Miniature Horses/Over weight mini

Lightning at 4-H state show
Lightning at 4-H state  

Lightning now
Lightning now  
I have a 7 year old mini gelding. I use to show him in AMHR shows but when i went to college my family took care of him. Needless to say my Gram got him FAT. He is fat in his belly and his whole neck has gotten thicker. He get a handful of a grain called triple 10 (similar to sweet feed ) and he get 1/3 flake in morning and 1/3 flake at night. But since i have 4 other large horses when they all go out i put whole bale of hay out for everyone. So he eats it freely there.

I was working him everyday with a belly sweat. I did everything from working him on a long line walk-trot-canter and over fences to line driving him (with out belly sweat of course). He lost a few inches on the sides but still is fat. I also use throat and neck sweats too but still has super thick neck instead of his nice hookie show neck.

So is there anything else i can do to get him back to show weight and condition? especially with winter coming up

Thank you

Hello Dominque,
I totally understand this as I have some minis and it is hard to keep them fit!  You have identified that he is getting lots of hay with the other horses.  One option is to keep him in, or section off an area for him so he can't eat with the others.  You could also use a mini grazing muzzle which greatly limits what they can eat.  Exercise will help as well, but you need to cut back  on his food.  If he is eating with the others AND still getting his 1/3 flake twice daily, he is getting much more than he needs!

Good luck with this.   

Heidi  Herriott

Miniature Horses

Heidi Herriott

I am a professional horse trainer and entertainer specializing in trick horse training, performing with horses, and miniature horses. I can answer questions about traveling, training, trick training, general feed and care.

Heidi Herriott is proud to be a third generation performer, animal trainer and lover, and animal welfare advocate. Her career has taken her throughout North and South America. As a child, she traveled and performed with her famous circus family, and with various circuses including Ringling Bros., and as an adult continuing the family tradition. Heidi performs with her horses, as a circus ringmaster, animal trainer and presenter, and circus and special event producer. Heidi loves training, traveling and performing with her animals! Heidi has presented and/or trained a variety of animals throughout North America training. including horses, mules, elephants, camels, llamas, pigs, dogs, cats, goats, zebra, and more. Venues included fairs, theme parks, circuses, zoos, television productions, game shows, dinner theatres, horse shows, rodeos and special events. Role included all aspects of animal care and management including transporting, program for care, housing, nutrition, permitting and regulatory issues, as well as training and presenting.;

International Association of Fairs and Expositions Outdoor Amusement Business Association Florida Federation of Fairs

my website;; More magazine; USDA Animal Care guidelines; Showtime Magazine; The Faircracker; Fairs and Expos

My experience lies in my lifetime of hands on dealing with all types of animals, specializing in miniatures.;;

Pet Star Winner with a mini trick horse silver and bronze medals and the Sarasota Circus Festival Guest MC - Ringling Museum of the Circus

Heidi and her horses have been featured performers at, trained for, and/or collaborated with the following companies: Ringling Bros. Circus, Down Under Horsemanship, Lynn Palm's Women Luv Horses, Mississippi State Fair, Missiouri State Fair, Champlain Valley Exposition, NC State Championship Horse Show, International Andalusian Alliance, Animal Planet, Pet Star Show winner season 3, Nickelodeon Studios, Walt Disney World, Southwick Zoo, Arabian Nights Orlando, Diamond S Rodeo and Wild West Show, Six Flags Theme Parks,