Misc Religions/words, metaphors, idioms, hebrew thought

Question
QUESTION: Jn1:1-14 if Y 'shua is the Word, is with Elohim, and is Elohim, was testified by yochanan the immerser, and became flesh...yet is not incarnate Elohim..oh and breathed the Ruach HaKodesh on his talmidim which is the spirit of Elohim..said let there be light and the only begotten of Elohim was created yet this is also the life of all men..hear o israel the Lord our God is ONE...echad ...so are they two..or three..or one...who moves and has His being in Him "Elohim is one "..why haven't any believers translated the new covenant in hebrew so we know...Y'shua is the new covenant in all ways..and the the very substance of the old covenant (shadows of things to come) and yet the Kingdom of God is within you right now even in your hearing..Baruch HaShem Adonai...thanks

ANSWER: Hi Skip,

There are many questions/issues raised here. I sort of wish you had been more succinct as it would have allowed me to share more on the specific points you have. Feel free to ask up follow-ups if this does not suffice.

First, as a Jew I do not accept the teaching that Y'shua (Jesus) is God. Unlike most Jews I do hold him in respect and have spent years seeking to discern his actual teachings from those that are attributed to him. I have many studies on related topics on my website http://allfaith.com if you are interested.

Like the entire New Testament, John chapter 1 must be understood in terms of first century Judaism. We ask then: "In the beginning was the Word..." What is the Word? The Word is Torah. In Greek, not having Torah, the word logos was used, Word.

In the beginning was Torah and Torah was with God (Theos). Judaism teaches that Torah was among the first things God created as I discuss here: http://allfaith.com/being/words.html.

And Torah was God... How? Because God is One. The eternal Torah reveals the Mind of God and hence is non-different from Him.

Y'shua, according to his followers, was a true tzadik (a man of impeccable righteousness and Torah knowledge and observance). The believed that what he spoke was always in complete harmony with Torah. Hence we read that: "Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work" --  John 4:34.

Many Jews would and do make this statement about their rabbis. I would say this for instance about Rebbe Nachman of Breslov, the Ba'al Shem Tov, and several other of our sages. They were so harmonious with God's Will that I consider their words to be flowing from Torah. While such tzadikim are very humble, they are aware of their connection with HaShem.

This is why Y'shua said, for instance, "I and my father are one" John 10:30. Was this a claim to divinity? In no way. Consider he also said: "And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one John 17:22. Was he saying his followers were also God? Of course not! He meant that he was one with God's Will and purposes and that his followers could (and should) attain the same wonders. Hence: Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father John 14:12.

When one studies Y'shua and his followers from the perspective in which the texts were written, first century Jewish, there is no question: Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.  John 14:28. He NEVER claimed to God. He was very humble and ALWAYS submitted himself to the Will of HaShem according to the New Testament.

As you cited: HaShem is echad (One). NO ONE is equal to nor independent of Him.

Judaism and Torah have not and will never be replaced. Y'shua taught the same: For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled Matthew 5:18.  
And again, Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews  John 4:22.

I hope this answers your question satisfactorily. Feel free to write back.

Shalom,
~ Shlomo

QUESTION: Are we not to strive to be one with the Father as Y 'shua is one with the father..why did pharisees set Y 'shua up to speak the truth to see if He would break the commandments? Y 'shua told them they neither knew him nor My Father, if ye had known me you'd have known my Father also(jn8:19) I truly believe my Father is Adonai and.  Adon is master my king is Y 'shua..why were they so blazing about blasphemy when it was they who said he was the son of the blessed..son of The Living God..(mk 14:61,62. Luke 22:67-70. Matt 26:63,64) thou saith..He said touch me not for I am not yet ascended to my Father :but go to my brethren and say I ascend unto my Father and your Father my God and your God(jn 20:17)..so why do we have this battle about God? Did Y'shua say "I AM THAT I AM"?? It seems to me they wanted salvation for a nation Israel and not a personal salvation..are we not to strive to be one with Y 'shua as he is one with our Father that we can be one with HaShem ..he is Y 'shuati..baruch HaShem Adonai..peace brother..thanks love your works reading on to life..

Answer
Shalom,
Yes, according to the New Testament books Y'shua prayed that his followers would be one with HaShem AS he is one with Him. Y'shua was one with Torah (the Word) (John 1:1-), i.e. a Torah observant rabbinic Jew. This is how we can achieve this, by becoming one with HaShem in emunah (active faith) as he was. We do not become God and he never claimed to be God. He taught the opposite.

When a person presents him/herself as a leader of the people it is the responsibility of the leaders to confirm his/her qualifications in order to protect the people from frauds. This is done by establishing their knowledge and practice of Halakha (Jewish Law and Tradition: Torah). Y'shua was attracting many people and so the Rabbinim rightly tested him.

When John 8:19 is understood from a Jewish perspective it is seen differently.
The main reason Y'shua was rejected by Rabbinim (Pharisees) is that he sought to bypass their authority (even though he acknowledged they had it, that they sit in the seat of Moshe (Matthew 23:1-3). His view was that the Rabbinim had become too legalistic, that they observed Halakha properly but without heart, without kavanah and emunah. "If you had these traits, if you understood the real meaning of the Scriptures, then you would realize the truth of I'm teaching!' This is what he was saying.

Note too who he was speaking with. The next verse says: John 8:20  Jesus spoke these words in the treasury, as He taught in the temple.... By order of Hasmonean King Alexander Jannaeus the Sadducees controlled the Temple. Y'shua was debating followers of that sect. He was a Pharisee (Rabbinic). The Sadducees differed on many critical points with Y'shua's sect. In the main he agreed with the Rabbinic elders.

You: ...why were they so blazing about blasphemy when it was they who said he was the son of the blessed

Religious Jews have always awaited the coming Messiah with joy and fear. Just before and just after Y'shua many false Messiah came The difficulty with Y'shua, if we go strictly by what is written, is that he was neither clearly claiming to HaMoshiach nor denying it. For example consider this from his early ministry period:

One Shabbat, shortly after beginning his three and a half year ministry, Y'shua entered his home synagogue in Nazareth. As is the tradition, he stood to do a Torah reading. This reading is recorded at Luke 4:16-20. Y'shua read from the scroll of the Prophet Isaiah. Read the quote in the New Testament first, and then read the source text in Isaiah. See if you notice anything different. This is a good research exercise. One must not make assumptions about what texts say. See if you see the difference in the two readings before continuing with the explanation below. Much confusion comes when people fail not only to consider the context but in many cases what the referenced texts actually say. This study error is disturbingly common. We must not allow ourselves to "go on auto pilot" when reading the Word.

Luke 4:18 "The Spirit of ADONAI is upon me; therefore he has anointed me to announce Good News to the poor; he has sent me to proclaim freedom for the imprisoned and renewed sight for the blind, to release those who have been crushed,
   19 to proclaim a year of the favor of ADONAI."

Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of Adonai ELOHIM is upon me, because ADONAI has anointed me to announce good news to the poor. He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted; to proclaim freedom to the captives, to let out into light those bound in the dark;
   2 to proclaim the year of the favor of ADONAI and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn.

See anything interesting?

Y'shua did not quote the entire verse! He omitted Isaiah's ending: "and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn...."

Why would he do that?

The only logical explanation is that his omission was intentional. Y'shua knew (Luke chapter 4) that he would be rejected by the elders despite his (and Yochanan the Immerser's) offer to establish the Kingdom in their day as HaMoshiach. For this reason he knew he would not fulfill the entire prophecy!

Hence he completed his reading this way:

Luke 4:20 After closing the scroll and returning it to the shammash, he sat down; and the eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fixed on him.
   21 He started to speak to them: "Today, as you heard it read, this passage of the Tanakh was fulfilled!"

He knowingly cut the prophecy in half! "As you heard it." This reading itself was a warning and a prophecy to his hearers. Remember this was at the beginning of his ministry. Y'shua referenced only the part of the prophecy he would fulfill in that advent. Then he proclaimed publicly: "Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your ears." (Luke 4:21).

He did not consider himself to be the Messiah. He did consider that he would fulfill a portion of it and, arguably, that he would return at a later date (a second coming).

The rabbis wanted something more clear, going back to your question. 'Tell us plainly! Are you the Messiah or not?' The idea that the Messiah might come and not be accepted was horrific to them BUT accepting a false Messiah was even worse!

THE role of Messiah is to conquer the enemies of Israel and reestablish the Davidic Kingdom. And yet Y'shua told them not to take up weapons, not to resist Rome, but to "Pay Caesar what is his and God what is His." That is not something Messiah will say! They saw what he did, they heard the wisdom of his teachings, they saw large crowds following him.... BUT he was not fulfilling the prophecies! Oy! What to do with him? That was their concern.

You: Did Y'shua say "I AM THAT I AM"??

No. He did not say that. From my writings:

"Before Avraham Was I AM!"

Although the exact date of his birth is not known, it is fairly well established that Y'shua was born between 7 and 4 B.C.E. (i.e. before our common era, same as BC). I believe he was most likely born on or near Thursday, October 6, 7 BCE as I discuss here: http://allfaith.com/holidays/christmas2.html. It is certain from what we know that he was not born during the Winter Solstice celebrations as taught by Nicene Christianity. The Nicene holiday Christmas is based on the Pagan rite of Saturnalia as I discuss here: http://allfaith.com/holidays/christmas.html.

This being the case, one might wonder how Y'shua could say the following if he is not God as maintained by Nicene Christians:

John 8:54 Yeshua answered, "If I praise myself, my praise counts for nothing. The One who is praising me is my Father, the very one about whom you keep saying, 'He is our God.'
   55 Now you have not known him, but I do know him; indeed, if I were to say that I don't know him, I would be a liar like you! But I do know him, and I obey his word [i.e. Torah].
   56 Avraham, your father, was glad that he would see my day; then he saw it and was overjoyed."
   57 "Why, you're not yet fifty years old," the Judeans replied, "and you have seen Avraham?"
   58 Yeshua said to them, "Yes, indeed! Before Avraham came into being, I AM!" [Greek: ego eimi: "I existed"]
   59 At this, they picked up stones to throw at him; but Yeshua was hidden and left the Temple grounds.

As is so often the case with Scripture we could easily do an entire course on these verses! For now please note:

Y'shua clearly denies that he is God here: "If I praise myself, my praise counts for nothing. The One who is praising me is my Father... He is our God."
   Y'shua knows God and he obeys Him as his Lord: "But I do know him, and I obey his word [Torah]."
   Father Avraham knew of Y'shua's future ministry and was "overjoyed" by it.
   Y'shua personally saw Avraham.
   Y'shua existed before Avraham: "Before Avraham came into being, I existed [Greek: ego eimi]."

"I AM" is capitalized in most English translations at John 8:59 following Nicene tradition, however there is no textual reason to do so in the Greek. According to the Greek text what he said was: "Before Avraham came into being, I existed [Greek: ego eimi].

According to the Rabbinim the 'spirit of Messiah' came into existence with the creation. Rabbis differ on what this means. Does it mean that whoever will be the Messiah was created as a unique person among the first seven things made or does it mean the intent (spirit) was in HaShem's Mind from the beginning that He would send a particular messiah (anointed person) to Israel to establish the Olam Haba (or World to Come)? In either case, it appears that the author is implying that Y'shua considered this anointed spirit to be upon himself. Avraham had faith Messiah would come. According to Rambam and others in each generation there is at least one tzadik (holy person) who could fulfill the role of HaMoshiach if all the conditions for his coming are met. This is a matter of considerable debate among Jews.

Anyway, in no way is this comment a reference to HaShem's statement recorded at Exodus 3:14: "God said to Moshe, "Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh [I am/will be what I am/will be]," and added, "Here is what to say to the people of Isra'el: 'Ehyeh [I Am or I Will Be] has sent me to you.'").

These points are clear in these passages. In this limited space I can not address all the Scriptures that are twisted by people, however in every case the truth is clear in context. HaShem alone is God and Y'shua is His son (son is capitalized by tradition to indicate his unique status but not in the Greek text).

The Messiah will accomplish specific goals. Thus far no one, including Y'shua, has done done so.

For more read my study here: http://allfaith.com/moshiach/moshiachreq.html

Peace, Love and Light,
~ Shlomo

Misc Religions

Shlomo Phillips