Military History/Questions Answered by Expert Gary Adams

SubjectDate Asked
Confederate Army12/11/2009
  Q: My ancestor was promoted to fourth corporal just before he was killed at Gettysburg. I'm not ...
  A: The first corporal was above the others corporals and thus down the line, each level would have ...
buckle headstall?12/9/2009
  Q: I saw a question posted from 11/09 regarding an 1859 Style 6 buckle headstall. I think I have one as ...
  A: You're asking something I know little, I know enough to venture a "good" guess. You can probably ...
identity of yacht .12/6/2009
  Q: we sailed from southhampton England to Utah beach september 1944, we were on a yacht that was ...
  A: I am sorry but I specialize in the War of Northern Aggression, but I am sure the two are one in the ...
Last Civil War Veterans11/13/2009
  Q: I recall reading that as late as 1960,a handful of very old Civil War Vets marched in Veteran's Day ...
  A: I know enough to know it has been debated as to who was the last veteran, who was lying. What I ...
45th Infantry Division of U.S. Army during World War II11/11/2009
  Q: I would like to know what my grandfather's unit did during World War II. He was in Company 33 and ...
  A: I am sorry I do American Civil War (southroners until the last few years when referring to the war ...
Identify 'US' disk buckle11/5/2009
  Q: I'm trying to identify a round brass disk marked 'US'. The disk is 1 and 3/4 inches across. The 'US' ...
  A: Yes, please forward me a picture. Tell you what here and to southron_98@hotmail.com. Take a look ...
Parade Images10/26/2009
  Q: I was wondering if you could help me. I have a collection of Military parade images that I am using ...
  A: I doubt if I can be of any help especially if it is about the damn eagle but sure please send them ...
Frederick Aiken10/11/2009
  Q: Do you have any info on Frederick Aiken[attorney for Mary Surratt]and his relationship with ...
  A: I am sorry nothing beyond what you would find on a Goggle search, would you like me to gather a few ...
small cannon ball10/10/2009
  Q: I live in Ridgeville, SC and my dog has brought me two small iron balls smaller than a tennis ball ...
  A: I need to see a picture and ask if they have any place that might appear to be a plugged hole? ...
Civil War Hat10/10/2009
  Q: I purchased this hat it was from an estate sale in Nantucket (Wood family). How can I find ...
  A: My sources are closed can I get back to you on Monday? I am in the hospital so you may have to ...
Civil War Uniform?9/14/2009
  Q: I have a photograph of an ancestor wearing a uniform that appears to be from around the time of the ...
  A: Take a look at Civil War Times December 2009 issue! Here is what a expert has said "By ...
Staues of Generals9/11/2009
  Q: I have heard over and over again that when there is a statue of a General on a horse, the horses leg ...
  A: This is a simple one, I too heard these rumors but I took each rumor and applied to statue after ...
funeral protocols8/19/2009
  Q: I am a member of two Honor Guards, one a DAV and the other a VFW. A discussion came up concerning ...
  A: I am sorry but this is outside my expertise (Civil War)however I did call Marines Headquarters and ...
sergeant stripes8/7/2009
  Q: We are trying to scrapbook the stripes from an army uniform and don't know if they face down or up.
  A: Well this is outside my expertise but I think this site will help you ...
what to do?6/30/2009
  Q: Mr. Adams, I am getting ready to start my senior year in high school but no one really supports ...
  A: I am sorry but exactly what is your question? Are you looking for particular books, schools? I ...
approximately 10 lbs. Brass ball6/25/2009
  Q: Retired antiques dealer. Would like to identify, make safe,and sell if it has value. You gentlemen ...
  A: I need the exact circumference and I bet the weight is anything but ten (10) pounds on the dot and ...
Harpers Ferry 1850 rifle6/11/2009
  Q: Sir; My husband just gave me a Birthday gift that I cannot believe. I am a Southerner to the core, ...
  A: Well, first I am not a sir but Gary. You really don’t have a clear question so I am going to wing ...
canteen6/5/2009
  Q: I SUBMITTED A PHOTO OF A WOODEN CANTEEN TO YOU AND I AM AWAITING A ANSWER AS TO VINTAGE
  A: Before I spoke to you last my mind was made up I was sure because the straps were steel, the loops ...
Civil War Ship5/29/2009
  Q: I am trying to find out what type of ship the Dredge (assumed U.S.S. but don't know) is. I am a ...
  A: Due to the delay waiting for the National Park Service to open and to be assured of my earlier ...
Drummer Boys5/20/2009
  Q: I'm in 9th grade and im doing a project on civil war drummer boys. I was wondering if you knew ...
  A: I have taken a chance and gone ahead and answered (I think) your question if not please feel free to ...
Stonewall Jackson5/19/2009
  Q: Doing a school project on thesis that Gettysburg would have been different with Jackson present. ...
  A: I think Jackson would have moved to take Culp's Hill...something that Ewell didn't do, costing the ...
spencer carbine4/26/2009
  Q: I have a spencer carbine # 48797 how can I find out when issued and to what unit? thanks otto
  A: Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. The only firm I know who does this is ...
Civil War Uniform?4/14/2009
  Q: I am wondering if this is a Civil War Uniform? I was given this photo, possibly an ancestor who was ...
  A: No, I am sorry but it is not a Civil War era uniform. I am providing these sites for reference: ...
looking for a Confederate Marine4/5/2009
  Q: Mr. Adams, W. B. Hawes of Duplin Co., NC stated on his pension application in 1919 that he enlisted ...
  A: You had ask AllExperts.com about the possibility of a relative connection to the Civil War, I have ...
Confederate cavalry rifle carrying methods3/24/2009
  Q: I am curious to the various methods that Southern cavalrymen, particularly west of the Mississippi, ...
  A: Bob, I called several different persons to include historians and reenacters and the consensus was ...
General William. T. Sherman3/15/2009
  Q: My question is of Civil War General, William T. Sherman. General Sherman graduated West Point. I ...
  A: I always continue researching my answers and wanted to add this to back up what I reported. I have ...
uniform identification3/6/2009
  Q: This is a photo of an ancestor of mine. The photo was taken in Nashville TN around 1890-92. The ...
  A: I believe it is infantry officer; however I am going to go out on a limb and venture that there ...
cannonballs2/24/2009
  Q: I found 4 balls in or around the area of a local university in massachusetts that is near the ocean. ...
  A: This is going to take a while as they can be a odd size. At the beginning of the 18th century after ...
ID Civil War Uniform2/22/2009
  Q: I have a picture of a relative in what I believe is a civil war uniform. I am wondering if indeed ...
  A: Daguerreotypes were popular from 1839 to 1860 while tintypes were popular from1856 until the early ...
civil war uniform2/1/2009
  Q: i have a photo that looks like its from civil war. Can you identify if it is? i'm interested in the ...
  A: Which confirms what I said about where the uniform is from; regardless of where the photographer is ...
Major General Chamberlin12/31/2008
  Q: Please enlarge on your comment that he was not quite what he made himself out to be. (I am an author ...
  A: I can answer this for my dad I have heard it a hundred times. What he meant was at the time many ...
sterling silver ring12/28/2008
  Q: I have a sterling silver ring that has crossed swords on the front and is stamped U.S. I believe it ...
  A: My dad asked that you look inside the ring? If you find a sterling symbol, it would indicate a 20th ...
battle of fort wagner/mortars12/26/2008
  Q: i learned in class that there was a mortar launcher aboard a ship that shot 100 lmb mortars up to ...
  A: My dad called and I asked him your question. He said, “There were not anything unusual in the ...
circa 1850-60's Kentucky Long Rifle12/15/2008
  Q: An heirloom passed down in the family. The many greats grandfather that carried this rifle, rode ...
  A: If it is a Long Rifle or Kentucky Rifle then he did not carry but if that is what you have you have ...
Who is considered a Yankee12/15/2008
  Q: I am a southerner married to a Yankee and he is driving me crazy. One big point of argument, whish ...
  A: The only stupid thing is a "yankee" by defintion a yankee is anyone born in the orginial States that ...
Information requested on Comfederate Marine12/14/2008
  Q: My great grandfather, George Rockingham Gilmer Huff was first a member of Co. K, 6th GA Inf.from ...
  A: When I first started volunteering I used to run down the questioners relatives but found I was ...
saluting pilot before flight11/23/2008
  Q: I have been in the Air force for 18 years and remember being overseas and watching AFN "back in the ...
  A: Sorry for the delay but I had to work today. This is outside my field as I am a Civil War expert ...
Response: General James Longstreet - Nickname10/28/2008
  Q: I wonder if you could explain how James Longstreet acquired the appelation/nickname "Old Pete". In ...
  A: I have learned why General Longstreet was named "Pete" his father also named Pete named the boy ...
eagle pin with crossed swords10/18/2008
  Q: I have a neat gold eagle pin with crossed swords; it has a v and an upside down v in a shield, and ...
  A: I am sorry but my dad is in the hospital. I asked him and he said he would bet it was a VFW or ...
Naval History - USS Bibb10/1/2008
  Q: Gary: SpecificI was researching the USS Bibb online. Most websites stated that there were two USS ...
  A: There were three: USS Bibb (1843), a revenue cutter launched on 10 April 1845. USS Bibb (1853), a ...
Battle of Shoes (Gettysburg)9/3/2008
  Q: I am not so sure, My Dear Sir, that the confederates where not looking for shoes, or footwear prior ...
  A: you do not have any real question, but I appreciate your comments. Just the same I'll stick to my ...
uniforms /years/regiments/ medal/or anything else8/14/2008
  Q: I'm sending you photos from a family album of the 1800's. Although we have not yet identified ...
  A: I don't understand your question. If we are trying to identify what these guys are we have our work ...
please answer my question7/30/2008
  Q: My question is did either sides militia wear kepis?
  A: You're in luck both sides (in disregard of regulations) usually allowed the soldier to wear the hat ...
"Cotton Sampler" knives6/15/2008
  Q: How old is the design of the "cotton sampling" knife? I know that they have been made for at least ...
  A: Mr. Tennis, I am sorry but I am not going to be of any help with your question. I could only ...
Snake bite Casualties6/13/2008
  Q: My dad is very intersted in the Civil War, and in snakes. He is curious about the number of ...
  A: You are right it is a unique question, first please allow me to present a site I use a lot ...
Sherman's March to the Sea6/9/2008
  Q: As they used to say, "I like the cut of your jib" what do you think of the Historys' Channel show ...
  A: If not for the seriousness of the subject I would have said “you had me at hello”. Do I think he ...
Coloured Troops6/4/2008
  Q: A simple yes or no with a single reference will suffice did the Confederacy have Coloured troops?
  A: By your spelling of "coloured" I take it you are a "Southroner"? Yankees don't know we used to ...
i need help5/30/2008
  Q: what shape are world war one dog tags? also, do you know what size shell exploded in the #2 gun ...
  A: While this is not in my area of expertise (War of Northern Aggression) I will try to answer your ...
Battle over shoes and Devils den5/26/2008
  Q: What battle was started because soldiers were looking for shoes? Also, why was Devils Den important? ...
  A: Tell your teacher the answer is Gettsyburg but the book is wrong the story about the Army seeking ...
Jefferson Davis5/22/2008
  Q: what did jefferson davis do after the war was over
  A: This was way too easy you could find better sources on the man almost anywhere, but what the heck ...
The burning of Palmyra4/30/2008
  Q: What was the population of Palmyra,Montgomery County,Tennessee,at the time of its burning by ...
  A: I am sorry for the delay but I just received the data and rushed to get it to you. It seems the ...
Civil War4/26/2008
  Q: What did drummer boys for the Union Army Wear? What is the difference between a fifer and a ...
  A: Jordan, I am sorry for the delay but I was away and had not expected to have gone this long. ...
Civil war4/24/2008
  Q: What types of music and musical insruments were used in the civil war? What other musicians were in ...
  A: This is an easy one. The bands during the Civil War used the same instruments as their counterparts ...
Research Paper on WWII4/17/2008
  Q: Which would be a better topic for a research paper? Hitler's Life, The Role of the US, or The ...
  A: The bad news is I specialize in the American Civil War, however let me say any of them are going to ...
Hollywood vs History4/11/2008
  Q: I'm interested in the Hollywood vs History angle. The film "300" won big at the box office so it ...
  A: Jim, I hate having answered you with that sorry answer. I just was banned from "Yahoo Answers" for ...
Benjamin Franklin Ammons 1829-1907.4/5/2008
  Q: I'm trying to find out if Benjamin Franklin Ammons, who was with Company L, 1st Tennessee Heavy ...
South Winning3/11/2008
  Q: I constantly come across alternative-history novels/game-mods etc. in which the South wins the ...
  A: As much as I would love to say yes, I seriously doubt it. To me there was only one real chance ...
the purpose of the drumerboy in the revolutionary war2/14/2008
  Q: ik a 8th grade student and doing a project for a slide show theres alot of people doing it we have ...
  A: It is ok a drummers responsibility was the same for the War of Northern Aggression as it was for the ...
civil war2/3/2008
  Q: I am trying to locate a database for headstones which have been issued for the men (women?) who ...
  A: Christy, I am sorry this is an often asked question and there is no good news there are no lists ...
1860 Spencer Carbine1/2/2008
  Q: I want an original Spencer Civil War carbine to add to my collection. An old man has one locally ...
  A: Rick, That's more than a fair price. As you are probably aware, the value will only go up over ...
American Revalution12/31/2007
  Q: I have reason to believe that my ggggrand father served and received a grant of land for his ...
  A: While this is outside my expertise I think I can offer some advice that might help. There are two ...
DFC12/28/2007
  Q: I work in a nursing home and one of our residents recieved the DFC. His name is Jim Larue Col. Ret. ...
  A: Well, my specialty is the Civil War but I believe I can help you. The easiest thing would to write ...
confederate navy12/19/2007
  Q: I am looking at making contact with an expert on the Confederate Navy to talk about a proposed ...
  A: I can only offer you the same information I provided Mr. Burns. My first suggestion would be the ...
Civil War and the Presidential Election12/1/2007
  Q: There was a presidential election during the Civil War. How did the government get around the ...
  A: If you are interested in "other" injustices against the South Provide me a email address and I will ...
Civil War Prisoner Transport9/1/2007
  Q: I have an ancestor who was a prisoner at Salisbury Prison. When he was released, he was moved in ...
  A: I am sorry but after hours at the US Naval Archives and other sources I can't find anything. If ...
CSMC9/1/2007
  Q: BTW....... You ever seen a picture/drawing of a CSMC flag? I assume they had one but I've never ...
  A: In reviewing the regulations for the Marines and records I found accoutrements, arms and uniforms ...
Civil War/AWI Uniform8/21/2007
  Q: I received a great old photo of a man in what appears to be a civil war era uniform. It is in an ...
  A: if it were me and I am answering like it was, I would take it to an appraiser. Someone honest as if ...
Uniform Identification7/2/2007
  Q: I was recently given old photos of my ancestors. One in particular interested me, as the man in the ...
  A: I am sorry but I really doubt it. I would guess it was a fraternity (Mason?) or veterans outfit. ...
Civil war drummer boys-Union6/9/2007
  Q: Adams, i am a student in the eighth grade, and i am doing a social studies project ...
  A: Over 100,000 boys younger than 15 enlisted in the Union Army, there were even 300 boys younger than ...
Branch and Designation of Pin5/10/2007
  Q: Found pin of eagle with crossed swords and symbol in middle of 2 V's.First V is is upright second V ...
  A: I still need that info and picture. GA
Dual Loyalties1/13/2007
  Q: G'day Garry, Thought I would come through here for this one. Read a vague reference to a book ...
  A: I am not familiar with either that author or book title, what I have found is many of these ...
unifrom1/12/2007
  Q: sir , pl tell the importance of military uniform and its importance about colour
  A: In most cases the uniform unites a loose group into set boundaries, it identifies you from the enemy ...
Confederate Marine Corps in the 1950s12/26/2006
  Q: Gary, I have a card that belonged to my Grand Father (Col C. W. Stahl; USMC 1917 - 1952) that is an ...
  A: Gregg, Any answer will be coming straight to you, However I would bet my last dollar it is like I ...
pin, button12/21/2006
  Q: I recently came to own a pin the was two pieces. The top piece is white with the years 1864-1902 ...
  A: Off hand I would say it his GAR pin (Grand Army of the Republic) is there anyway you can send me a ...
help11/27/2006
  Q: i'm doing a school term paper on snipers, their history through the the years and their affects both ...
  A: I think you’ll be very happy with these they include film clips as well as enemy snipers, please let ...
the bible11/18/2006
  Q: You sometimes end your answers with "god bless you and yours and the southerners", or something like ...
  A: Am I serious, as serious as a screendoor in a submarine. I am serious about the God part I figure ...
OBSCURE CIVIL WAR11/4/2006
  Q: G'day Garry, As promised,or threatened[lol]I have been going through my old notes. I found some ...
  A: 1) The Red River Campaign was the Union's attempt to establish firm control in Louisiana and to ...
Civil War10/24/2006
  Q: Garry,What can you tell me about the following 1.A Southern Cavalry unit under the command of Rip ...
  A: I need to start asking you the questions; while I knew about the Battle I did not know who Rip Ford ...
Mosby's Rangers10/21/2006
  Q: Garry,history tells us John Singleton Mosby was a regular Officer in the Confederate Army.Why then ...
  A: Jeff, Please believe me when I say I am not braggart when I give an answer I like to “expend”, ...
Glory10/17/2006
  Q: I have watched the movie and I loved it but I have just a small question.... Does the movie Glory ...
  A: Like any movie, it has mistakes or in this case artistic liberties. Like when they flogged ...
Captial Hill murder leading up the civil war10/8/2006
  Q: I recall learning about how one congressman shot another while the congress was in session just ...
  A: I do not remember anything like what you describe in fact there is this single exert from the ...
Galvanized yankee9/7/2006
  Q: Was any of the confederate troops captured and then offered a soldier job with the Yankee troops? ...
  A: Please rate our Services,God Bless. es, you answered your own questioned Southerners who switched ...
Civil War9/1/2006
  Q: 1) Was it President Lincoln, US Congress or both who were determined to fight the South during the ...
  A: Your rating of us and the services are VERY import please remember to rate both and to tell your ...
Confederate Marine Corps7/27/2006
  Q: Mr. Adams I am trying to find any documentation such as enlistment records, payroll, or really just ...
  A: I read your email posting concerning information about a Confederate Marine. One of the referenced ...
Civil War Casualties7/26/2006
  Q: I was looking at casualty statistics from various US wars. The Union had an unusually high ...
  A: Dave, I think if you look these figures and take into account the difference in the size of the ...
banks and pre civil war era7/18/2006
  Q: I heard about banks in the pre civil war era using fulton steamboats to take the bank's treasure ...
military pin6/21/2006
  Q: while planting some flowers in the back yard i found a military pin and some bullets.my home is near ...
  A: Well, because I am curious I would love to see a picture but the only people I know who can answer ...
Wooden canteen6/21/2006
  Q: About 2 years ago, I foolishly bought a "revolutionary war era" wooden canteen. It did look the ...
  A: Without seeing the canteen, I would never venture a guess but the hole or other details would be ...
letter about George Moorman Confederate6/7/2006
  Q: I hope you will be able to answer this question for me. My mother has some letters written before, ...
  A: I am afraid I could not begin to tell you why he would be at headquarters. What I would suggest is ...
cival war2/15/2006
  Q: what is the best cival war books? the best author?
  A: Dave, That certainly is an open question and about one of the most overlooked battles of the ...
Southern Generals and the Souths Navy2/7/2006
  Q: I have read that the Southern Generals as a whole tended to be egotistic and confrontational in ...
  A: I have read that the Southern Generals as a whole tended to be egotistic and confrontational in ...
Canteen, round, Mfgr. Schrader, patent 19081/21/2006
  Q: Our church Thrift Shop was given a canteen, round/flat about 8" dia., steel tinned or chromed. It ...
  A: Well, I specialize in Confederate History but have opted to research it. Write me at ...
wher and when next reeactment1/21/2006
  Q: when and where are you going to be an reenactor?
  A: There is a upcoming revolutionary war reenactment in Gloucester. There are countless events but I ...
question10/27/2005
  Q: Just whenever field artillery started.. i guess the earliest you think it was whenever that was. k ...
  A: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_Artillery_in_the_American_Civil_War ...
Appomattox10/9/2005
  Q: Let me try again as I think I used the wrong address earlier. What happened at Appomattox besides ...
  A: You are lucky I keep copies of my answers. I have bad news for you, the incident of which you speak ...
Appomattox10/9/2005
  Q: What happened betwwen the Armies at Appomattox that showed the world the North and South could be ...
civil war movie Glory10/8/2005
  Q: my class just recently watched the movie Glory and i was left with a bit of confusion.. i was ...
  A: 1-During training, Shaw often appeared cold and heartless. Why is Shaw so tough on the men? ...
Wooden canteen7/29/2005
  Q: Mr. Adams, I have a wooden canteen. I was told it was from the War of 1812. However, it has ...
  A: Please send me the picture as may-be I can figure it out. Unbelievably, they used wooden canteens ...
Question6/27/2005
  Q: Isn't it true the Northern states at the beginning of the Civil War also had slaves? When slavey was ...
  A: Isn't it true the Northern states at the beginning of the Civil War also had slaves? When slavery ...
Missionary Ridge Battle/nuclear6/23/2005
  Q: I have a two part question. On November 24, 1863 in Tennessee there was a battle. Someone in that ...
  A: On November 24, 1863 in Tennessee there was a battle. Someone in that battle had to do with an ...
Battle of Shiloh4/30/2005
  Q: Mr. Adams, I am An avid Civil War buff and I would like to know what Is the best book written about ...
  A: Mr. O'Neill II, That certainly is an open question and about one of the most overlooked ...
Marine Service Confederate Army3/13/2005
  Q: Mr. Adams, My great great grandfather was in Company E of the South Carolina Infantry from 11 ...
  A: I am not sure I understood your question so if you feel this does not answer it please write back ...
study3/12/2005
  Q: My son is a junior in high school. He has an avid interest in military history. He had hoped to go ...
  A: In response to your inquiry, please allow me, to first say something openly and honestly father to ...
Gettysburg2/1/2005
  Q: How do I find out if my Grandfather was at Getttysburg. His last name was Kingsnorth from NY.
  A: In response to your question while it is, somewhat of an easy task it is time consuming. You did ...
Nuclear Weapon10/24/2004
  Q: Heloo Please tell me what parallels are there between the introduction of the gun and introduction ...
  A: Please return and rate our services. If you are unhappy with me please do not allow that to ...
Revolutionary War10/14/2004
  Q: Who do you think should have won the Revolutionary War?
  A: Are you sure you are asking the right person? I see everything in shades of grey. I mean because ...
Confederate Communication10/7/2004
  Q: Yes, that is probably us.....We are making documentaries on different subjects of war. Were you ...
  A: I answered itin detail yesterday and the one the each day before that. We go by rating and none of ...
war10/1/2004
  Q: I would like to know haf u seen the documentary movie about war “13 days”. If u haf can u tell me ...
  A: Are you talking about the movie on the Cuban missle crisis? I am a Civil War expert, but will try ...
Nathan Bedford Forest/Jeb Stuart8/24/2004
  Q: Gary, What is your opinion of these two Great calvary commanders. Nathan Bedford Forest and Jeb ...
  A: Wow, certainly the most reaching and intelligent question in many a day. As when comparing any two ...
American Civil War2/22/2004
  Q: My name is Ben and in school, I am studying the American Civil War. All students are required to do ...
  A: Son, We are not supposed to help with homework but as long as I am not writing the paper I do ...

All Questions in This Category

Military History

Gary Adams

Top Expert on this page