Military Policy & Weapons/Titanium as a projectile material.

How good is titanium as a projectile material?

Not very good I am afraid.
Since it is a very light weight material it lacks the mass to give the projectile a steady trajectory and cause sufficient effect in the target.
In main battle tank ammunition you need a material that is hard, but not brittle. Depleted uranium or tungsten is the 2 most used materials. I dont know how brittle titanium is but that can be a factor as well since you dont want the projectile to fracture on impact.

Hope this helps

Military Policy & Weapons

Peter Eriksson

Im capable of answering many of your questions about modern Main Battle Tanks and their configuration/construction/sub-systems. I can also tell you a thing or two about MBT ammunition like the DU-projectiles and Hollow Charge munitions if you like.

I work as a technical officer in the Swedish armoured corps. I work on a daily basis with modern systems like the Leopard 2 MBT and the CV9040 IFV. This is something I have done for more than 10 years.

15+ years of service in the Swedish Army