Model Railroads/1920s American Flyer "The Toy for the Boy"

AF Picture
AF Picture  
My grandfather received an AF set for his fifth birthday in August 1928.  The engine is marked AF #16, coal car #120, passenger car #1103, U.S. Mail Railway Post Office car #1205 and caboose #1206.

I have the cars and track in the original box and am curious what kind of value might be associated with this set.  The engine will wind, but doesn't turn/release after winding and the all of the cars have wear and tear.

I don't have any intention of letting this go, but would like to know if there is anything particularly unique about this set and where it might be valued.

Thank you,

The set was one of the common offerings from the 30"S that sold through all of the hobby and retail outlets. This set with it's large cast iron engine easily hauled the eight wheel cars around a 30 inch circle. These sets can be found on eBay every month and in the condition shown can bring $100-150 with a premium on the clean boxes and working motors.

Model Railroads

Jerry Loman

Any questions on American manufacturers of wind up cast iron floor trains, track trains and their litho tin cars and accessories. This would include manufacturers of the following; American Flyer,Hafner,Ives,Lionel,Marx,Dorfan and AMRR. I can identify variants in casting methodology and have experience in determining almost all manufacturing dates within catalogued identifiers. I have extensive experience in the litho tin variants of passenger and freight cars that go with the wind up sets and also many of the early electric train sets. I do not have extensive or specific experience on variations of European wind up toy trains but can help with most general questions on european cast iron wind up trains.

35 years of collecting specifically cast iron wind up trains. I have repaired and restored during this same period having made many of my own tooling to support manfacturing restoration parts and accessories. I have identified 5 toy train engines and cars that had not previousely been published in any referance or collector book.

TCA ETrain magazine. This is an online publication of general toy train interest.

I have a high school education with some college credits.