Model Railroads/Level / Railroad Crossing Automated Systems.

Question
Level Crossing System 1
Level Crossing System  

Level Crossing System 2
Level Crossing System  
Dear Larry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_crossing

Do you feel Automated Level / Railroad Crossings (i.e. Without Manual Intervention) of opening /closing gates have an edge over manual railroad systems in terms of prevention of pedestrian accidents,collisions of vehicles with trains i.e. safety measures ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Manual railroad crossing
Manual railroad crossi  
In my 70 years, I have never seen a manually operated crossing anywhere in the United States.  Where I live in the Hudson Valley, about 40 miles north of New York City, the last manually operated crossing that I have seen photos of was in 1946!

I really believe that automated crossings, if properly installed, are far safer than any manually operated one.  One obvious reason is that human beings are fallible and a manually operated  crossing adds an additional layer of complexity and timing problems for the simple reason that the manually operated ones need to have the crossing attendant respond to a signal that a train is approaching.  That function is completely eliminated with an automated crossing.

Model Railroads

Larry Weinberg