Mitsubishi Repair/mitsi airtrek 2003

Hi Tony
i have a 03 mitsi airtrek (ex Japan) sports gear. The battery is playing up and i want to change this but have been warned that teh Mitsi Multi communication system will lock if power is disrupted requiring a cd key to reboot the system. I have also hear that a way to get around this is to plug in a porta-jack battery charger ( into cigarette lighter to maintain power while you swap out the battery. can you confirm if this is a viable stratergy.

Many Mitsubishis do require the need to enter a CD key if power is lost.  This is a theft deterrent.  But you can request a CD key if you do not have it from a dealership.  Many times the key will be written in the owners manual.  As for bypassing power via the cigarette lighter, that could work as long it's supplies enough power and removing the battery does not cut the circuit keeping power to the radio.  It's worth a shot.
Good luck!  

Mitsubishi Repair

Anthony Falcone

I have been working with (and driving) a first generation Mitsubishi Eclipse for several years. Anything that could go wrong with an Eclipse has probably happened on mine. Fortunately, I have gained a lot of knowledge from experience in repairing these problems myself.

Identifying and repairing problems in mechanical and electrical areas. Plus, I have learned many ways to enhance performance to the incredible engine Mitsubishi put in their early model Turbos.

AS degree in Engineering Science
BS degree in Electrical Engineering