Military History/Questions Answered by Expert John Vargas

SubjectDate Asked
US badge silver with 2 stars1/10/2015
  Q: I got my first enamel us badge silver with 2 stars, so can you tell me all about it please? I have ...
  A: Congratulation on your first US Badge, you got a nice one! This is called a Combat Infantryman's ...
L-4 Liaison Planes1/10/2015
  Q: Vargas, I'm wondering if you can help me identify the Army Air Force unit that supported my ...
  A: Yes, the Liaison Plane in the photos is an L-4 Grasshopper, the militarized version of the J-3 Piper ...
US badge silver with 2 stars1/10/2015
ladder bars, 250, 750, & 2000 hours9/4/2012
  Q: am attaching a photo of the subject bars. i assume aac for the number of flight hours in a specific ...
  A: These “Hour Bars” were awarded by the Army Air Force to those who were involved with the Aircraft ...
Unknown Wing3/6/2012
  Q: I have a some wings and was wondering what they really are. They are a small pair and have an anchor ...
  A: Sounds like you have a set of WWII Era United States Navy Air Crew Badge. Here is more ...
WWII WAC WAAF Flight Engineer3/3/2012
  Q: I am trying to find out more about something I recived as a question "...Interesting case of a WAC ...
  A: Yes, you are indeed correct there was one woman who was qualified and rated as a USAAF Flight ...
Dial, 489th AAA3/2/2012
  Q: I am looking for any details avaulable for cause of death for : Thomas F Dial, 1Lt, SN 01050633, SC, ...
  A: You can contact the Richland County, South Carolina Veterans Affairs Officer, the internet states I ...
Medals and badges12/18/2011
  Q: I sent you this before, but I lost the information, can you tell me what is on the board? LB
  A: This is what is on this board. 1. China Burma India Patch ...
my father in the 101st airborne10/29/2010
  Q: So my dad was a cook , headquarters gilder infantry , normandy, ardennes Rhienelad etcWhat was ...
  A: I did a Google search for John Granias and 101st Airborne WWII. This is all I could find. ...
War Animals10/25/2010
  Q: Mr. Vargas What was the most widely used animal for war in World War One and World War Two? Thanks ...
  A: The mostly widely used animal used in warfare thought the history of mankind has been the War Horse, ...
201 Mexican Squadron MEAF ww ll10/21/2010
  Q: 1- Did Mexican Squadron 201 use CBI insignia at anytime? These question is because a have a ...
  A: The 201st Air Fighter Squadron nicknamed “Aztec Eagles” (Escuadrón Aéreo de Pelea 201), was attached ...
AAF insignia question10/19/2010
  Q: John, Trying to find out what insignia my father would have worn in order to put together a shadow ...
  A: I am glad I could be of assistance to you. Garden City Army Air Field, was under the command of ...
WWII Army bases in United States10/18/2010
  Q: My step-dad was in the Army during WWII and we were with him part of the time in the states. Can ...
  A: Dot, The Army Camp located in Tullahoma, Tennessee, during WWII was Camp Forest. Here is the ...
Liason Pilots10/14/2010
  Q: Where there non officer liason pilots in WWII?
  A: Yes, there were Enlisted Men who were Liaison Pilots in WWII. The fact of the matter is that most ...
Identufying a symbol on and military crest...10/13/2010
  Q: A friend of mine, visiting parents in their new house in N.Carolina, called and with the following: ...
  A: During the Civil War, the symbol for Infantry (Union) was an Infantry Horn, the "Bugle or Infantry ...
Military Patches10/10/2010
  Q: I ran across a ‘treasurer box’ I had as a kid in the late 40’s and early 50’s. Inside I found two ...
  A: The three patches that you have are indeed military. They are officially called Shoulder Sleeve ...
Unauthorized Army Combat Badges10/5/2010
  Q: What unauthorized army badges do you know were worn in WWII to Korea, that were authorized for wear? ...
  A: There are several Combat Badges, that are “Official, but Unauthorized” by the US Army so to speak, ...
ID of WWII Infantry Badges10/4/2010
  Q: The attached pic shows WWII Infantry badges--two Combat Infantry, two Enlisted Infantry (I think) ...
  A: The one Combat Infantryman’s Badge (C.I.B.) has a flaw on the blue enamel paint, the flaw appears to ...
Base camps9/30/2010
  Q: I am transcribing my dad's diary from WWII and am wanting to know where his base camps were. He was ...
  A: These “Base Camps”, that your Father talked about, were actually US Army Air Force Engineer Camps, ...
Army MOS9/29/2010
  Q: when i returned from nam in 66, I had a secondary MOS of 859.128 Blaster. I was a combat eng that ...
  A: By searching all the U.S. Army MOS Codes, for you, I did not find an Army MOS Code of “MOS of ...
Army and Navy plane differences9/26/2010
  Q: How to you tell the difference between Army and Navy planes that pre World War II? I heard that the ...
  A: You are correct, prior to WWII; the Air Craft Tail Markings (paint scheme) are what set the US Army ...
Southern Phillipines campaign WWII9/22/2010
  Q: I'm trying to gather information on my Grandfather's service in WWII. He never talked about it much ...
  A: Here is the translation of your Grandfather Service in WWII, from his Enlisted Record And Report of ...
Airplane Question9/21/2010
  Q: John: My son wants to know how many P-28 Lightening are available to fly, and where he can get a ...
  A: There are currently six (6) known Lockheed P-38 Lightning’s that are still flying today. None of ...
WWII Bomber Flight Crews9/11/2010
  Q: How many bomber flight crews completed their 25 missions to go home?
  A: The answer is still a mystery today and the subject of many debates and arguments among aviation ...
military foot locker9/9/2010
  Q: I was recently given what I thought was just an old trunk. Honestly, I just thought it looked cool. ...
  A: What you have is a WWI US Officer Type Private Purchase Footlocker. Here are some footlockers that ...
WW1 Dog Tags9/8/2010
  Q: My wife's grandfather was in WW1 in the 82nd Div. 327th Reg. Company C. His dog tags are hand ...
  A: There are many reasons that the information could have been removed, and it was common (I have ...
How do I find out what happened to someone in the Military?9/7/2010
  Q: I have recently found a friend of the family, who was in the military (23 March 1942). His ...
  A: Here is the information that I could get from the information you have sent me. Mariano S. Malapit ...
Army Air Corps Gold Aviator's Ring9/2/2010
  Q: Mr. Vargas, I am trying to identify a ring my grandmother gave me 40 years ago when I joined the Air ...
  A: You have a very nice ring, and it was a wonderful gift from your Mother, they are rare, as I have ...
Military Hat Insignia8/29/2010
  Q: John, My Wife and I have come across a picture of my father-in-law that has evaded our searches. Can ...
  A: The uniform that your Father-in-Law is wearing is the uniform of the San Rafael Military Academy ...
WW1 Army patch W/Aero roundel8/26/2010
  Q: There is this above patch A W/the aero roundel described as "liberty Loan Patch". What does "liberty ...
  A: It is good to hear from you again, I hope that all is well. Liberty Loan Patches were ...
Army MOS8/24/2010
  Q: My wifes' ex-husband who passed away in 1976 was in the Army for 5 years from 1940 to 1945. We are ...
  A: Military Occupational Classification of Enlisted Personnel, or as it is commonly known, as Military ...
WWII my dad in Norway8/12/2010
  Q: I've recently been researching my late father's service in WWII. His name was Lawrence E. Collier ...
  A: This is the translation of your Fathers discharge. He went into the Army on August 20th 1943, he ...
Wings Insignia8/10/2010
  Q: What kind of insignia is this? This was in mt grandfathers stuff.
  A: This is a WWII US Army Navigators Wing Badge (officially called a Navigators Aeronautical Rating), ...
placement of horses feet1/9/2010
  Q: John: What significance does the placement of horses feet mean on military statues? Thanks, Keith
  A: The placement of horse’s feet (often called the “Hoof Code”), or how they are placed for military ...
100th Aero Squadron A.E.F. demobilization1/4/2010
  Q: I seek the date that the 100th Aero Squadron (2nd Day Bombardment Group) shipped out and returned ...
  A: The 100th Aero Squadron’s Date of Return (shipped out) to the United States was May 31st, 1919 ...
Identity of WW1 U.S. pilot wing marked ARA12/28/2009
  Q: I recently acquired a WW1 style wing that I have been trying to identify. The wing looks like the ...
  A: To be quite honest with you, I personally, have never seen an ARA wing, nor have I heard of one. In ...
Army Air Force Technician Badge from WWII11/19/2009
  Q: Vargas, Where can I purchase and original or replica of the WWII Army AF Technician Badge so that I ...
  A: It is nice to hear that you are creating a Shadow Box for your Father. The best place to purchase ...
Parade Images11/19/2009
  Q: I am a University student from England and I was wondering if you could help me with some of my ...
  A: The photos that you have are of the Inaugural Parade of President Franklin D. Roosevelt, which took ...
Completed 25 Missions11/15/2009
  Q: What awards would a turret gunner on a B-17 be entitled to for completeing his 25 missions over ...
  A: The Turret Gunner in question should have received two medals for completing his 25th Mission. ...
Bar and Cross11/11/2009
  Q: Can you identify this bar and cross? It is Army and I believe it is after Basic but before being ...
  A: I am more than happy to assist you. The Cross and Bar is Officially Called a “Weapons ...
Military dagger11/9/2009
  Q: I have an old Military dagger & scabbard that has U.S. 1918 & under that it has L.F & C 1918. Can ...
  A: “L.F. & C.” stands for Landers, Frary & Clark Company they were located in New Britan, Connecticut. ...
WW II10/13/2009
  Q: I'm building a military shadow box for a WWII veteran and need input on ribbons and medals. He ...
  A: Let me say this, you did some good work! You did an excellent job, putting this information ...
uknown badge9/27/2009
  Q: John, Can you tell me hat is this? Jerome
  A: The badge that you have is officially called a Distinctive Unit Insignia, commonly called a D.U.I. ...
Help with my dads discharge9/22/2009
  Q: John, If you don’t mind I would like your help translating my dads army discharge. Thanks for your ...
  A: I am more than happy to help you with your Dads Army Discharge Papers. Here is a brief synopsis of ...
WWII pin9/22/2009
  Q: My brother and I hope you can identify a pin that was among our father's WWII items. The front has a ...
  A: The pin that you have is the Coat of Arms, or Badge for the Livermore Family (from the United ...
WWII AEF 107th SMALL PIN OR BADGE8/22/2009
  Q: I will attach a photo or photos if your site allows me. It has a threaded post on back with a nut. ...
  A: I enjoyed my vacation very much, thank you for asking. What you have is a Lapel Pin for someone who ...
D.U.I.-Unit Crest7/23/2009
  Q: In the endeavor to complete my late mothers quest to research my father's WWII service and replace ...
  A: Here are the Distinctive Unit Insignia for the 198th Field Artillery Battalion. ...
489th AAA Bn7/20/2009
  Q: My uncle served as a driver of a Quad 50 Half Track. His name was Roy Gordner. He was killed in ...
  A: Your Uncle Roy E. Gordner did indeed serve with the 489th Anti-Aircraft Artillery (Automatic ...
603 Bombardment Squadron WWII7/19/2009
  Q: My Uncle, Frederick A.Beach was a Staff Sergent in the Army Air Force, 603 Bombardment Squadron. He ...
  A: I am sorry to hear that your Uncle was Killed in Action. He was a Brave Man. Here is your Uncle’s ...
Propeller Badge7/18/2009
  Q: Can you identify this badge? I'm not even sure if it is military. It was among some U.S./Filipino ...
  A: This is indeed a Military Badge, and it is a United States Qualification Badge used in WWII and the ...
Where can I find information?7/17/2009
  Q: I have been slowly peicing together my grandfather's military record and I discovered yesterday that ...
  A: The Presidential Citation you are referring to, is actually called the Presidential Unit Citation, ...
Air Force Navigator Pin7/17/2009
  Q: I bought from an estate sale a Sterling Air Force Navigator pin. It looks almost like your pin with ...
  A: You have a vey nice Navigators Wing Badge. This is an original N.S. Meyer Inc., US Army Air Force ...
American Pilots in WWI6/17/2009
  Q: The film 'Pearl Harbour' has been criticized for historical inaccuracies, some regarding American ...
  A: Very good question. The number of Americans that flew with the RAF was very limited, around 250 ...
WW11 ensignia identification6/16/2009
  Q: Both my parents served in the army in WW11.I have an army ensignia I cannot id.It might be a unit ...
  A: What you have is called a Distinctive Unit Insignia. Commonly called a DUI, or DI. ...
Navy non combat deaths5/16/2009
  Q: John: I know this inst your specialty, but it seems from what I read, you really do help. Is there ...
  A: Here is the information I was able to obtain from the Department of the Navy: DEPARTMENT OF THE ...
Ring5/10/2009
  Q: We recently acquired a ring which has a gold colored "aircrew" style insignia which goes from the ...
  A: The ring you have is more than likely a custom one of a kind Army Air Corps /Army Air Forces Ring. ...
Thank You5/8/2009
  Q: Mr.Vargas, Thank You for your answers. The information you gave me was the missing piece of my ...
  A: I am glad I could be of assistance to you. In addition, I am glad that it was the information you ...
508 Airborne in WWII5/3/2009
  Q: Do you know where I can get copies general orders, reports, and general combat information from the ...
  A: I would contact the 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment Association (WWII). They currently have most ...
AAF Air Fields4/22/2009
  Q: can you provide me with a list of all the World War 2 Army Air Fields? Thanks for you time! Todd
  A: There is no real list on the internet per say that has 100% of all the USAAF Fields, Bases, Depots, ...
Emblem of the infantry3/22/2009
  Q: When did the U.S. Army Infantry change from the horn to the rifles as their emblem? Thank you for ...
  A: The US Army’s Infantry Branch Insignia changed from the Horn to the Crossed Rifles during the Indian ...
Reading a Headstone3/20/2009
  Q: I came across my Great-Great-Uncles headstone with a sentence/statement on it I cannot interpret. ...
  A: It sounds like your Great-Great-Uncles Headstone has weathered and deteriorated over the years. ...
Helicopter Question3/19/2009
  Q: John, Were helicopters used in WWII? Thank you… Jeremy
  A: Yes, helicopters were used in WWII. The first truly practical helicopter (fully controllable) was ...
army air service memorabilia3/18/2009
  Q: I just recently have a chance to purchase this banner / cloth and wanted to know if you have seen ...
  A: I have never seen one like this one before. I have seen some that are similar. This is an ...
Balloonatics3/18/2009
  Q: John, we just had boxes of memorabilia from Howard K. Smith's personal effects donated to our ...
  A: I looked in “Gorrell's History of the American Expeditionary Forces Air Service, 1917-1919”, and ...
WW2 Airplane3/18/2009
  Q: What is the fast most technological airplane of World War Two?
  A: During WWII, in the beginning there were only propeller driven aircraft, but by the end of the war, ...
feudal system of Europe3/17/2009
  Q: Can you help me with my school paper about the feudal system of Europe? Thank you, Emily
  A: I would be more than happy to help you get some good information for your paper. Here is a brief ...
Senior Service Pilot Wings3/12/2009
  Q: John, quick question about Senior Service Pilot Wings. Anyone earn them in WW2?
  A: Yes, I am sure that someone qualified and wore a Senior Service Pilot Wing in WWII, since the rating ...
Army Fireman from WW1 & WW22/19/2009
  Q: I am trying to find out any information about WW1 & WW2 Fireman. Can you help me with some ...
  A: During World War I, the US Army Quartermaster Corps did most of the Firefighting for the Army, and ...
army wings2/18/2009
  Q: I found this old army wing, I don’t have a camera, but I can tell you what they are like. They look ...
  A: This Badge is called a Senior Aircraft Observer Wing Badge. This is what your wing should look ...
Canvas Bombardment & Fighter Patches2/6/2009
  Q: I have some bomber patches that were found in a scrap book. I am writing to see if you happen to ...
  A: I just received this question this morning (February 12th, 2009) as it was in the “Answer Pool”, and ...
My Grandfathers WWII MP Units12/9/2008
  Q: Mr. Vargas, I read your response to a question about an MP co and am hoping you can provide ...
  A: The 552nd Military Police Escort Guard Company (552nd MPEG) was organized and activated on June ...
American Service Medal?12/4/2008
  Q: Mr. Vargas, I am putting together a shadow box for my dad. The only question i had is on his dad's ...
  A: There is a medal called the American Defense Service Medal, as well as the American Campaign Medal. ...
WWII Army Pin12/2/2008
  Q: My name is Kevin Sorenson. I recently acquired some of my fathers WWII Army records from my Mother ...
  A: The Pins that you have are called Distinctive Unit Insignia (D.U.I, or D.I.), and yours is the ...
Pre-WWII US Army officers breeches11/29/2008
  Q: John, I have a flawless M1926 US Army officers blouse, and I need to know more about the two kinds ...
  A: The regulations that govern the M1926 uniform can be found in Army Regulations (AR) 600-35, 1926 and ...
Air Crew, WW II11/29/2008
  Q: My good friend on our Legion Ritual team was a Radio Operator on a C-47 in the 45th Troop Carrier ...
  A: Here is a photo of a WWII Aircrew Member Wing Badge I took for you. ...
Tiffany stamped pin11/27/2008
  Q: I have a pin that I would like to know more about. I believe that it belonged to my husband's step ...
  A: What you have is called a “Winged Prop”, short for Winged Propeller. Yours is World War One Era. ...
46th Ferrying/Transportation Sq Emblem11/26/2008
  Q: John, Do you have access to copies of the emblems of the 46th Ferrying Squadron, Wadi Seidna, ...
  A: Here the Squadrons that had their own Patches/Squadron Insignia. 1. 2nd Ferrying 2. 11th Ferrying ...
WWI question11/25/2008
  Q: What fighter pilot had the most kills in WW1?
  A: World War Ones Top Ace (most kills, sometimes called Aerial Victories) was Manfred von Richthofen, ...
WW! Aviation Unit11/24/2008
  Q: My Dad, Clarence Benedict Thomas was in the 18th Co. 4th Bn. 3rd MM Regt, Air Services in France ...
  A: The 18th Co. 4th Bn. 3rd MM Regt stands for the 18th Company 4th Battalion, 3rd Motor Mechanics ...
army pin11/24/2008
  Q: I have an old army pin. I can’t find it maybe you can help. I don’t have a photo of it, I can try ...
  A: What you have is called a Distinctive Unit Insignia (D.U.I, or D.I). Here is the history of the ...
Red Missile Insignia Pin11/20/2008
  Q: This pin says NS Meyers New York with a mark I can't make out on reverse; sturdy screw back; the ...
WW II pin11/18/2008
  Q: My grandfather was a paratrooper who served in the pacific theater. Among the possessions he brought ...
  A: It sounds like your Grandfather was an Airborne Engineer. The Collar Disk you are describing is ...
B17 question11/16/2008
  Q: How many members were on B17? What did they do? Thanks in advance, Misty
  A: A B-17 carried a Crew of 10 personnel to operate it in combat. Here is a list of the Crewmembers ...
American General11/16/2008
  Q: Who is the highest ranking general ever for America? Thanks!
  A: The Most Senior General Officer for the United States is General George Washington; he holds the ...
"Rank" patch found on CCC shirt11/14/2008
  Q: My late father's CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) footlocker contains 4 long sleeve woolen shirts; ...
  A: This is a real Civilian Conservation Corps Specialty Chevron Insignia, specifically made for the ...
WWII Navy red stripe on sleeve11/14/2008
  Q: What does it mean when there is a long diagonal red stripe on the left sleeve at about the forearm ...
  A: The “diagonal red stripe on the left sleeve” of a Navy Enlisted Sailors uniform is called a “Service ...
Requesting help identifying Army insignia11/14/2008
  Q: Vargas, I'm hoping you can help me identify some WWII Army insignia. Unfortunately I no longer have ...
  A: You are correct in your identification of your Fathers insignia. Your father is wearing the “Eagle ...
WWII Bicycle11/12/2008
  Q: Was there such a thing as an paratroopers bicycle?
  A: During WWII there was a Bicycle that was specifically made for the Allied Airborne. Most were used ...
WWII Navy rank11/12/2008
  Q: What would the sleeve insignia of a Pharamacist's Mate 2c V6 USNR look like.
  A: Here is what a Pharmacist Mate 2nd Class (Pharmacist's Mate 2c) Rate (rank) looks like. I included ...
pin id help11/9/2008
  Q: Can you identify this pin? My father was in the Army. Thanks Adrian
  A: What you have is a Navy Nurse Corps Insignia Device, which was worn on the Caps and Collars of ...
Irving Hake Stenson11/7/2008
  Q: I have a flag that was draped on my great-uncles's casket at his funeral at the Chelsea,MA Armory.He ...
  A: The only Irving Stenson I have is an Irving C. Stenson who was born in Chelsea, MA, and was the ...
phone11/6/2008
  Q: John, Please call me or e-mail. My comp did a trick and lost all e-mail from 24 Oct to 4 Nov. If you ...
  A: Jim, I am sorry to hear this! I will respond to your request! ...
wings question11/6/2008
  Q: I have a wings pin about 3” long with an atom in the center of it. They came of an old army ...
  A: It appears that you have what we call a US Army Air Force Navigators wing. Here is a photo that ...
My fathers military unit11/6/2008
  Q: My father passed away many years ago and was not able to find out much about his military unit. It ...
  A: Here is what Information that I have your Fathers Unit the 905th Field Artillery Battalion. Prior ...
B17 Aircrew11/5/2008
  Q: My father served in the USAAF during WWII. I have his Separation paper and other info. All of the ...
  A: It was common for ground crew / maintenance personnel to actually participate in B-17 Aerial ...
Badge11/4/2008
  Q: What is this badge? I have tried to look, but I can’t find it. Thank you, Kathleen
  A: What you have is called a US Army Branch of Arms Insignia for an Infantry Officer. This is a ...
russian headgear11/2/2008
  Q: John, I know your vast expertise seems to be in US Military history, but can you point me in the ...
  A: I would be more than happy to point you in the right direction to find out more about your ...
Piper L-411/1/2008
  Q: I'm helping a friend restore a Piper L-4.Believe it was used in the Ryukyus Command, paper work very ...
  A: I am more than willing to assist you and your friend in trying to find out the history of your L-4. ...
DI pin10/30/2008
  Q: I just bought a WW2 US service cap and it has on it this pin. I was told it's a unit DI pin of 71st ...
  A: The Distinctive Unit Insignia that you have is from the 39th Infantry Regiment. The 39th Infantry ...
WWI Era Foreign Award10/30/2008
  Q: I am trying to identify a cased medal with ribbon to be hung around the neck. The ribbon is red with ...
  A: The Medal you have is officially called the “Cross of Order of the Crown of Italy”. It was founded ...
unknown wings pin10/29/2008
  Q: I have this wings pin, I found in a box. I would like to know more about it. Thanks for your help.
  A: What you have is a WWI Son-In Service Pin for the Army Air Service. A “Son-in-Service” Pin, was ...
WW1 pin10/29/2008
  Q: This pin is from my grandfathers WW1 uniform. I have not been able to find any information on it ...
  A: The pin that you have is officially called a Distinctive Unit Insignia, commonly called a D.U.I. or ...
grandfathers army badge10/25/2008
  Q: These were in my granfathers army things. We tried to find them on the net without any luck. There ...
  A: What you found in your Grandfathers Army items is commonly called the Army Officers Unassigned ...
WW 2 Quartermasters10/24/2008
  Q: I'm trying to find out more information on my uncle, Joseph Henry Frank Jr. who served as a ...
  A: The date your Uncle was killed April 28th, 1944, coincides with the date of Operation / Exercise ...
eye and r platoon10/20/2008
  Q: I was watching the History Channel, and they mention an eye and r platoon. They didn’t explain what ...
  A: An “eye and r platoon”, is actually an I & R Platoon, which is short for an Intelligence and ...
1st Allied Airborne and MPs10/19/2008
  Q: My father was an Army MP(677)in the 713th MP BN and in the ETO in WW2. He had been in 4 campaigns ...
  A: The 713th MP Battalion was part of the First Army, and attached to the Headquarters of the First ...
questions about my grandfathers company/unit10/19/2008
  Q: my grandfather was in CO A 82ND QM BN LM what can u tell me about this co.I am wondering if it has ...
  A: CO A 82ND QM BN LM, stands for A Company 82nd Quartermaster Battalion (Light Maintenance). A Co., ...
Brothers Army Badge10/17/2008
  Q: Vargas, We recently found my brothers items from Vietnam in the lot of items was this badge, with ...
  A: The badge that you have is officially called the Pathfinder Badge; it is awarded to those who ...
dads wwii army insigna10/16/2008
  Q: I found this insignia in my dads WWII army box. I can’t seem to find out what it is, and I looked ...
  A: The Insignia that you found in your Fathers WWII box is the Woman’s Army Corps female officer ...
My Grandfathers lapel insignia10/16/2008
  Q: you just recently helped me with my father-in-law James M. Butler's shoulder patch...thank you. ...
  A: It was a pleasure to help you. The “Unknown Lapel Insignia” is officially called a Distinctive ...
World War 210/8/2008
  Q: My father served in World War 2 and like most veterans he rarely talked about his war time ...
  A: There is very little information on the web pertaining to the 3599th QM Truck Company. However, I ...
military pin10/7/2008
  Q: I recently found these pins in a box and I believe were a relative pins but I am unable to find out ...
  A: What you have is World War One United States Army Collar Insignia. The U.S.R. stands for United ...
WTS Relationship to Army Air Core10/7/2008
  Q: My father was a WTS instructor from 1942 through 1944, in the Dallas, TX area. I've read quite a ...
  A: You are absolutely correct. The CAA-WTS Instructors, such as your Father were Civilian Contractors ...
43rd Infantry div. WW2, Luzon campaign10/6/2008
  Q: My father was in the 43rd Infantry division Luzon campaign. He arrived there 20 Feb.1945 and was ...
  A: During WWII, the Combat Infantryman’s Badge was an Individual Award, not a Unit Award. What this ...
WW1 US Army collar insignia,brass10/4/2008
  Q: I have a WW1 uniform in excellent condition that belonged to a Clifford Dewey Koch enlisted in May ...
  A: The Enlisted Collar Disk on the right with the US over the 21 stands for the 21st Machine Gun ...
US Army insignia9/30/2008
  Q: The attached photo of my great grandfather dates from 1920. I think he might have been an Army Field ...
  A: The photo shows that your Grandfather is wearing the Army Field Clerk, Quartermaster Corps (Field ...
809 AAF Base Unit9/29/2008
  Q: I have my father's discharge papers from WWII. I am trying to find info on the 809 AAF Base Unit. ...
  A: The 809th Army Air Force Base Unit was assigned to Blytheville Army Airfield, from June 16th, 1945 ...
Kelly Field WWI9/28/2008
  Q: I have always wanted to find out more information about my grandfathers WW1 military experience at ...
  A: I found your Grandfather, Capt. Marr, William M., listed in my book of WWI Aviators, and I ...
army insignia9/27/2008
  Q: I have been trying for find out what this insignia is. It was in an old family members box. Can you ...
  A: The US Army Badge that you have is called the “Original Air Assault Badge”. It is a badge that was ...
Question from reader9/26/2008
  Q: John... Since you are the patch expert on the board, may I send you a question/my answer to Sherrie ...
  A: I would be more than glad to help. If you can send me the photo that would be great. I tried to ...
military buttons9/23/2008
  Q: John, You have helped me in the past with a military pin, and now I have some buttons that I cannot ...
  A: Good to hear from you. Yes, you can email me the photos of the buttons, and I will try to identity ...
Brothers badges9/22/2008
  Q: I'm going thru my brothers old military stuff and came across two pins I don't recognize. One is a ...
  A: The Jump Wing with the Star on Top is called a Senior Parachutists Badge, or “Senior Jump Wing” as ...
987th Field Artillery Battalions-Battery B9/22/2008
  Q: Well I could not find a place to give a good comment on what you found for me. Thanks for taking ...
  A: It was my pleasure. I only wish I could provide you with more information on B Battery, 987th Field ...
WW2 USAF Officers Uniform and Insignia9/20/2008
  Q: I was hoping you could help me. I am trying to research the above. There seems to be very ...
  A: I am sure that we can sort this out for you and help you understand how WWII Uniforms were worn. ...
WWII US Army Medals and Pins9/19/2008
  Q: I have been reviewing my recently deseased father's medals from WWII. He earned two Purple Hearts. ...
  A: I am sorry to hear about the loss of your Father. What you have is the Distinctive Unit Insignia ...
About ww1 and ww29/16/2008
  Q: How did the fighter planes effect the US during ww1, ww2, and the war now?
  A: The easiest way to answer this question is to say “technology”. The result of WWI, and WWII ...
U.S. Army's 31 st Combat Engineer Battalion9/6/2008
  Q: Can you tell me when the 31 st Combat Engineer Battalion was formed, how long it was active, and ...
  A: The 31st Engineer Battalion was formed, and activated on July 1st 1940, as the 31st Engineer Company ...
Japanese Surrender Document9/4/2008
  Q: My father worked for Macarthur at the time of the signing aboard the Missouri. He was directed to ...
  A: Your Father was a very lucky man. Here are local ephemera dealers and collectors in your area. One ...
Army AAC and AAF9/4/2008
  Q: What is the difference between the AAC, and the AAF?
  A: The AAC and the AAF are the same. The Army Air Crops (AAC) was renamed from the Army Air Service ...
WWII9/3/2008
  Q: Mr. Vargas, In going thru my fathers pictures and papers from WWII we found reference to APO 75 and ...
  A: APO means Army Post Office. APO 75, was located in Nielson Field, Manila, in the Philippine ...
Unauthorized AAC Chevrons9/1/2008
  Q: Did the 6 unauthorized AAC Pfc-Spec 1 thru Spec 6 chevrons have the winged prop on them? and were ...
  A: Yes the unauthorized versions of "Private 1st Class, Specialist 6th Class" to "Private 1st Class, ...
Military Patches9/1/2008
  Q: John... I am a fellow expert in infantry ops on this board. For some reason people ask me about ...
  A: I am more than glad to help. The only thing that can come close to that description is US Navy ...
506 Military Police Battalion8/31/2008
  Q: A family member who was in the 506 Military Police Battalion. I can’t find any information about ...
  A: Here is the history of the 506th Military Police Battalion. I was able to locate and call one of ...
315 Engineers, World War I8/28/2008
  Q: My father's discharge papers from World War One read that he was a cook in "E", 315 Eng.; battles ...
  A: The 315th Engineer Battalion was a “Special Troops” Battalion; therefore, it was a unit on its own. ...
Id'ing Military Unit8/24/2008
  Q: I know you are an expert in Aviation, but this questions is about a ground unit with the Army. My ...
  A: The 297th Ordnance Heavy Maintenance Company was a unit on its own. It was attached to the Third ...
Silver Creamer8/22/2008
  Q: I have a small silver creamer with AC and wings engraved on the side of it. The stamp on the bottom ...
  A: Very Nice Creamer. I am sure that this creamer is WWII Period. The A.C. inside the stylized wings ...
812 Aero Rep Sq and 237 Aero Sq8/20/2008
  Q: My father was in WW1 and he had told some stories but not very clear. Now that he is gone I am ...
  A: The 812th Aero Squadron and the 237th Aero Squadron, were two of the many “Home Training” Squadrons, ...
WWI Veteran Rank8/19/2008
  Q: I am trying to learn the rank of my Grandfather when he was discharged from the army. His name is ...
  A: You are correct in reading that the Co A 5th Fld Bat. S.C. A.E.F. France, is the 5th Field ...
militaty canteen8/16/2008
  Q: I recently bought a canteen at auction and by doing a little research am more confused than when I ...
  A: It sounds like you have a standard issue M1885 Mounted Canteen (commonly called a Cavalry Canteen) ...
USAAF Badges8/11/2008
  Q: I'm making up a shadow box with my Dad's WW2 ribbons,Squadron patch,ect. On his discharge papers it ...
  A: It is nice to see family members preserving history. "SS carbine,1cl gunner, aviation badge", means ...
Continental Marines8/7/2008
  Q: After signing on at Tun's Tavern, and before sailing off in January 1776, what did the Continental ...
  A: I just found this question in the question pool several minutes ago. You did not as me, nor was it ...
WWII US Military Dress Uniforms8/7/2008
  Q: Your specialty of aviation may not help in answering my question, but your knowledge of badges just ...
  A: Yes, the Army, and the Navy, and the Marines had what was called Special Evening Dress Uniforms, ...
Help identifying branch of military 1917-19197/30/2008
  Q: I am doing a family genealogy and found this information on Ancestry.com under the "Maryland in the ...
  A: Your Great Uncle George Zarbs, volunteered for the US Army, as that is what the RA stands for, it ...
WWII Japanese surrender document7/26/2008
  Q: My late grandfather was one of Douglas MacArthur's staff generals (G-2) and was aboard the U.S.S. ...
  A: The Original Japanese Instrument of Surrender Documents are located at the National Archives in ...
WWI US Army Air Corp Swagger Stick7/23/2008
  Q: I was given a US Army Air Corp swagger stick by the original owner (Woody Woodyatt). I am wondering ...
  A: A “Swagger Stick” was a short cane (tucked under the arm) used by Non Commissioned Officers (NCOs’), ...
Info on a WWI Aero Sq7/22/2008
  Q: I recently found an ancestors grave and was wanting to see what information I could find out on his ...
  A: The 612th Aero Squadron, was one many “Home Training” Squadrons, that was part of the Aviation ...
WW1 button on collar7/19/2008
  Q: I have a picture of a WW1 serviceman. On the collar is a button that has 123 then a big X and a ...
  A: I would be more than happy to help. Is there any way you can send me a clear photo of scan of the ...
US Army Air Corp Silver Tiffany Wings Pin With Gold US on center front7/18/2008
  Q: I just received a pin, Sterling Silver wings, very detailed with gold U S raised on top of center of ...
  A: Is there any way you could send clear photo/scan of the front and back? The reason I am asking is ...
Badge and Insignia7/13/2008
  Q: What is the difference between insignia, and a badge? I was told they weren’t the same.
  A: Good question. Badges and Insignia are completely different in Military Terms. The definition of ...
169th Aero Squadron7/11/2008
  Q: We have received a WWI uniform as a donation to the Denton County Museums. The uniform belonged to ...
  A: Unfortunately, the 169th Aero Squadron did not go Overseas and therefore did not see any ...
216 Aero Sq.7/8/2008
  Q: My father, Edward H.McCormack,was in the Army Air Corp.from Dec. 1917 to Dec. 1918. I had been told ...
  A: Unfortunately, there is not much information on the 216th Aero Squadron. For the era, if they did ...
683rd Aero Squadron7/5/2008
  Q: I recently found a grave for SFC Charles D Youngman. His headstone said he served in World War I in ...
  A: The 683rd Aero Squadron, was one of the 15 “Construction Companies”, also known as Squadrons, that ...
Badge Identification7/3/2008
  Q: Vargas: My wife presented me with a military badge believed to be from her father who served in ...
  A: Not a problem, I would be more than happy to identify the wing, The wing sounds like a civilian ...
306 Field Signal Bn. , WWI6/26/2008
  Q: My father, Private Wiley Thomas Shingleton, was in the above unit (Company A)in France from July 3, ...
  A: The 306th Field Signal Battalion was pat of the 81st Infantry Division, 9th Corps, First Army A.E.F. ...
Insignias6/25/2008
  Q: John, I was wondering if you might be able to help me find the insignia of the 489th AAA Auto ...
  A: I am sorry to hear of your Grandfather passing. "Here is a brief history of 489th Anti-Aircraft ...
cot and flags6/24/2008
  Q: one of our offices is in Selma, Ca. it was built in 1889. i went down in the basement last week ...
  A: David, Not at all a problem, I would be happy to look at them and I will do my best to date them. ...
CCC and military insignia 1933-19416/21/2008
  Q: I'm researching the Civilian Conservation Corps for programming in our state parks, and one thing ...
  A: Good Question, it took me a while to find some helpful information for you, and to pull out the best ...
MP Co. U.S.Army WW2 Egypt6/20/2008
  Q: My uncle was in the 128th MP Co. in North Africa 1942-1946 I can't find anything about them but I ...
  A: I searched the net, and I couldn’t find any history to the 128th MP Company during WWII. I also ...
WWI6/18/2008
  Q: John, My father served in France in World War I. His dates of service were From: August 14, ...
  A: There is not much information on the 424th Telegraph Railway Battalion, on the interment. The Unit ...
WWII Military Police Battalion6/17/2008
  Q: I have an Uncle (Domingo Trevino) who was assigned to Co. C, 512 MP Bn, APO 483 c/o P.M. New York, ...
  A: Good question. The 512th Military Police Battalion was based in Europe during WWII. Very little is ...
World War 2 aircraft6/12/2008
  Q: I came across a site that is dedicated to the P 51 Mustang. It even featured an old video of an ...
  A: This is a subject amongst aviation historians that could be argued for years, as to what was/is the ...
military pin6/9/2008
  Q: I HAVE FOUND THIS PIN, IT LOOKS LIKE A "LIFESAVER" FLOATING RING FROM A SHIP. IT MEASURES APPROX. 1" ...
  A: From the sounds of it, it sounds like you have the First Pattern Squadron Pin for the 32nd ...
483 aero squadron6/9/2008
  Q: can you tell me where I can find information on the 483 aero squadron, such as where formed, where ...
  A: The 483rd Aero Squadron was a Construction Squadron; they were the ones who built the Hangers, and ...
WW2 terms for German Army6/7/2008
  Q: I am currently doing a directed study on the battle of Stalingrad and came across this terminology ...
  A: I just found your question in the Question Pool about 5 minutes ago, so sorry for the delay. The ...
APO 8726/4/2008
  Q: my question is that my grandfather did his basic at camp wolter in texas was shipped over seas and ...
  A: In WWII, prior 1945 APO 872 was the official US Army Post Office Designation for the area ...
Hollywood vs History4/11/2008
  Q: I'm interested in the Hollywood vs History angle. The film "300" won big at the box office so it ...
  A: Believe it or not, this is not as easy a question as you would think, and it could be the basis of ...
83rd service group AAF 19444/11/2008
  Q: I'm trying to find out details about my Dad's AAF service. Samuel T. Dalton S/N 15082722 I've got ...
  A: You are correct when you say that the 83rd Support Group was attached to the 100th Bomb Group. ...
4 star General flag3/24/2008
  Q: I have been a collector of WW1-2 military items since I was 12 (nearly 28 years) Saturday I picked ...
  A: I have been to ever website that I know of that has Military Flags. Here are just a few of the ...
336 aero squadron3/21/2008
  Q: Do you have any information on the 336 aero squadron ?I know my grandfather was in the 61st truck ...
  A: It sounds like you Grandfather had one exciting military career, first chasing Poncho Villa, and ...
A.S.A.Det.3/17/2008
  Q: My uncle Harold Maxwell was a pilot during the very final days of WW1 and his headstone has the ...
  A: Good question. The abbreviation for A.S.A. during WWI stood for Air Service, Military Aeronautics. ...
Aero "Roundel"3/11/2008
  Q: Used in WW1, what is the origin, British, French? This is the symbol for aeroplanes. Why was ...
  A: Excellent question. In order to understand why the Roundel is the way it is for Military aircraft ...
chauffeur2/26/2008
  Q: my dad was in WW1. he was in the 1st Aero Squadron. i believe he went to France. Anyway his ...
  A: The title of Chauffeur was a rank in and of itself. Here is what your fathers rank looked like. ...
Chevrons2/22/2008
  Q: I work at the valiant air command and warbird museum; a non profit charity run by volunteers ...
  A: The PFC rank as we know it, which is one chevron up, and one rocker did not become an official US ...
27th Balloon Company2/21/2008
  Q: John, do you know where I can get that photo of the 27th balloon company? My grandfather was ...
  A: In fact I do, I know the person who owns the original. If you make the question, then next one ...
Japanese Instrument of Surrender2/19/2008
  Q: I saw your answer to this question a month ago. To be more specific, in my case: My wife's mother ...
  A: In this case, the answer would be yes. They would be have more value then the ones that were made ...
650th Aero Squadron in WW12/9/2008
  Q: would my uncle have worn a 1st Division and 1st Army patch? Or any Divisional patch? He got some ...
  A: On the left shoulder, your grandfather would have worn the First Army Patch with the Aero Roundel in ...
APO 858 and APO 0232/6/2008
  Q: John, Your recent answer about a WWII APO location gives hope that you may have access to info about ...
  A: Thule AFB is still the Northern Most DOD Base for the US. http://www.thule.af.mil/ It has been ...
27th balloon co2/3/2008
  Q: have collected militaria for 58 years and daily come across something about which i have no specific ...
  A: You are correct with A.S.S.C., being the Aviation Section – Signal Corps. Here is a brief history ...
622 Aero Sq. and 660 Aero Sq.2/1/2008
  Q: I've been doing some research on my grandfather and discovered he was associated with the 622 and ...
  A: Sorry, for my delay in not getting back to you last night, it took me a while to find the book I was ...
WW II sergeants jacket1/24/2008
  Q: I am interested in constructing a memorial frame for my fathers WW II jacket, medals and ribbons. My ...
  A: It is nice to see a family member restore and display their relative uniforms and medals. Here is ...
L-4 question1/23/2008
  Q: I have a L-4 that saw service in WWII, It was shipped to Italy in July 20 1944, 12th Air Force, and ...
  A: Hey Fred, This what I wrote to the USAF, and the NASM, and both responded in kind. Now we just ...
L-41/22/2008
  Q: I am building a Piper L-4 from scratch. I want to match the paint scheme to an L-4 that was famous, ...
  A: The most famous of the L-4 Grasshoppers that flew in WWII are the ones that flew with D-Day Invasion ...
650th Aero Squadron in WW11/17/2008
  Q: My uncle was in this unit in France in WW 1. He was a Chauffeur/ Mechanic. I have his discharge ...
  A: The 650th was an Aero Supply Squadron. Meaning they did not fly anything, or operate any aircraft. ...
ww ii Sergaent Major Stripes1/14/2008
  Q: My dad was discharged from the Army in March 1946 with the rank of Sergeant Major. Please describe ...
  A: During WWII, there was no such rank as Sergeant Major; the highest enlisted rank at the time in the ...
WWII Japanese Surrender Document1/13/2008
  Q: My grandpa served in World War Two, and while going through his things he found a copy of the ...
  A: The Original Japanese Surrender Documents are located at the National Archives in Washington D.C. ...
Fuel for German Tanks & AFVs in 194412/31/2007
  Q: If German tanks were Diesels, why was one of the main objectives of the German offensive we know as ...
  A: FOLLOW UP… Hey Tim, Not a problem and my pleasure. If you need any more specifics please let me ...
APO Address in 194512/29/2007
  Q: My father served in the pacific theatre in at APO 337 and was transferred later to APO 704. Do you ...
  A: Good Question… There are two versions of the US Military Postal System. One id the Army Post ...
rebuilding a Piper J-3 Cub (military L-4??)12/29/2007
  Q: I would like to find an exploded-view poster of the Piper J-3 Cub. I have a parts manual and several ...
  A: The L-4 Grasshopper is a great plane, I had a chance to fly one several times, and it was fun to say ...
WW1 Photo found12/13/2007
  Q: I just found a photo of a Great Great Uncle Hugh Emerson who was in Balloon Corp in WW1. Any ...
  A: Of the 102 Balloon Companies in the US Army during WWI, only 69 went overseas to serve with US ...
Short AWOL12/5/2007
  Q: During the US deployment of troops to Great Britain in WW2,while waiting for D-Day, if a private ...
  A: Good question. Moreover, a tough one to answer, given the broad spectrum of what Absent Without ...
Identify a WWII US Army ETO(?) patch11/14/2007
  Q: I am doing a family history Legend is that my late Uncle was awarded the Silver Star in WWII ETO We ...
  A: Sure, I would be honored to look at the patch. I do not think I can give out my email address on ...
Esquadron 201 (Mexican Squadron in the Pacific)11/3/2007
  Q: During WW2 there was a Mexican Squadron in the Pacific called "Esqudron 201". Do you have any info ...
  A: Yes, the was an all-Mexican squadron of P-47 fighter pilots called Escaudron 201, Escuadrón Aéreo de ...
"enlisted men bear watching"10/30/2007
  Q: I have seen the quote stating that" enlisted men bear watching"....i would like the entire quote or ...
  A: Great question. “Enlisted Men Bear Watching”, stems from the Army Officers Guide Circa 1880’s. ...
unit10/29/2007
  Q: my grandfather ssgt Harry Blake s#32-080-881 was discharged from Ft Dix NJ June of 1945 last unit ...
  A: If you grandfather had earned a CIB and a Bronze Star it would have been on his DD-214. The ...
WWII Enlisted Rank10/17/2007
  Q: A photograph of my wife's grandfather in his WWII uniform shows a rank insignia as 1 chevron up, and ...
  A: No photo needed, however it is nice to know you are prepared to present one. One Chevron Up and ...
Battles and Aviation Badge10/16/2007
  Q: bombs, armorer, etc. and his little notebook lists bombing missions and instructions on preflight ...
  A: Your Dad was a specially trained man. He was quite smart. He flew on B-17’s. On a crew of 10, ...
WW 1 Dog Tag (Balloon Corp?)10/7/2007
  Q: A friend recently found a WWI dog tag with the following info under the name: BAL. Co. B Second ...
  A: Your hunch about it being a Balloon Company is Correct. BAL. Co. B --- Balloon Company B Second ...

All Questions in This Category

Military History

John Vargas

Top Expert on this page