Model Railroads/Lionel transformers

Question
Front view
Front view  

Top view
Top view  
I have a 25 watt , Type LX Transformer , made by The Lionel corporation. I can't find any information about it anywhere. If you could tell me year it was made and any possible value it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Answer
Hi!  Larry.  Thank you for your question.  Your Lionel LW transformer looks very old, probably from the 1930's,  especially if its metal cased.  Lionel switched to plastic cases in the 1950-1960 era.  I see that it's missing binding nuts.  I would be concerned that the insolation on the power cord is still good.  Many older transformers had frayed power cords and that can be a lethal hazard.  I would have an electrician check it out before use.  Probably the metal case is not grounded either, another potential lethal hazard.  As to value , not much I'm afraid as there are plenty of later plastic cased LW transformers for sale on eBay at a variety of prices.  Furthermore yours seems to have steps giving variable voltages.  The newer LWs had continuously variable voltages for better control and more power outputs for accessories and whistles etc.
I found some general pages of instructions on Lionel transformers, but they might not fully apply to yours as it is so old.  Here is a link.
http://pictures.olsenstoy.com/cd/transfmr/ps6.pdf

Model Railroads

Frank Edgcombe