Missionary Work/Itinerant Evangelism

My name is Joseph. After graduating seminary I've been prayerfully considering starting an itinerant evangelism ministry. However, I don't know much about how to go about it and I can't find much material or training on how to do it. I wonder if you know much about how to do it or could point me in a direction where I can learn how to do it. Thanks.

Thanks for your question.  This sounds like a big undertaking.  

A lot of the details on this task with be dependent on the denomination to which you belong.  Some may have training and support structures in place for such an endeavor.  Others may not.  The best way to find out is to contact the local district/diocese/synod/conference office of the denomination to which your local congregation belongs.  They should be able to tell you if your denomination has such structures in place and how to access them.  

If there are not such resources available from your denominational leadership, the most important logistical element you will have to deal with is funding.  Doing research on the "network supported" model of funding missionaries would be a great resource for this.  This is the model my denomination uses for a majority of missionaries/evangelists they have called to serve.  The rest of it just has to do with getting in contact with people wherever you happen to be and telling them about Jesus.  You could use any wise method you want to provide for this to happen, but if you are looking for particular techniques or strategies to accomplish this, arranging for an apprenticeship-like experience with a practicing evangelist might be a good resource.  

Missionary Work

Rev. Jason P. Peterson

I welcome the opportunity to answer questions regarding Evangelism/Outreach to English-speaking non-Christians in the United States. My answers in this area would be relevant for any Christian denomination. I also have specialized knowledge in the areas of rural ministry, rural evangelism, race track chaplaincy and auto racing outreach/ministry. I do not have adequate experience to answer questions regarding world missions, cross-cultural outreach, or outreach by any religion other than Christianity.

I have served as a Lutheran (Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod) pastor for six years at St. John's Lutheran Church in Burt, IA. For six years, I served as chairman of the Personal Missions Subcommittee, I currently serve as chairman of the Commission on Ministerial Growth & Support of the Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod's Iowa District West and Track Chaplain at Algona Raceway.

Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod

Algona Upper Des Moines (newspaper) Bancroft Register (newspaper)

B.A. Concordia University - Ann Arbor, MI (Biblical Languages) M.Div. Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne, IN (Exegetical Theology, Pastoral Ministry & Missions)

Zion Lutheran Church (Columbia City, IN) Zion Lutheran Church (Altamont, IL) St. John's Lutheran Church (Burt, IA) Zion Lutheran Church (Lu Verne, IA) Algona Raceway (IA) Fairmont Raceway (MN) Hancock County Speedway (Britt, IA) Clay County Fairgrounds Raceway (Spencer, IA)