Model Railroads/Lionel MKT 600

Question
I got this engine and it was really in tough shape. I have it cleaned up pretty well. The problem is it won,t move. The directional part of it works and there is power to the brushes. I cleaned the armeture up with a pencil eraser and it looks good. I chevked windings the best I could with ohms meter which shows 0001 and I think this is where it should be. The armeture I,am not sure how to check.Any information will be helpful.

Answer
Depending on how long this engine has been sitting around. Chances are the oil and grease has turned to sludge.
Cleaning the armature with a eraser tip is sort of okay. Make sure there's no fibers from the eraser on the on that
area of the armature. If you're getting power from the reverse lock mechanism and no movement. Chances something
is wrong with the drive line on the locomotive. Using straight 5 weight oil. You will find on the motor a few places to
add some oil to the motor. The armature shafts needs to be lubricated. Make sure the oil penetrates that area for about
an hour or two. Stand it up on end so the oil can get in the shaft and bearing area. You should be able to turn that assembly
with out any electricity. If it resists, let the oil do it's work. It might need another dose of oil. No more than 3 drops for the
time being. If this idea fails. You will need to lubricate the trucks. All the axles need to be lubricated with a dab of grease..
The worm gear connected from the motor to the drive gear on the engine needs white lithium grease. If that mechanism
turns freely, you're closer to having an operating engine. Let me know your results. Hope this helps you with your engine.

John Schaub
modelrailroadsbyjohn.com

Model Railroads

John Schaub