Military Policy & Weapons/Croatian/Serbian weaponry

Question
Hello! I am writing a crime novel taking place in Florida and I need a little help with some arms details.
In my book, Croatian assailants were using Serbian Zastava M91s. I have three questions. 1) Can they be sold in the US to whomever or would the assailants have to acquire them illegally? They would have been purchased to provide for several assailants. 2) If they were purchased illegally, is that something that can be easily done by a corrupt owner of a legit-on-the-surface weapons business? 3) Does Croatia make a sniper rifle (therefore the other two questions would apply to that model instead)? Thanks in advance for the help! :)

Answer
While I have never seen one for sale in the US (I haven't looked for one either)they should be legal to sell as they are semiautomatic. They are an interesting rifle, though the caliber is not one that is popular in the US. My guess is that the Serbian rifle has not as yet been sold off as surplus by the Serbs. Recent conflict in the Ukraine suggest that Serbia is not subject to reduce their military arms anytime soon.
Croatia does not have a sniper rifle, except for a 20mm rifle that is probably very accurate for sniping purposes. (As such, the 20mm is more likely to be employed to take out a truck or car at a mile distance than a soldier). Still we use the 50 caliber as a sniper rifle in the middle east. Mile plus kills have become routine for our snipers in Afghanistan.  

Military Policy & Weapons

Richard Albright