Mitsubishi Repair/mitsi airtrek 2003

Question
Hi Tony
i have a 03 mitsi airtrek (ex Japan) sports gear. The battery is playing up and i want to change this but have been warned that teh Mitsi Multi communication system will lock if power is disrupted requiring a cd key to reboot the system. I have also hear that a way to get around this is to plug in a porta-jack battery charger (http://www.portajump.co.nz) into cigarette lighter to maintain power while you swap out the battery. can you confirm if this is a viable stratergy.

Answer
Grant,
Many Mitsubishis do require the need to enter a CD key if power is lost.  This is a theft deterrent.  But you can request a CD key if you do not have it from a dealership.  Many times the key will be written in the owners manual.  As for bypassing power via the cigarette lighter, that could work as long it's supplies enough power and removing the battery does not cut the circuit keeping power to the radio.  It's worth a shot.
Good luck!  

Mitsubishi Repair

Anthony Falcone