Model Railroads/Trains Direction Movements.

Question
Trains Directions
Trains Directions  

Trains Directions
Trains Directions  
Dear Chris

We always see Trains - Up and Down moving either in North - South
OR East - West Direction.

Example : Four Tracks

1. Train 1 moving Towards North On Track 1
2. Train 2 moving Towards South On Track 2
3. Train 3 moving Towards North On Track 3
4. Train 4 moving Towards South on Track 4

Question
--------

As attached in the figure viz Trains Direction Movement 1, Will this type of Trains Direction Movements also applicable i.e. Railways running in real scenarios in specific countries?

i.e. Some Trains Moving in North-South, South-North Direction but at the Same time, Some Trains are also moving in East - West, West-East Direction.

Cases
------

1. Train 1 Moving from North to South , Train 2 Moving from East to West.

2. Train 1 Moving from South to North , Train 2 Moving from East to West.

3. Train 1 Moving from North to South, Train 2 Moving from West to East.

4. Train 1 Moving from South to North, Train 2 Moving from West to East.

5. Train 1 Moving from East to West, Train 2 Moving from North to South.

6. Train 1 Moving from East to West, Train 2 Moving from South to North.

7. Train 1 Moving from West to East, Train 2 moving from North to South.

8. Train 1 Moving from West to East, Train 2 moving from South to North.

Either Train 1 or Train 2 has to halt in all cases so that the other Train moves in the specific direction to avoid collision.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
In very simple terms, all railroads pick a particular direction to be superior over the opposite direction.  This superior direction changes by railroad and country.  I do not have any idea about railroads in India.  But in the USA, each railroad has its superior direction and usually this is depicted by the direction having the greater movements.

In the western USA, trains moving towards the Pacific Ocean typically are superior to those moving away.  So westbound trains are superior to eastbound trains.  But on the east coast of the USA (Atlantic Ocean side), this can be opposite with eastbound trains superior over westbound trains.

You will need to study or contact the railroad of interest to learn which direction is superior over the other.

Model Railroads

Chris Coscia