Model Railroads/ENGINE REPAIR

Question
I HAVE 12 TYCO ENGINES THAT WHERE SITTING IN WATER DUE TO SANDY . IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET THEM REPAIRED, OR DUE I HAVE TO SUFFER THERE LOSS?

Answer
Hi!  William.  Thank you for your question.  I'm so sorry about your loses because of Sandy.  I would think that they might be saved or repaired.  They need to be dried out and the iron/steel parts possibly oiled.  Other parts won't be affected by clear water, although salt water could be a problem.  I would flush them out in clean tap water and then dry them out quickly with either dry heat (like on a radiator or with a hair dryer).  Once dry the motor bearings, axles and valve gear need to be gently oiled with a hobby type oil.  I wouldn't use 3in1 oil or WD-40. You only want to use very small drops on the end of a pin or needle as too much oil can gum things up.  The motor shouldn't be affected too much with clean water and being dried out completely.  Don't oil the commutator (the copper drum that the brushes rub against), just the bearings on the motor (armature shaft).  The gears should be protected by a heavier hobby grease or heavier hobby oil.  Most hobby stores sell model lubes, both the light oil and the gear oil.  One brand is Hobbylube and another is LaBelle. The other components (body etc.) shouldn't be affected by clean water.  After many hobbists use water based paint to paint their trains. If you don't feel up to the repairs I'd still rinse out any salt water residue and take them to a hobby store for repair.
I hope this helps and I can understand your feelings about loss.  Sandy was truly terrible.  Frank.

Model Railroads

Frank Edgcombe