Model Railroads/Restoring 1960's N gauge Minitrix engine

Question
Hello,

I recently found a nicely stored Aurora (Canadian) N gauge set.  I briefly powered
the engine and transformer, and it seems okay.  There was no documentation though.

Box indicates: "Aurora Postage Stamp Train Set", No. 4707.  One track switch
note indicates "Minitrix Remote 15*  No 4964 LH

From some searching the web it looks like mid 1960's?

So I would like to dissasemble and service the engine before running it longer.

Can you point me to any available service manuals, links?  Or describe how to open
the engine, and/or lubricate & clean necessary parts?

I can forward photos if that helps.

Thank you!

Answer
Hi:

Nice find!  These are from 1969 and sold for a few years after that. On lots of them the box lid has faded from it's bright white to an off white. Should have a yellow and red insert inside the box to hold everything in it's place. There was a service manual that came with these with the Canadian set version in English/French. Found a pic of the service pages here:

http://www.guidetozscale.com/html/1969_postage_stamp_trains.html    

Kind of hard to see these clearly so if you need better quality pics contact me at schwinnbikebob@yahoo.com and I'll scan them for you. No lube instructions however but remember not to use to much lube. Everyone thinks that if a little is good them a lot must be better which is not the case. The wheels and track need to be really clean for best performance. Minitrix and probably others made a tool just for this. Here is a link to what it looks like but I think these are still for sale lots of places.

http://www.reynaulds.com/products/Trix/66623.aspx

Most of Aurora's train items were imported from Minitrix so everything is interchangeable. Hope this helps and let me know if I can be of further help.

Bob

Model Railroads

Bob Williams