Model Railroads/1122 Switch shorting

QUESTION: Who can I contact regarding three 1122 switches, all of which are shorting.

Thanks, John D

ANSWER: Hi! John.  Thank you for your question.  I'm sorry I can't answer it because I don't know what make switches you have or what gauge, O or OO, or HO. Also it makes a difference if they are shorting out by themselves or when they are connected to other tracks, as it might be because of your layout, not the switches. Sorry.

QUESTION: The 1122 switch is 027 guage and I am using O gauge track. The switches (4) operate correctly when connected to the track. The shorts occur when the train or rolling stock roll over the switch. These are derailing switches. The short happens when a train wheel or car rolls over the rails at the jucture of the track and the switch and at the location of the plastic insulating pins. I have other switches, not 1122, which function correctly. However, these do not have the deraing feature.

Thanks for your reply,

John Denison

John.  I'm not an expert on this type of question but I think your problem is that you are trying to mix O gauge track with O-27 switches and maybe due to the derailing feature, which I have never heard of before.  Lionel has a help feature on their website and maybe you can get a better response from them.  The only thing I can think of is that you have switched the leads leading to the isolated portions of your track causing the short as the wheels roll over the plastic pins, reverse the connections might solve your problem.  Frank

Model Railroads

Frank Edgcombe

I CAN NOT DIAGNOSE equipment problems or ESTIMATE DOLLAR VALUES of your equipment, by email. I have been active in model railroading for forty years. I can answer, or find answers, to questions on most aspects of model trains, railroad equipment or buildings. I have a good knowledge of prototype railroads. I have been employed by five model railroad equipment manufacturers/suppliers and worked for a prototype railroad. I have served, twice, as the president of a local model railroad club. I have been employed as a Reference Librarian, at a university, for the last fifteen years and am used to tracking down resources for patrons.