Military Policy & Weapons/Croatian and Serbian weaponry

I am writing a crime novel that takes place in Florida and I need a little help. Croatian assailants were using Serbian Zastava M91s. 1) Can they be sold in the US to whomever or would the assailants have to acquire them illegally? 2) If it was done illegally, can it be easily done by a corrupt owner of a legit-on-the-surface weapons business? 3) Does Croatia make a sniper rifle (if yes the other two questions would apply to that model)? Thanks in advance!

The Zastava M91 is not available in the U.S. though I see a petition is circulating to allow its importation.

Croatia produces its own sniper rifle, the EM-992(, though it also appears to be unavailable in the U.S.

You might want to rely on the Russian-made Dragunov 7.62mm sniper rifle. Otherwise, there are many others available on the market to choose from.

Military Policy & Weapons

James Bruno

Diplomacy and foreign affairs. How government decision-making takes place. Interactions of the White House, State Dept., Pentagon, Congress and CIA in formulating policy. How governments deal with each other. Area expertise includes Afghanistan, Indochina, Europe, Cuba. Served in Guantanamo. Currently a member of the Diplomatic Readiness Reserve and Standby Response Corps.

23-years as a diplomat with the U.S. State Dept. Previously at the Defense Dept. Prior to joining government, worked as a journalist with major news organizations.

CBS-News, UPI; various newspapers. Bestselling novelist: TRIBE, PERMANENT INTERESTS and CHASM.

M.A. - U.S. Naval War College
M.A. - Columbia Univ.
B.A. - George Washington Univ.

Various in government.