Military Policy & Weapons/Unguarded arms

Question
I am doing a blog on the unguarded Libyan arms and must interview an expert.
My questions are:
1.) What do you believe are the major threats of the weapons being unguarded?
2.) Do you fear the weapons will end up in the wrong hands, such as terrorists?
3.) What solutions would you suggest to guard the weapons?
4.) What is your overall view on the Libyan government's current plan on the weapons?

Answer
I must begin by qualifying my answer as I have not been to Libya and only know what I have seen in the news. I do follow the subject with some interest.

1. The major threat from unguarded weapons is that they will be used by whomever takes possession of them. That could be an ally or an enemy of the United States or some other power in the middle east. Since large governments can easily purchase weapons, the smaller caches are meaningless if they are taken over by an existing government. If they are seized by a militia, civilian or other group they can be very important. An example occurred in Iraq. The US Army bypassed several large munitions bunkers while pushing ahead to secure their objectives and had no plans to guard the munitions dumps or blow them up. When they returned the bunkers were empty. I remember seeing pictures of large stacks of SEMTEX blocks for example and the bunker empty later. It is highly likely that some of these munitions were used by one belligerent against another. It is just as likely that some of these munitions became Improvised Explosive Devices and were used against our own armed forces.

2. The particular abandoned weapons I saw pictures of in the Libyan desert were explosively configured rockets. These would be very useful to terrorists (or revolutionaries) attacking a larger military base. While not accurate, these are the types of weapons that are routinely fired into Israel and into our compounds in Afghanistan. They are powerful enough to take many lives if they hit a populated area such as a mess tent, bunk house, school, etc.

3. Helicopter searches with "boots on the ground" immediately after the rebels took control of the main Libyan territory might have prevented some of these weapons abandoned by the Loyalist forces from falling into uncontrolled hands. I'm sure its too late now. Perhaps dollars for weapons might buy some of them off the streets.

4. I really don't know but I suspect that the coalition of groups that successfully ousted the previous government is too loosely organized to do anything except maybe to guard very large stores of munitions in the cities. While the "rebels" were amazingly successful in their effort given their quick organization, I suspect their may be more loyalty to individual field commanders than a central "government". Some of these units may decide it is wise to resupply themselves. If at some later time they feel that they are a part of the "government" then they could turn in their weapons. If not they might just feel a need to keep back a few, "just in case."

You also must consider that in a destitute economy anything of value can be traded for food, shelter or other necessities by "entrepreneurs". These salesmen may not particularly know or care who is buying what, but only want to feed their families.

I expect that the book is still open on what type of government emerges in Libya. An political science expert on the middle east might have a better explanation for some of your questions.

Respectfully submitted,

Richard Albright  

Military Policy & Weapons

Richard Albright