Model Railroads/Pre war American Flyer 4664

American flyer 4664
American flyer 4664  
I recently received an American Flyer 4664 Ives casting engine and tender,
4-4-2, 25" long w/ 4693 Vanderbilt tender,
1930. I can't find any information about it online and was wondering if you were familiar with it.
Thanks for your time

Sean Singleton

Hi!  Sean. Nice. Lucky you.  I hope you enjoy the locomotive.  Unfortunately it was made long before I worked for American Flyer and the trains I worked with were much smaller, being S gauge.  I did find a locomotive for sale like yours, on the web, that went for auction in 2004.  The asking price, or sale price was $250.  There are some price guides that show values called the Greenberg price guides, but I don't know if your particular locomotive would be in the Ives price guide or the American Flyer price guide. Ives was forced into bankruptcy in 1928 and the company sold, jointly to American Flyer and Lionel, former competitors, according to Wikipedia.  Here is a link:
You also might find more information from the Train Collector's of America  Ives also has a collector interest group.
There was a American Flyer 4664 that sold with three cars in 2013 on eBay for $836.39 and there is a note indicating that the #4664 is actually the part # just for the part on which it was stamped..  Here is that link:
Here is another auction you might watch to see how this locomotive sells,
Hope this helps.  Frank.

Model Railroads

Frank Edgcombe

I CAN NOT DIAGNOSE equipment problems or ESTIMATE DOLLAR VALUES of your equipment, by email. I have been active in model railroading for forty years. I can answer, or find answers, to questions on most aspects of model trains, railroad equipment or buildings. I have a good knowledge of prototype railroads. I have been employed by five model railroad equipment manufacturers/suppliers and worked for a prototype railroad. I have served, twice, as the president of a local model railroad club. I have been employed as a Reference Librarian, at a university, for the last fifteen years and am used to tracking down resources for patrons.