Military History/Questions Answered by Expert Erick Nason

SubjectDate Asked
World War II military record8/3/2009
  Q: First, I am impressed by your background. My father was a World War II Army Officer. Due to post ...
  A: AR (Army Regulation) 605-250 was in 1944 the governing regulation for determination of disability. ...
Cannon Ball8/3/2009
  Q: I was recently assisting in cleaning the basement of an elderly woman in Portland, ME. One of the ...
  A: Sorry for the late response, just returned from Germany. There is a possibility that its a 12 pound ...
Kentucky Longrifle7/16/2009
  Q: I have come across what I think is a Kentucky Longrifle at an antique shop. The staff at the shop ...
  A: First, is it a Kentucky,a Pennsylvania, or any other state like North Carolina Long Rifle ...
Cannon ball Identification7/6/2009
  Q: Can you please help me Identify a cannonball I purchased at an estate sale of an artillery ...
  A: Sorry for the late reply, I was on vacation. From what you describe, it is a standard 9-pound cannon ...
cannonball found on CA coast6/25/2009
  Q: My wife's grandfather found a cannonball while digging in his backyard on a hillside overlooking the ...
  A: Do you have an approximate weight of the ball. It sounds like either a 6 or 12 pound ball. However, ...
Cannonball filled with musket balls6/11/2009
  Q: A cannonball, approximately 10" wide, is one of the exhibits at Fort Point Museum in LaHave, Nova ...
  A: Gary, Sorry for the late response, I was in Europe. What it sounds like you have a mortar shell, ...
aztecs6/7/2009
  Q: Im doing a project on the Spanish conquering of mesoamerica. I was wondering what the differences ...
  A: Currently I am on the road (in Germany) but I'll see what I can do. Differences between the Spanish ...
world war II5/17/2009
  Q: i need help answering a couple of qustions 1: when and why did world war 2 start 2: what weapons and ...
  A: You asked a very broad question. World War II officially began September 1st, 1939 when Germany ...
Madhist firearms in the 1883 War5/14/2009
  Q: I'm doing a project on the Anglo-Sudanese war and the many reasons why the British had the ...
  A: For the most part, the Mahdists used their traditional weapons: swords, spears and shields. They may ...
Identify British uniform5/14/2009
  Q: Attached photo has always been identified in the family as portrait of Capt. William Todd, 43rd ...
  A: Everything I found concerning the 43rd Regiment of Foot has been accurate, except for an exact ...
1812 Cannonball?5/11/2009
  Q: I have a 28 pound, 6" cannonball that I believe is from the War of 1812 Chesapeake campaign. It ...
  A: I am not sure about 28-pound shot, where as the 24-pound shot was very common for that area. Most ...
US Marines in Europe During WWII5/8/2009
  Q: If the Doctrine for tactics during 1930 for the Marines was to establish a beach head so the army ...
  A: The simple answer, there were not enough Marines. They were all fighting out in the Pacific. The ...
2.25 inch cannonball5/3/2009
  Q: I have a cannonball that is approx. 2.25 inches in diameter. It is not as proportionally round as ...
  A: Do you have a photo perchance, then this may make it easier. Are you describing a ball that is ...
SWAT tatics4/30/2009
  Q: I am 17 and really want to be in the swat team and i just what to know what is some of the tactics ...
  A: While I was not a member of a SWAT team, I was trained in hostage rescue. There are different ...
Origin of 4" - 9 1/2 lb cannonball4/27/2009
  Q: I found a cannonball at estate in California this morning and would like to know it's origin.It is ...
  A: With the fact you found a 9 LB cannon ball with a 4" diameter could come from various sources. With ...
Civil War?4/21/2009
  Q: I have a 7 inch in diameter 47 lb cannon ball and was wondering what you knew about such a size.
  A: I have found a couple references close to this description. There is Federal spherical shot, 6.84 ...
Big cannon ball4/10/2009
  Q: I have a cannon ball i found about 6 years ago in king and Queen county in Virginia its about 100lb ...
  A: I live in Caroline County. From what you are describing, can be possibly a mortar shot from the ...
Western Artillery4/6/2009
  Q: I need this question answered for my History class! Who introduced interchangeable parts to the ...
  A: Good question. I know from my personal experience that Great Britain made their artillery parts ...
sullivan's march3/9/2009
  Q: i live in waverly, ny about one mile north of athens, pa and 6 miles east of newtown battlefield. ...
  A: Interesting piece of history. The best sources that would confirm this legend would be the orderly ...
Battle of Waterloo3/1/2009
  Q: Were the 95th Rifles a determining factor in the British victory at Waterloo? If so can you give me ...
  A: I do not believe so. While the 95th was very effective, it was such a small element of a larger ...
french cannon2/27/2009
  Q: I have a bronze cannon I believe to be French...has a 33" barrel and 2.25 inch bore,,about 5 inches ...
  A: With the demensions you describe, it sounds like a bronze 3-pound cannon, which would normally have ...
empires2/22/2009
  Q: 1. Does Ming, Tang, British, and Spanish Empire makes top ten empires? 2. What about Aztec, Inca, ...
  A: Sure, the Ming and Tang, while short lived when compared to the others, added to the world's culture ...
empire2/21/2009
  Q: 1. Is Khmer empire more powerful than Aztec empire, Incan empire, and Mayan empire (lasted over ...
  A: You are asking subjective questions, it depends on what category you are asking about. As whether or ...
empire2/18/2009
  Q: 1. Here is my lists of world major empires: Roman, Han, Tang, Song, Ming, Venetian, Ottomon, Huns, ...
  A: Here are some unknown civilizations that may or may not of been Empires, but ghives you something to ...
Bronze or Brass cannon ball2/5/2009
  Q: I have a 5 inch diameter ball with 3 sealed bore holes in it. It appears to be hollow. The holes are ...
  A: It will be hard to say based on your description. Where did you get it from? How heavy is it? From ...
American Revolution1/27/2009
  Q: Do you know of any lists of British Prisoners Of War from the battles of Freemans Farm, and Saratoga ...
  A: Sorry for the late response, I just returned from Iraq. Here is some background info: In ...
Cannon ball1/25/2009
  Q: I found a cannon ball in my backyard//I live in Lower Sussex County(Laurel, DE) just 10miles outside ...
  A: Sorry for the late response, I just returned from Iraq. Delaware was spared from most of the heavy ...
bronze ball1/23/2009
  Q: I saw you note re bronze cannon ball. I have a similar ball, but it is only 2 and 1/4 inches in ...
  A: Sorry for the late response, I just got back from Iraq. From what it sounds like, it could be a 3-4 ...
Revoutionary War Officer/Tennessee River Forts1/22/2009
  Q: I need to find out the name of the Revolutionary War Officer who had charge of one of the first ...
  A: The big ones I can think of is Fort Loudoun, or the Tellico Blockhouse. However, to know of the ...
cannon ball i have1/21/2009
  Q: I just purchased a piece of historic property that was built in the lat 18th century. at one time in ...
  A: Sorry for the late response, I just got back from Iraq. It depends on where your property is ...
unconventional Tactics1/3/2009
  Q: can ypup please tell me some of the unconventional tactics used by germany and the US. also can you ...
  A: Sorry for the late response, just returned from Germany. Unconventional tactics can be a broad ...
cannon ball12/23/2008
  Q: Erick, my sister-in-law gave us what appears to be a cannon ball (as a stocking stuffer no doubt!), ...
  A: Sorry about the late response, just got back from Europe. A bronze cannon ball? I have not heard or ...
falklands war12/9/2008
  Q: hey, i just wondering if you could shed any light on a recent essay question i have been set? it ...
  A: Sorry for the late response, I just got back from Kuwait. To answer your question, (this is my ...
Rev. War Ship12/7/2008
  Q: My 8th Great grandfahter was on a ship by the name of Jay, once named the Liverpool around 1790, ...
  A: Sorry for the late response, I have just returned from Kuwait. I could not find any of these names ...
pistol12/1/2008
  Q: i have a gun my grandfather gave to that his grandfather gave to him, i was told that it came from ...
  A: From what I can tell you: You have a first Generation Colt Single Action Army or also known as the ...
8 inch cannonball11/25/2008
  Q: I purchased a 8 inch 80 pound cannonball from an estate sale wit the understanding it came from the ...
  A: The two Federal gunboats supporting the defense of Pittsburgh landing, the USS Tyler and USS ...
trying to identify cavalry sabre11/10/2008
  Q: my name is simon and I know of a person that has a very old cavalry sabre that might appear to be ...
  A: Simon, From what I know of Prussian Cavalry Sabres, both light and heavy, that none that I have ...
Military Tactics11/3/2008
  Q: I recently was told that one of the tactics employed by Britain and Russia in WW1 was to invade ...
  A: Interesting story. I have never seen anything to support this theory about a combined Allied ...
Mauser bayonet & scabbard10/29/2008
  Q: After reading the following answer you sent to someone, I have what I believe to be a WWII German ...
  A: The standard WWII mauser nomenclature was K98, so the bayonet would be K98 as well. They had various ...
Bombs that look like toys10/27/2008
  Q: I am trying to compile a list of bombs that have been mistakened or looked like toys. Clusterbombs ...
  A: The Soviets used a scaterable cluster munition called a butterfly, small, flat squared-shape ...
American Revolution cannon balls10/22/2008
  Q: Once a cannon ball was fired, could the cannon ball be reused?
  A: It depended on the target. For cannon balls shot at advancing infantry or impacted soft ground or ...
Historical Debate10/16/2008
  Q: What are the historical debates surrounding the Battle of Waterloo? Thanks Josh
  A: Most of what I have seen involve "Monday Morning Quarterbacks" and "What-ifs" concerning the battle. ...
36 pounder cannon ball10/16/2008
  Q: I have a 36 pound solid shot that was cast from a two piece mold. It was dredged from the Muskegon ...
  A: A 36-pound shot would be the typical shot for a carronade that would have been used on the Great ...
cannonballs from the american colonial/revolution10/13/2008
  Q: Did the cannonballs from the American Revolution have shrapnel? If they did not, how were they used ...
  A: The majority of the shot in the American Revolution was solid ball, grape shot, and cannister. There ...
Cannonball - war of 1812 era10/4/2008
  Q: I live roughly 200 yards from the Patuxent River in Maryland. I recently discovered a cannonball in ...
  A: What you are describing sounds like a 6 lb shot, which could have been used by either side, ...
the civil war compared to the modern day10/1/2008
  Q: I know that racism is also still in America and it was also in the civil war. But what else is the ...
  A: One thing that I have noticed in my study of military history, while technology may have improved ...
Ranger History9/26/2008
  Q: Where could I find information on native American fighting techniques and their influence on the ...
  A: So far, the best examples of Native American fighting techniques that may have influenced the ...
Most briliiant military commanders9/19/2008
  Q: Who would be your top 5. Leaders who could outsmart their oppenents with stragety's and tactics ...
  A: Good Question. Napoleon would be one along with Wellington, both commanders fought against numerous ...
biscayen balls9/10/2008
  Q: I recently aquired 2 biscayen balls, one taken from the battlefield at Quatre Bras and the other ...
  A: From what I can figure, the French were using the biscayen balls in the transition periods from the ...
Te Battle of Waterloo9/5/2008
  Q: What would you say the main reasons were for Napoleon losing the Battle of Waterloo?
  A: Sorry for the late response, I just returned from a teaching engagement in Pearl Harbor. My ...
war of 1812 cannonball9/3/2008
  Q: Mr Nason, A friend of mine found a cannonball we believe to be from the War of 1812, Battle of ...
  A: As long as its solid shot. I would recommend soaking it in Break Free or WD40 and with a good metal ...
world war II bayonet8/22/2008
  Q: my father gave me this bayonet that he found in germany buried in the ground about 20 years ago. im ...
  A: What you have there is a mauser 1898 bayonet. Basically, its an early World War II bayonet that is ...
Battle of Moore's Creek Bridge, 17766/27/2008
  Q: My GGGG grandfather, Lt. Burwell Mooring, was in the Dobbs (now Wayne) County Militia in Captain ...
  A: From what i could find, the Dobbs County Militia did a great job of maintaining their orderly books ...
british insignia5/28/2008
  Q: is it american, british or both navies which an officer carries an insignia with 2 bars and a star ? ...
  A: I know for a modern American Naval Officer: Two thick bars and a star indicate a Lieutenant, a thick ...
Nuclear Debate Question5/27/2008
  Q: I am asking this question because it is a question in a debate I have been having with a friend. I ...
  A: You are correct in stating we have more than enough nuclear weapons in our arsenal to destroy the ...
Historical fighting techniques4/20/2008
  Q: what is it called when 2 guys fight the enemy their backs touching one facing one way and the other ...
  A: I do not believe this defensive tactic can be found in any of the classical "fechtbucher" or fencing ...
Hollywood vs History4/11/2008
  Q: I'm interested in the Hollywood vs History angle. The film "300" won big at the box office so it ...
  A: It depends on what you are looking for,and what time period. For the most part, unless specifically ...
Cannon Balls3/25/2008
  Q: I have what I think is a 10" diameter cannon ball which is hollowed out in the centre and weighs ...
  A: 10 inch diameter is the standard size for a howitzer, or it could be a land mortar who fired a ...
Waterloo3/21/2008
  Q: Do you think that if Napoleon was in charge of his troops instead of his field Marshall he could ...
  A: Definitely, Napoleon was not in his best form at Waterloo. He was suffering from the long effects of ...
weapans and uniforms3/10/2008
  Q: Can you please supply me with the costs of military uniforms in the 1800's. I would also appreciate ...
  A: I am assuming your asking about the United States? During the 1800s, there were two major arms ...
KuK 1st Kavalrie Division Commanders2/10/2008
  Q: Can you help me find out more information on a Feldmarschalleutnant Gayer of the 1st Kavalrie ...
  A: Sorry for the late response, I was in the middle of teaching a course. You got me, I can not find ...
Cannon ball2/8/2008
  Q: Erick, I have stumbled across what appears to be a cannon ball. 40 pounds, exactly, and 6 1/4 inches ...
  A: The only cannons I found with that size ball are coastal and siege artillery pieces. For example: ...
Biscayen Balls2/6/2008
  Q: I don't know if you can help but I'm trying to find out about Biscayen Balls around the time of the ...
  A: Biscayen balls up to a 1/4 pound have been recovered from the Quatre Bras. Biscayen balls were ...
Contemporary low-intensity conflict within Pacific Islands1/17/2008
  Q: I am currently researching my M.A. Thesis at the University of Canterbury in New Zealand. I am ...
  A: Sorry for the late response, just returned from Germany. You posed an interesting question. I know ...
militarism in Austria-Hungary in WWI1/4/2008
  Q: Hey!! So, I already sent you another question about this but in a group project for history we have ...
  A: The Austrian-Hungarian Empire rise of militarism began back against Napoleon in 1804, then as a ...
Austria-Hungary in WWI1/4/2008
  Q: How did each side appeal to discontented nationalist groups? Why could the Allies be more ...
  A: How did each side appeal to the discontented nationalist Groups? Why could the Allies be more ...
I have a question12/5/2007
  Q: Did any women serve in the army? If so, how and can you name them?
  A: Depends on what time period you're talking about. During the colonial period, especially the ...
March11/15/2007
  Q: It is well known that Napoleon marched his armies with speed that in the time period was ...
  A: The average march for an army during the American Revolution was 10-12 miles (20-24 kilometers). The ...
Mercenaries11/1/2007
  Q: Is there a history of mercenary use in the U.S. armed forces? I can only think of one example, that ...
  A: Good Question. While most do know of the Flying Tigers as a mercenary group, it is not the only ...
British uniforms and insignia circa 1776-179110/28/2007
  Q: I am attempting to research the various facing colors on British officers coats as well as the style ...
  A: These are the sources I use: Edward Curtis: The Organization of the British Army in the American ...
Stages of Empire10/27/2007
  Q: During our lunch conversation at work last week the topic turned to history along with the present ...
  A: I would have to say you have me there. That's the first I have ever heard of the seven phases of ...
Napoleon's Wars10/17/2007
  Q: Did they have exploding cannon balls during the time of Napoleon?
  A: Depending on what you mean by exploding cannon balls. The standard battery used by most of the ...
Battle of Waterloo, Hougoumont8/8/2007
  Q: Would you say that the defense of Hougoumont was key to Wellingtons victory and if so why? Thank you ...
  A: While I personally don't believe Wellington actually planned using Hougoumont as a key piece of his ...
medieval Japan8/7/2007
  Q: I want to write a fictional story that takes place in medieval Japan with a fantasy edge to it that ...
  A: I would recommend the Sengoku Period (1477-1576), known as the Age of the Country at War. Basically, ...
WWII standard issue rifle7/29/2007
  Q: I am in possession of a WWII standard issue rifle that belonged to my father, as well as his ...
  A: I am assuming you have an M1 Grand Rifle? My only suggestion is to research via Google for WWII ...
Battle of Waterloo5/30/2007
  Q: I'm currently studying history in the IB diploma with a view to taking war studies at uni. I was ...
  A: There are varying details you can address from the British point of view. How about experience of ...
WW1 Austria-Hungary5/25/2007
  Q: If you could give me an example of a common or well known Infantry Regiment(its name full name) and ...
  A: Have you looked at the Osprey series of books? Look at MAA-392: The Austrian-Hungarian Forces in WW1 ...

All Questions in This Category

Military History

Erick Nason

Top Expert on this page