Minneapolis/Prospect Park

Question
QUESTION: Grew up in Prospect Park in the 30's and 40's...Heaven!! But what is it like now? Still U enclave? Almost all our neighbors were at the U. I think a Mr. Jones from Architecture Dept. lived on Arthur...I compiled a book with people of my era...it's at the main library if you're interested..."MEMORIES OF PROSPECT PARK...1910 TO 1950"...Private publication.
Thanks for your reply....
joan

ANSWER: Hi Joan,

Thanks for your question.  Coincidentally, I was just in Prospect Park on Tuesday.  I was leading an architecture tour, and I brought the people on the tour into the Frank Lloyd Wright house on Bedford Street.  Are you aware of that house? It was built in 1934 and was completely restored about 10 years ago.  It is stunningly beautiful.

Yes, Prospect Park is still home to many professors and others employed by the U of Minnesota.  And it's still a cozy upper-middle class neighborhood.  I'm sure you would recognize most of the houses.  There's been very little change in the look of the neighborhood since I've known it, which goes back to the 70s.  

The one problem that I can tell you about in Prospect Park is the Interstate highway -- I-94.  It was rammed through the southern edge of the neighborhood.  In fact, it is just a few feet from the edge of the lot that the Frank Lloyd Wright house stands on.  There is a "noise wall" between the traffic and the neighborhood, but there is still too much noise.  It has made the houses right near the freeway MUCH less desirable than they were previously.

I'll look for your book at the Mpls. Public Library.  

Thanks,
Richard L. Kronick
RICHARDLKRONICK.COM

QUESTION: NOT A QUESTION. GREW UP AT 100 SEYMOUR, MY FOLKS BOUGHT THAT HOUSE IN 1927. THORSHOV BOUGHT OUR EMPTY LOT AT 104 AND BUILT HIS HOUSE THERE C.1941  THE EMPTY LOT ON THE OTHER SIDE OF US WAS OWNED BY ENGLE IN THE 30'S AND SOLD TO HAROLD DEUTSCH OF GERMAN HISTORY WWII FAME WHEN HE ALSO BOUGHT THE ENGLE HOUSE AT 86 IN THE 30'S.DEUTSCH BUILT THE MODERN HOUSE IN ABOUT 1950. WE WERE ALL NEIGHBORS FOR OVER 40 YEARS..NEXT, .THERE IS A REAL PHOTO POSTCARD OF THE BOISE HOUSE FOR SALE NOW FOR $40.00 ON EBAY COLLECTIBLES SALE....THEN CAME THE ALLEY, THEN DR DORGE, THEN THE ROOMING HOUSE, THEN DR. MCQUARRIE (HEAD OF PEDS), THEN DR. YLIVISAKER, THEN REV. LARSON...ACROSS FROM THORSHOV'S MOTHER * THE TENNIS COURTS.MY DAD TAUGHT ORGANIC. CHEM IN THE GRAD SCHOOL..YOU WOULD LOVE THE PP BOOK AT THE LIBRARY....JOAN HUNTER PUDVAN   ETC.  THE CORE OF THE PARK IS UNCHANGED.

Answer
Hi Joan,

Thanks for all this information!   ll have a look at the houses you referred to.  I'm assuming you are referring to Roy Thorshov when you said "Thorshov" bought your empty lot -- YES?  If so, I'm especially pleased to learn where his house is.  I'll be interested to see what he built.  What an architect builds for his own family shows a lot about that architect.  I encounter buildings designed by Thorshov (mostly houses) all over the Twin Cities.

Richard Kronick

Minneapolis

Richard Kronick