Minor League Baseball/Pro Career at 27?

Question
I will be 27 as of December 4th 2014. I played college baseball at The Florida Institute of Technology from 2006 - 2010 and had really good offensive numbers while I was there. Unfortunately, I was never drafted and I began to try my luck at showcases. Again, no luck.  My downfall, from what I could gather, was that I didn't fit the prototypical 1st baseman, which is where I played in college. I didn't hit for quite the power they look for at that position and they didn't really care about a sub 7 60 yard time because I played 1st base. Currently, I coach at a high school and do private hitting instruction, so I am teaching the game all the time. However, I have not played competitively for a while. I still believe I have all the tools to play professionally but I know my age at this point could cause a problem. My questions for you are... Do I have a shot at professional baseball? Is it possible that I was overlooked because of position? If I went to a showcase as a left fielder and threw 90+ from the outfield, swung the stick with good contact and good power, and ran a sub 7 60 yard dash would I get a good look even if I am 27?

Answer
mike,

i hate to be the bearer of bad news but as much as you love to play and probably dream of playing pro ball, i don't think you would make it. you weren't able to do it in college, you're about 5 years older and you aren't playing competitively. I don't really know the specifics of your situation so i don't really want to say; sure, it's very possible you were over looked because of your position. there are many, many factors involved so i really don't know. another big factor is your age. it's funny to say this but at 27 you're too old.
if you really love to play, i'd try out for an independent team or baseball club in your area. good luck.

tom

Minor League Baseball

Tom