Model Railroads/running multiple engines

Question
I am getting back into the hobby of HO model trains and have always wondered how you are able to run multiple engines together on the same track...similar to how the real trains have more than one engine pulling the railcars.

I have looked for a combo pack which would feature one power- train engine attached to a dummy engine...but these can't be found.  Therefore, can you attached multiple engines and run them on the same track?

Answer
Hello Rex,

Yes you can run multiple units at the same time. However, there's two conditions to do this. The first one is the size
and wattage of your transformer. You will need at least, an MRC model 2500 or larger power transformer for it to run
powered unit of no more than 2-3 engines hooked up. The second condition will be the engines are "speed-checked".
Which means they run at the same speed as the other engine or engines. If they don't match speed, then one or two of
the engines will compete against each other and either cause a derailment or a power short.

One way to avoid this, is to purchase matching engines from the same manufacturer. For example, buy two or three Atlas
diesels or Athearn, etc. The gearing in each engine can work for you or against you. Trial testing will be the best method.
On my test oval, I can run an Athearn SW-1500 with and F-7 with effortless results. They run in tandem. I hope this answers
your question.

John Schaub
www.modelrailroadsbyjohn.com

Model Railroads

John Schaub