Military Policy & Weapons/Serrated knives

Question
Are serrated knives banned?  If so, where is the ban cited?
Thanks,
- Rick

Answer
I must confess, I thought you were mistakenly referring to automatic (switchblade) knives. As an attorney and weapons expert, I had never heard of such a ban. However, you are quite correct according to a large mailorder sportsmans (shooter) company. Such companies make every effort to research the laws of state and local governments and include a list of the states and jurisdictions where they cannot send a particular item to. I noted 3 knives in one such catelogue. THe first was a large 16" bowie style survival knife. It had a saw tooth spine and a partially serrated blade. It was restricted in CO,CT,AL,Peoria, IL, (Marion, Napa, Ventura, &Yalo, counties CA; Canada, and Miami Dade &Sarasota Counties FL. THe second item was a standard Air Force Survival knife 9 inch blade non serrated with only a saw tooth spine. It cannot be shipped to TN, CO,CT,AL,Peoria, IL, (Marion, Napa, Ventura, &Yalo, counties CA; Canada, and Miami Dade &Sarasota Counties FL. The third knife is 10 inches with a 5 inch drop point blade, serrated a little on top. I would consider it a regular hunitng knife. It cannot be shipped to
CO,CT,AL,Peoria, IL, (Marion, Napa, Ventura, &Yalo, counties CA; Canada, and Miami Dade & Sarasota Counties FL. The fourth knife is only 9 1/2 inches with a 41/2 inch blade with 7 serrations on the top. It has the same restrictions. I don't know if its because of the serrations, saw tooth or size, but the restrictions are certainly interesting. A non-serrated thumb stud lockback 3 inch blade, the kind most carpenters would carry, is also restricted in most of the afformentioned locations. IT would seem that some of these restrictions are for the serrated blades which apparently alos include saw tooth blades. During WWI there were a couple of bayonets with saw teeth on the spines. Whether these were designed to help soldiers build log fortifications or to better destroy an enemy soldier in hand to hand combat, I don't know. However, they were outlawed later by the Geneva convention.
THe only other thing I can add is that most knives over 3 inches (serrated or not)are considered illegal to carry in many jurisdictions. Some places also have restrictions on the WWI trench knife that had brass knuckles built into the handle. THis is more understandable, csince thiose same jurisdictioins outlaw brss knuckles. But the serrated or saw tooth knife is a tool and an aid for peopel who don't know how to keep a regular knife sharp. The logic defies me. Hoe that helps.  

Military Policy & Weapons

Richard Albright