti-colonialism? ...
  A: I will answer both questions together and I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I'm ...
history2/27/2004
  Q: How did the Nazies come to adopt the swastika as their symbol?
Equestrian Statues2/25/2004
  Q: I have been reading about horse sculptures, and how the position of the horse's legs is a hidden ...
American Civil War question2/22/2004
  Q: My name is Ben and in school, I am studying the American Civil War. All students are required to do ...
Battle of Gettysburg2/22/2004
  Q: My name is Benjamin and I am doing research on the Battle of Gettysburg in the American Civil War. I ...
  A: You have selected a battle of the War Between the States that lasted for three days. What type of ...
world war 12/21/2004
  Q: How did the development of military technology differ in pace with the development of military ...
  A: First, I would like to apologize for not getting back to you sooner with an answer to your question ...
Historical Federal Civil Defense Administration records2/20/2004
  Q: I have 25 33rpm/lp's about defense against biological warfare and marked Federal Civil Defense ...
  A: According to Executive Order No. 12148 dated July 20, 1979, the functions of the Civil Preparedness ...
Officer Characteristics2/18/2004
  Q: and now I've got another one for you. A German general once described officers as having one of ...
military draft exemptions in the 1950s2/18/2004
  Q: I'm writing a book and I need information about military policy. In 1950, what was the cut-off age ...
Civil War2/17/2004
  Q: Why was the United States determined to prevent foreign countries from giving the confederacy ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I'm currently on active duty and so my time is ...
THINGS THE MILITARY DOES TO HELP US OTHER THEN PROTECT US2/14/2004
  Q: THIS IS MY FIRST TIME TO DO SOMETHING ON LINE FOR A SCHOOL ESAY .I AM IN THE FOURTH GRADE. I HAVE TO ...
  A: Besides defending this nation against all enemies foreign and domestic (their primary mission), they ...
colors2/13/2004
  Q: I'm doing a research about the meaning of colors in the army. I hope you can tell me why are your ...
  A: Here is the information in regard to colors in the military: Yellow or Gold: Honor and Loyalty ...
Military Discipline - When was action taken against pillagers?2/11/2004
  Q: I was debating with a friend who suggested that Oliver Cromwell was the first officer who took ...
  A: The answer to your first question is the Convention of the Amelioration of the Condition of the ...
Japanese-Americans2/7/2004
  Q: do you know the name of the Japanese American unit that served in Italy during WWII? And Do you ...
  A: Ferguson, There were two (2) units: The 100th (Purple Heart)Infantry Battalion and ...
police history, early colonies1/31/2004
  Q: i saw a bit on a TV show (Third Watch) that described the history of the police uniform in ...
  A: Jacobs, The first law enforcement began to patrol the trails and paths of New York ...
Please could you supply authentic...1/29/2004
  Q: Please could you supply authentic figures of the number British casualties during the british ...
  A: Sharpe, British military casualties between the years 1945-1948 in Palestine are as ...
I have read about another...1/27/2004
  Q: I have read about another LOAC inquiry into allegations that military members have abused or used ...
  A: Broadly speaking, such incidents are decreasing. War crimes were so common in World War II that they ...

All Questions in This Category

Military History

LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard

Top Expert on this page