Military Policy & Weapons/Soldiers Creed

My question is about the Soldier Creed which includes this: "I will never leave a fallen comrade."
Is there a difference between this statement and "leaving no one behind?" I seem to be hearing the latter frequently on the current news but not the former statement. Is "fallen comrade" to be taken literally? because if Bergdoff left on his own accord, then he is not "fallen." Please comment on this if you can. Much appreciated.

My understanding is this: a fallen comrade is a soldier who has either been wounded or killed in action. The Creed instills in soldiers the absolute commitment to recover wounded comrades, but also the remains of those KIA. Not leaving anyone behind expands on this creed to also include POW's. Bergdahl fell into the latter category.

Military Policy & Weapons

James Bruno

Diplomacy and foreign affairs. How government decision-making takes place. Interactions of the White House, State Dept., Pentagon, Congress and CIA in formulating policy. How governments deal with each other. Area expertise includes Afghanistan, Indochina, Europe, Cuba. Served in Guantanamo. Currently a member of the Diplomatic Readiness Reserve and Standby Response Corps.

23-years as a diplomat with the U.S. State Dept. Previously at the Defense Dept. Prior to joining government, worked as a journalist with major news organizations.

CBS-News, UPI; various newspapers. Bestselling novelist: TRIBE, PERMANENT INTERESTS and CHASM.

M.A. - U.S. Naval War College
M.A. - Columbia Univ.
B.A. - George Washington Univ.

Various in government.