Model Railroads/Life-Like N Scale

I acquired a lot of 10 N scale rail cars either manufactured in Yugoslavia or China along with a Chessie System (C&O) GP40 7786 made in Yugoslavia. I don't necessarily need value but how rare they might be. The lettering on the paper in the plastic cases appears to be from the 70's. I am just looking for a general idea.

Thank you for your time!

Scott A. Haynes

Hi!  Scott.  Thanks for your question.  The rail cars made in Yugoslavia and the GP40 by Mehanotehnika were very cheap and have little value, especially as the GP40's motor was pretty poor.  New N gauge locomotives are much better.  The Chinese ones of that age were very cheap also and probably have little value, especially as they were all made in great numbers at the time. More than likely they are not prototypical just generic and with minimal lettering and color schemes.  Nowadays N gauge modelers demand prototypical designs, colors and graphics and the locomotives must run like clocks with all the bells and whistles of lights and sound and controlled by in built computer chips known as DCC chips and really decent knuckle couplers that work.  N gauge has gone a long way recently and of course prices to suit, unfortunately. Incidentally almost all N gauge is now made in China, beautifully made and fully prototypical, except for Microtrain cars which are made in the United States.  Frank

Model Railroads

Frank Edgcombe

I CAN NOT DIAGNOSE equipment problems or ESTIMATE DOLLAR VALUES of your equipment, by email. I have been active in model railroading for forty years. I can answer, or find answers, to questions on most aspects of model trains, railroad equipment or buildings. I have a good knowledge of prototype railroads. I have been employed by five model railroad equipment manufacturers/suppliers and worked for a prototype railroad. I have served, twice, as the president of a local model railroad club. I have been employed as a Reference Librarian, at a university, for the last fifteen years and am used to tracking down resources for patrons.