Military History/Questions Answered by Expert Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

SubjectDate Asked
German offensive in Caucasus 1942-19433/17/2017
  Q: During this offensive the German and Romanian armies appear to have spent a great deal of time and ...
  A: The probable reason was that the Germans had practically no naval resources in the Black Sea, the ...
Enquiry2/16/2017
  Q: I attach a picture of my great great grandfather I would like to know what you can tell me about his ...
  A: I used to help with these questions when I could rely on the help of my good friend lt. col. S. ...
Great Grandfather Russian Army1/9/2017
  Q: I see that you were able to assist someone in getting some insight in an old Russian army picture. ...
  A: I could answer that question with the help of my good friend lt.colonel S. Bojerud whose hobby was ...
Brother Arndt in Uniform, Prussia?10/27/2016
  Q: I have two old wallet sized photos, they are of a Great Uncle I do not know his first name but the ...
  A: I used to answer questions like this here with the help of my good friend lt.colonel S. Bojerud. A ...
WW24/29/2016
  Q: Mr.Nordquist, what is your favourite gun made in Sweden and why is it your favourite gun?
  A: Well, when I was the chef medical officer of the Royal Swedish Guards & Horse Guards - a joint ...
ww24/25/2016
  Q: what is your favorite battle of world war 2 and why?
  A: For more information please see my previous answer here to your fellow Canadian Nathan with regards ...
Wanting to know more about Scandinavia countries and their role in World War 2.4/24/2016
  Q: What countries make up the Scandinavian region? What was their role in during WW2? What side were ...
  A: Well, normally with the Scandinavian countries you mean the countries in or around the Scandinavian ...
capital city3/24/2016
  Q: Dr. Nordquist, I hope you can help me with this. Have you ever heard of a place called Hauptstadt? ...
  A: Haubtstadt in German literally means head city, so it means capital city. The capital city of ...
Arnhem 19443/22/2016
  Q: Perhaps as a Swede you can answer this question impartially! During Operation Market Garden the ...
  A: Well, I may not be quite as impartial as you serm to imagine since I am of the firm conviction that ...
Danish Military Medal3/17/2016
  Q: I'm not sure if this will be in your area of expertise but... I'm attaching a photo of one of my ...
  A: Unfortunately it is outside my area of expertise. So I can not tell you what it is. However I may be ...
Identification of Uniform1/22/2016
  Q: Would you be kind enough to help identify Army and rank of the individual in the photo I have ...
  A: This is really outside my field of expertise. I used to get help with these matters by a good ...
Prussian Soldiers1/8/2016
  Q: I can remember my grandmother, who came to this country from Germany telling me of Prussian soldiers ...
  A: Hos old are you? How old were you when she told you this? How old was she when she told you? From ...
I forgot to attach photos with ww1 uniform question12/17/2015
  Q: Good evening! I was recently given an old military uniform. From what little I was told its from ...
  A: Unfortunately it will not help! Without my late friend I am helpless! Though the helmet looks like ...
Trying to identify an OLD uniform!12/16/2015
  A: Unfortunately I am not able to help you wirh this kind of questions any more. A friend of mine who ...
military history9/26/2015
  Q: Did all inductees have their names changed at time of entering?
  A: I suppose you mean the conscript recruits of the Royal Swedish Army?! No only if you had several ...
Swedish soldier records post-19018/26/2015
  Q: Where may I find details of my grandfather's military service in the Swedish military? I have ...
  A: I will find out and come back to you. Unfortunately this type of questions are not my specialty. A ...
German uniform identification7/11/2015
  Q: My wife has just obtained a photo of her mother's brother that was taken in WW2. I am putting ...
  A: I have to ask the help of my good friend Lt, Colonel S. Bojerud who is an expert of uniforms. I will ...
Uniform Identification5/4/2015
  Q: Greetings! I am looking for help identifying this uniform. It is being worn by a naturalized Italian ...
  A: It definitely looks more Italian to me. However I will ask my good friend Lt. Colonel S. Bojerud ...
white casualties in WWII3/15/2015
  Q: Dr. Nordquist - I'm hoping you can define the meaning of white casualties, used by (at least) the US ...
  A: Sorry, I am a Swede living in Sweden and this category is completely new and unknown to me. But ...
german surgeon2/12/2015
  Q: Nordquist My Uncle John Phillips was operated on for gun shot wounds he received in a battle in ...
  A: I am a Swede, living, educated & trained in Sweden. I am sorry I can not help you with this. But the ...
99th battalion1/17/2015
  Q: Whose idea was it to form the 99th battalion? My dad was in it and tells some interesting stories
  A: I am a Swede living in Sweden. I have to confess that I do not have a detailed enough knowledge of ...
Medical supplies available to the Wehrmacht1/10/2015
  Q: I've got a question about battlefield medicine in the Second World War--specifically, the type of ...
  A: There was actually not a big difference there between WW1 and WW2! The only real differences were ...
WWI Big Bertha11/24/2014
  Q: I heave a piggy bank shaped like Big Betha shell. It has iron cross on it and several cities named ...
  A: The primary city of Romans would of course be Rome itself! But what that would have to do with Big ...
Identifying Russian Uniform10/9/2014
  Q: I'm trying to identify the uniform of my husband's grandfather,the gentleman on the left. I have ...
  A: I need help from a friend of mine with this Lt. Colonel S. Bojerud. I have sent him your question ...
Military Uniform - German or Prussian7/23/2014
  Q: I'm hoping you can help me identify the uniforms in the attached pictures. This are pictures of my ...
  A: To be able to better evaluate these uniforms I will contact my good friend Lt. Colonel S. Bojerud ...
follow up question re: Prussian artillery uniform?6/29/2014
  Q: Nordquist, sorry to bother you again but I found more info that I'd like your help with. Your last ...
  A: Yes they may be of help! Col. Bojerud told me that to be more precise he needed to see any signs and ...
Please help identifying uniform6/25/2014
  Q: Good morning, I am hoping that you can help me identify the uniform worn by my great-grandfather in ...
  A: Colonel S. Bojerud for help. He is an expert on old uniforms among other things. As soon as he has ...
Norwegian Uniform c18705/16/2014
  Q: sorry I forgot to attach the photo!
  A: Please see my previous reply! You can also reach me at: ...
Norway Military Uniform5/16/2014
  Q: I am hoping you can identify this uniform please. It is an ancestor Kristian Larsen, living in ...
  A: Akershus is an old castle or rather fortress. But I do not know if there was any military activity ...
Karl Oskar Wretfors5/15/2014
  Q: I am looking for my husbands family "Wretfors". I have been told that when Karl Oskar was in the ...
  A: This is a somewhat complicated question. You are not sure of the original last name (actually at ...
Svea Lifgarde3/16/2014
  Q: I have been able to locate both my guy (Lars Bredberg) & Jacob Johan Ankarstrom in the 1780 & 1782 ...
  A: The Life Company (the First Company) has a special position in the regiment. The king is ALWAYS ...
Birth record for Lars Bredberg?3/13/2014
  Q: I have tried unsuccessfully to locate a birth record for this Lars (Bredberg). I presume he chose ...
  A: Mariestad is probably correct. It is possible to find it out but it is a BIG job which I can not ...
Swedish soldier's regiment?3/10/2014
  Q: I have a Swedish soldier in my ancestry. He was in the Svea Lifgardes Livbataljon between 1770-1792. ...
  A: Nice to see that he was in my regiment where I have been chief medical officer for 15 years. The ...
World War 1 German shell casing3/10/2014
  Q: My name is Keith Langdon, Australian and lived in France for a number of years. My father-in-law ...
  A: I will check this out together with my friend Lt. Col. S. Bojerud. After that I will come back to ...
Russian Front1/27/2014
  Q: Doctor, Do you know of any books available on line such as Amazon.com that deal with a first person ...
  A: I am sorry but the only book(s) from the German side on the Eastern Front of WW2 that I am aware of ...
staged picture1/15/2014
  Q: This is a follow-up of the picture of the corporal as we now know. Do you think soldier number 4 is ...
  A: I honestly do not know. I will discuss this with Colonel Bojerud. I will come back to you. You ...
Rank of this WW 2 German1/3/2014
  Q: what is his rank please?
  A: I will try to find out and then come back to you. But unfortunately the enlarged picture is VERY ...
surgical mask, world war one12/4/2013
  Q: On Ebay, I purchased what is supposed to be a surgical mask from World War One. It covers the face, ...
  A: Honestly, this is the first time I hear about these things and see them. Before you asked I was not ...
Swedish Military Aid to Egypt10/17/2013
  Q: Greetings, I am an American who collects old military bayonets. I am a veteran myself, and ...
  A: You are quite right about AG-42 (a semiautomatic rifle presented in 1942 and in many ways similar to ...
medal translation9/4/2013
  Q: This is a follow-up to the questions I submitted regarding a Swedish medal from 1869. I read the ...
  A: I interpret it (as I wrote on my other site) as Kungl. Patriotiska Sällskapet = Kungliga Patriotiska ...
medicine9/2/2013
  Q: How is military medicine.different than regular medicine or is it not? Also any good tips on ...
  A: No basically it is not but it concentrates on injuries, diseases & conditions that are common in ...
Swedish military medals8/28/2013
  Q: My great-great-grandfather was given a medal for Swedish military service that literally translates ...
  A: He most probably belonged to the semiprofessional military organization called "indelningsverket" in ...
war and peace7/20/2013
  Q: I have read the stat that there have been 26 days of peace without armed conflict since ww2 on a ...
  A: I answered this question yesterday. Please read my previous answer. You can also reach me at: ...
war and peace7/18/2013
  A: Sorry I do not have that date either. However what is clear and evident is that days of peace with ...
Uniform Identification6/22/2013
  Q: I am looking to identify the uniform in the attached picture. The photo description has "red army" ...
  A: I does look like a Soviet uniform of some kind. I'm sending the picture on to my friend Lt. Col. S. ...
Roosevelt asking the British to dismantle their empire5/20/2013
  Q: In the documentary TV series "Oliver Stone's Secret History of the United States", he claims that ...
  A: Du kan godt skriva på dansk! Jag förstår mycket väl! Jag är svensk. I have heard this too many ...
Russian military uniform c. WWI4/26/2013
  Q: I am researching my husband's family history. The attached photo we think is of his Uncle Josef ...
  A: I have to ask for help from my good friend Lt. Colonel S. Bojerud about this. He is very good at ...
uniform4/13/2013
  Q: My GGGF is #2 in picture - he was born in Zeitz, Germany 1856 (just south of Leipzig)and migrated to ...
  A: I will ask my good friend Lt. Colonel S. Bojerud who knows a lot about old uniforms. If and when I ...
Identify a Military Uniform2/9/2013
  Q: I want to identify the person in the photo and need to know what military uniform he has on. Also ...
  A: I will investigate and come back to you with any results. An educated guess is that he is in his ...
Identify French Military Uniform1/26/2013
  Q: Can you please help identify the uniform in this hand-colored portrait of my 3x great grandfather, ...
  A: Sorry, I do not know it. But I will ask my friend Lt. Col. S. Bojerud. He has a wide knowledge of ...
Uniform Identification12/28/2012
  Q: Sir: Another relative for uniform identification: Rank, outfit, etc. Thanks, Ulrich Steinberg
  A: Please see my previous answer! I have to go to bed now! It is between 3 & 4 AM here, 3. 37 AM to be ...
Uniform identification12/28/2012
  Q: Once again-what can you tell me about this relative of mine? Outfit, rank, etc.
  A: See my previous replies. You do not want to contact the Embassy? You can also reach me at: ...
Uniform identification12/28/2012
  Q: Its me again with another uncle, in the German armed forces. Can you tell me about him? Thanks, U ...
  A: I give you the same advice as in your previous question. But if that does not work I will be glad to ...
Military uniform12/28/2012
  Q: Sir: Can you tell me anything about this relative of mine- rank, outfit, etc? I know it's german ...
  A: Yes I can answer your question by asking col. Bojerud again. But, since this seems to be a relative ...
Identification12/24/2012
  Q: Sir: can you tell me anything about a relative of mine in his German uniform? Rank? Outfit? where ...
  A: Merry X-mas & a happy new year! I can not myself - except that they are German military uniforms ...
West Prussian Soldier Enlistment11/20/2012
  Q: My greatgrandfather's brother died while walking down the street returning home from war after the ...
  A: This was a HARD one! I do need help with it. I'm asking my old friend lt. col. S. Bojerud who has a ...
identify and date photo--German soldier9/12/2012
  Q: I have a photo from my Great great grandmother's album, she came to the US in 1878 from Germany as a ...
  A: Like the others (4 in total) your picture has arrived OK. Please see my previous answers of tonight. ...
  Q: I am hoping you can help me date and identify the branch of service, rank, etc. of these photos They ...
  A: Your pictures have arrived OK. Please see my previous reply tonight. You can also reach me at: ...
  Q: I am having trouble sending images, I hope this one is correct! This photo came from my great great ...
  A: The picture arrived OK this time. I'll ask col. Bojerud his opinion and come back to you when he has ...
Civil War to modern day military medicine9/7/2012
  Q: I am doing a research paper and the subject that I have chosen is: How did the Civil War effect ...
  A: I'm not an expert of military medicine of the American Civil War (War between the States) - I'm a ...
indentify/date German uniform9/7/2012
  Q: I tried to send this last night, but I have a slow dial up connection. The question you received ...
  A: You probably have to start from the beginning again and send it as a NEW question. Do not forget to ...
identify/date German uniform9/6/2012
  Q: This photo was in my Gr Gr Gandmother's album. Her husband died in Germany before she came to ...
  A: Sorry Jane, your photo did not arrive. Please do send it again and I'll discuss it with my friend ...
American Revolution War ancestor killed8/27/2012
  Q: My third great-grandfather was killed in 1778 by a gun shot wound to his "belly".He was shot at ...
  A: From your description it seems he was shot in his abdomen. At that time such gun shot wounds were ...
Army Uniform8/9/2012
  Q: Please can you help by identifying the uniform in the attached photo. To me, it looks like an ...
  A: I would like to help you - probably with the help of my friend Lt. Col. S. Bojerud who is very good ...
European (?) wool coat7/14/2012
  Q: What country/era is this wool coat from? What would be a fair price to ask for it?
  A: This is quite outside my area of expertise. I will however ask my good friend Lt. Colonel S. Bojerud ...
Identify Military Uniform7/7/2012
  Q: Dr, My family was originally from Bruebach, France and came to the United Sates in 1889. We have ...
  A: This is somewhat outside my area of expertise really but I'll ask my friend Lt. Colonel S. Bojerud ...
Metal scale epaulettes with monogramm6/25/2012
  Q: I am looking for age/country information on this item. Ideally I'd like to know whose monogramm is ...
  A: This is actually outside my area of expertise. But I'll try to ask my friend Lt. Colonel S. Bojerud ...
WW II German Medical Chest5/29/2012
  Q: We were recently given a WW II German Medical Chest for our CCC/POW Recreational Hall Museum ...
  A: No, I can not. But if you contact the military attaché of the German Embassy in Washington DC I do ...
kids, war heros5/17/2012
  Q: For my class of 5-13yrs old, could you share with me any stories of children that served in any army ...
  A: Sorry Elijah I know of no such stories, maybe because I have always tried to avoid to think of ...
holocaust5/11/2012
  Q: I'm younger and have been reading about 6 million Jews killed. They were tattooed with numbers. I ...
  A: First of all these tattoos were made by many people. Second they were NOT done by experts. Third ...
Swedish Uniform4/13/2012
  Q: What can you tell me about this uniform? It is a photograph mixed in with old photos from Sweden. ...
  A: Vielen Dank/many thanks! Jetzt weiss ich nicht/right now I do not know. Aber ich werde versuchen es ...
question3/25/2012
  Q: If China declared war on Kyrgyzstan, what would most probably follow?
  A: This is not history! It is contemporary politics and even political speculation! So it is quite ...
german ww1 sword3/23/2012
  Q: i would like to know what era its from and is it a rare sword i do know WKC made it. i inherited it ...
  A: I'm not an expert of German swords - samurai swords are more to my liking - so I'll ask my friend ...
Looking for a regimental name3/18/2012
  Q: I am interested in finding which cavalry regiment, during 1700 - 1750, was drawn from the parishes: ...
  A: I'll find out: I'll ask my friend col. Bojerud who usually knows all these things. You can also ...
Military uniform identification3/16/2012
  Q: Can you help identify this uniform? and his rank? It is worn by Vincent Cluge FRENCH 1864-1956. Born ...
  A: This is not within my area of expertise but I'll ask my friend Lt. Colonel S. Bojerud who usually ...
Military Uniform I.D.3/16/2012
  Q: Attached is a picture of my Great-Great Grandfather, born about 1817. All Census information from ...
  A: If I remember correctly - but I'm not sure - Mecklenburg(-Schwerin) was a part of Prussia - at least ...
name change in Swedish army3/10/2012
  Q: Our family history states that when my great grandfather immigrated to the US from Sweden he kept ...
  A: Yes it was! And the reason you mention is the correct one. His name Quick (less fancy spelling: ...
Total war3/3/2012
  Q: but all I could find was the answer of WW1 etc. thanks very much
  A: Yes WW1 fits it very well. But in some respects also the US Civil War fits. Especially with regards ...
Military Uniform2/16/2012
  Q: Could you possibly identify the uniform of the soldier in the attached photo. I am thinking it is ...
  A: I do not know. But I'll ask a friend of mine Lt. Col. S. Bojerud. If he can help us I'll come back ...
Bengal Light Infantry Item2/7/2012
  Q: I recently acquired this item and I am not really sure what it is. It reminds me of a belt buckle ...
  A: This is most probably a uniform item from a regiment in the army of British Imperial India. Or maybe ...
Military uniform identification1/31/2012
  Q: Just wondering if you might be able to identify the uniform in this photo? I'm not even sure when it ...
  A: She sounds like she was a hot dish in those times! I can not tell you though it looks like some ...
English Channel1/12/2012
  Q: Sir, I can't seem to find anyone yet who are British or French who knows the answere to this ...
  A: Do you mean actually shooting it ALL the way over the Channel for the first time? The ONLY such ...
Military Uniform Question1/5/2012
  Q: I was told this might be my 2nd great grandfather in his old Danish military uniform. I'm trying to ...
  A: All uniforms of all countries of that era are very similar (as are those of today). I'm not an ...
Arrow Extractor12/19/2011
  Q: Doctor Nordquist, I am not sure how widely it was used in the US, but I have seen an arrow ...
  A: I do not know any exact date but if I have understood this concept correctly this tool was in use in ...
Swedish Military Records pre 191011/14/2011
  Q: I am on a hunt for my great-grandfather whose name is unknown. My great-grandmother became pregnant ...
  A: Well without a name it will anyway be VERY DIFFICULT, probably impossible. Does the photo show any ...
Breakdown10/5/2011
  Q: I am working on a paper dealing with an American officer who suffers a nervous breakdown in a POW ...
  A: Well, first of all I'm not a psychiatrist. And this should be answered by a psychiatrist who is also ...
Patton's fake army9/24/2011
  Q: Is there a documentary or movie that I can show my students about the fake army lead by General ...
  A: I think both Discovery Channel and History Channel have done documentaries on this. Maybe also ...
Picture Identification8/2/2011
  Q: I found this picture in a box of family pictures and am trying to identify it. Of the most possible ...
  A: Was your ancestor a member of the National Guard of the U.S. state in which he lived? With his ...
European Military History7/17/2011
  Q: Was there ever an instance in European history where a nation waited for two rival nations to slug ...
  A: Well the Soviet Union under Stalin probably expected Nazi Germany and the Western Allies to do ...
cannonballs5/9/2011
  Q: «I dug up a cannonball in the ground when I was visiting my relatives in Lodz, Poland. It weighs 6 ...
  A: Oh that is indeed hard to tell. Poland has been a battle field for centuries and some cannon balls ...
Military hospital on Leyte4/24/2011
  Q: I was an officer in the dental corps with the 8th Army on Leyte in January 1945, and I think I was ...
  A: I'm a Swede living in Sweden and I have no knowledge of that hospital. The only people who can help ...
ww2, wreck in water4/8/2011
  Q: Can you help me, about ww2 planes in North Jutland, shot down in water near ...
  A: Sorry, I have no information on that though it is probably either a British plane or a German plane. ...
Mandatory Military Service in Sweden3/30/2011
  Q: My grandfather had several brothers all born in Sweden that came to the USA. Their births range from ...
  A: The sevice length varied very much over time but was in general around one year up to a year and a ...
Miltary Salutes during World War II2/24/2011
  Q: Our community theatre company is doing a stage play version of the BBC sitcom "'Allo 'Allo" which is ...
  A: No no one else is hailed here. You can interpret "Sieg Heil" as a command to hail (Hitler - no one ...
world war 22/23/2011
  Q: Could have hitler dragged the war on, if he made different desitions concerning stalingrad. And if ...
  A: Italy DID send some troops to Russia - but they turned out to not be of much help there. Italy was ...
please help identify1/31/2011
  Q: i just recieved a bayonet from my father who recieved it from a relative at 25+ years ago i have no ...
  A: Please send me some photos of it and its markings! You can copy them here. I'm not sure if I can ...
History of a Military Doctor1/29/2011
  Q: The question is a bit military history and a bit medical history. My great grandfather was a ...
  A: This was a TALL order. U.S. military history is not exactly my strong point (I'm a Swede living in ...
English medicine1/5/2011
  Q: what was english military medicine composed of in the 1190-1200 AD time period if any and how did ...
  A: Military medicine in those days was EXTREMELY primitive. Wounds were made sterile (though they did ...
military foot locker9/9/2010
  Q: I was recently given what I thought was just an old trunk. Honestly, I just thought it looked cool. ...
  A: Sorry, this is outside my area of expertise. I have no idea where it is from or how old it may be. ...
Huskarl8/14/2010
  Q: I have found a birth record for one of my ancestors born in 1772 that prefaces his father's name as ...
  A: Huskarlen means the Huskarl. Scandinavian languages (Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Icelandic and the ...
Swedish uniforms insignia7/20/2010
  Q: I trying to make a rank chart for the Swedish army from late Victorian to the introduction of the ...
  A: If you can send me what you have so far (you can copy it here) I will ask a Swedish military ...
30 Cal. water cooled machine Gun6/14/2010
  Q: How was the water circulated through the jacket of the 30 cal. water cooled machine gun? David ...
  A: I do not know if any circulation was arranged in precisely THIS gun. I assume that it is an American ...
battle of antietam5/6/2010
  Q: did the souths strategy work at the battle of antietam
  A: As can be read on my bio pages here I'm not an expert of American history or American military ...
atoms5/3/2010
  Q: what is an atom and, are they dangerous or what
  A: This is NOT a question of military history but of physics and chemistry so in principle outside my ...
Can you ID4/13/2010
  Q: this Shell was found south of Kingstree SC. I have had it for some years but am suspicious that it ...
  A: Sorry, I'm not an expert of U S ordnance. However in order to be SURE it is not dangerous you SHOULD ...
World War 1 - Field telephone4/8/2010
  Q: I am trying to find out if a family rumour is true or not. I have heard that the field telephone was ...
  A: I have checked this with a friend of mine who is an eminent military historian (Lt. Col. S. Bojerud) ...
World War 21/4/2010
  Q: My question is simple. How many Irish from the then Free State served in the British Forces- that is ...
  A: I do not know the exact figures, but they were many! I have never seen exact figures though. But ...
Uniform Identification12/25/2009
  Q: Attached is an image of my grandfather. Born in Sweden in 1874, came to USA in 1898, died in USA in ...
  A: Between 1874 and 1898 Sweden was not engaged in any war at all. The last major battle that the Royal ...
rate of fire10/26/2009
  Q: How long would it take a crew to go through the steps necessaar to fire a round from a Revolutionary ...
  A: Depends on several factors among them the size (including caliber) of the gun. The bigger the gun ...
Bleeding before transfussions10/3/2009
  Q: Mr Nordquist. I've got a question about how would folks before blood transfusions deal with someone ...
  A: First of all folk medicine is an uncertain area. There were NO working(!) treatments for severe ...
us vietnam....and ussr invasion to afghanistan9/17/2009
  Q: .. sir i have two simple question... 1)why us army invaded vietnam ? 2)why ussr invaded afghanistan ...
  A: 1.Because the USA was afraid that if Vietnam was lost the rest of South East Asia (Thailand etc.) ...
stamford berserker9/16/2009
  Q: by what i understand, the viking at stamford bridge was a berserkers, and berserkers were preists to ...
  A: The Vikings (except at the very end of the Viking period when many were Christians) were all pagan ...
gunshow wound to shoulder, 19th-century weapon6/20/2009
  Q: I recently read a 2007 answer you provided to someone who had asked about a man sustaining a GSW to ...
  A: I love both historical novels and science fiction (a few of my favorite authors are Robert A. ...
swedish mauser identifaction5/21/2009
  Q: i recently purchased a 6.5 X 5.5 Swedish mauser. i am a avid WW11 gun collector, my question is on ...
  A: The Mauser rifle of the year 1896 is almost legendary in the Royal Swedish Army. It was replaced by ...
Morning Report4/23/2009
  Q: Alan Cagle referred me to you about an injury described on a Morning Report. This describes my ...
  A: This was hard! I have great difficulties in reading the text. I can not even understand if it is an ...
World History4/20/2009
  Q: Napoleon said, "I am the signet [sign or stamp] which marks the page where the revolution has been ...
  A: I do this free of any charge - and in fact free of any financial reward whatsoever - and in my not ...
shotgun wound in 18344/4/2009
  Q: I have a simple question - what might the victim have received as far as medical care, and how ...
  A: This was an abdominal wound which probably DID penetrate to the abdominal cavity (as intestines were ...
Military Draft4/2/2009
  Q: Did Sweden have the military draft during WW1? My grandfather did his Swedish military training fom ...
  A: Sweden did indeed have the draft at that time! My own father served from 1918 for 18 months in the ...
WW 2 physician - typhoid3/21/2009
  Q: I am looking for information on a Dr. Sunday,an American physician involved in typhoid research and ...
  A: I'm sorry! This is a person and a story I'm completely unfamiliar with. I had not even heard of the ...
empire2/21/2009
  Q: 1. Is Khmer empire more powerful than Aztec empire, Incan empire, and Mayan empire (lasted over ...
  A: Please Henry, I have told you over and over that empires too different in time are not really ...
picture2/1/2009
  Q: I have a photo, that I orig thought was from civil war, but someone said that it looks like its ...
  A: Yes this can easily be from the old Austrian-Hungarian Empire. He is also holding a beer tankard ...
Berlin - between 1947 and 19531/21/2009
  Q: My grandfather visited Berlin in betwen 1947 and 1953. He wanted to visit with relatives in East ...
  A: I assume that he was a U.S. citizen. He probably did fly to West Berlin (Tempelhof?). I think those ...
history1/20/2009
  Q: 1. When decipherying, who should I trust? Here is lists of all empires throughout history I think: ...
  A: 1. You can generally trust serious academic books on the subject (but even there there may be some ...
British in ww11/19/2009
  Q: i need help for an essay and i having trouble finding the right info. so aside from these questions ...
  A: What do you mean by treaties here? Treaties are often made before or after a war, not that often ...
Dutch Japanese Conflict8/23/2008
  Q: I was told that the Dutch lost their entire air combat force along with thousands of troops ...
  A: They did. However their air combat force was not particularly big. They had big naval losses too. ...
Bodrum7/16/2008
  Q: During WW1 Bodrum had a station for German submarines. UB-14, U-21, U-35 came to Bodrum several ...
  A: Since Germany and Turkey were allies during World War 1 I'm not surprised. I have checked Sir ...
Jewish Reaction Revisited7/13/2008
  Q: Where? When? First time I asked this question. Please point me to where you answered it. If ...
  A: There really must be some misunderstanding here, either from your side, or from mine, possibly even ...
MILITARY HISTORY6/16/2008
  Q: WHAT DOES KAMEHAMEHA MEAN, WHY DO THE JAPANESE USE IT IN ONE OF THERE FAMOUS ANIME SHOWS " DRAGON ...
  A: Kamehameha is NOT Japanese! If I remember correctly it is Hawaian and I believe the name of a local ...
Gunshot wounds6/14/2008
  Q: I see you seem to be the gun shot wound guy. I am writing a book, a romance book so my weaponology ...
  A: Though being an ex-military (Lt.Col. - retired) dr. I'm not a surgeon. But I'll try to answer as ...
WWI5/15/2008
  Q: My question that you answered before was a big help so i have one more. i read that German U-boats ...
  A: Oh yes there was. The best was a convoy system where civilian ships were moved together in convoys ...
Hollywood vs History4/11/2008
  Q: I'm interested in the Hollywood vs History angle. The film "300" won big at the box office so it ...
  A: Actually many! In most cases due to oversimplifications or plain misunderstandings. In the movie 300 ...
Portugal3/26/2008
  Q: I haven't made much progress on my novel in a while, unfortunately--I'm getting extremely bogged ...
  A: Well, I'm actually an army type, not navy and especially not sailing navy. I think the safest thing ...
Swedish military 18961/26/2008
  Q: My grandfather emigrated from Sweden to the U.S. in 1899 (born in 1873). I have a copy of an item ...
  A: Interesting! What you have found is his military "registration book" for his military service ...
Brain fever1/17/2008
  Q: I'm writing a novel set in 1870's. One of my characters develops a "brain fever". I have done a ...
  A: Well, this is quite a hard one! If you think of a bacterial meningitis or encephalitis your ...
History of Colors.....12/20/2007
  Q: This is probably a difficult question, but I have got to find and answer. Well, I am trying to ...
  A: Sorry, this is a - I suspect - a very American question. I'm a Swede, living in Sweden with ...
Grandfather's death10/9/2007
  Q: I'm trying to write about my grandfather, who was shot during a deer run in June 1916. He was shot ...
  A: unfortunately I have far too little information here to do any real evaluation. In 1916 very little ...
gunshot wound from and army colt 186110/4/2007
  Q: I am writing a book which is set in the last months of the American Civil War. I saw your answer ...
  A: Well, in that case I suppose the legs would be best, but that may result in an amputation with maybe ...
Recovery from gunshot wound 18809/25/2007
  Q: Hope you can help. I'm currently trying to establish the after effects of a gunshot wound to the ...
  A: If he developed fever he may be in deep trouble! Remember this is long before antibiotics. A metal ...
German military duty6/4/2007
  Q: Is is still true that Germans must enter into the military after high school? I understand there is ...
  A: As far as I know Germany still has a military conscription system (called Militaerdienst) but there ...
Use of military history5/17/2007
  Q: Sir, I am working on my doctorate of education, focusing on the use of relevant military history in ...
  A: Well, first of all you must understand that military history is a HOBBY of mine, nothing more & ...
Battle of Visby5/8/2007
  Q: Dr. Nordquist-I am a former infantry officer and I read a statement in Keegan's "The Face of Battle" ...
  A: Well, I have read Keegan's book too. And I have read some other sources on it too, but they were all ...
Ancient Roman Battle Event12/7/2006
  Q: I would appriciate it if you could tell me about the Battle of Corbione. All I know is that the ...
  A: Not much more I'm afraid! The Roman commander - most probably a consul - is said to have been Titus ...
military button French?11/23/2006
  Q: could help identify a button It has cross axes with a number 3 under them Found it in my mothers ...
  A: Sorry, I'm not much of an expert on uniform details, so I'm afraid I can not be of much help! ...
Help appreciated11/1/2006
  Q: I am doing a project on the Monroe Doctrine and its response or lack-therof in Europe. Can you ...
  A: The Latin American wars of liberation could proceed without the Spaniards getting any support from ...
what brought the fight?10/20/2006
  Q: what was the cause of the war in vietnam?
  A: That is a LONG story! Vietnam (together with Laos & Caambodia) became a French posession during the ...
Finnish winter war10/11/2006
  Q: Even if Finlands conduct of the finnish winter war is considered to be intelligent,brave and heroic, ...
  A: Field Marshal Carl Gustav Mannerheim, Commander in Chief of the Finnish Defence Forces, wanted that ...
Americans serving with R.F.C.9/18/2006
  Q: I have a copy of Diary of an unknown Aviator. Published in 1926 by Grosset & Dunlap,with a foreward ...
  A: I can not answer this directly. But the United States' Armed Forces have a finding & identification ...
WWI military planes9/11/2006
  Q: My understanding is that on WWI fighter planes guns were mounted on the nose, if this is true, how ...
  A: That is mainly true! It was solved by the Dutch(-German) aircraft manufacturer Fokker and quickly ...
German Army8/19/2006
  Q: During WWII the German Army had certain army units made up of medically disqualified soldiers. I ...
  A: Not much unfortunately. Such units were a result of the reluctant attitude of the Wehrmacht ...
siege warfare terminology7/21/2006
  Q: My question relates to a translation of a historical text in french by the military strategist ...
  A: Well, first of all English is not my first language (which is Swedish), so I'm not sure I can indeed ...
Economic influence on America's Strategic War Decisions/Foreign Policies5/7/2006
  Q: You said you were an expert on WWII, so I thought you might have an answer to a question on a topic ...
  A: I'm not exactly an expert on WWII but I'm interested in it. It is difficult to draw a clear line ...
tanks5/4/2006
  Q: I was woundering when the first tank was invented?
  A: During the first World War (if you mean the modern tank, war chariots were used from the bronze age ...

All Questions in This Category

Military History

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

Top Expert on this page