Model Railroads/lionel diesel engine

Question
QUESTION: i just received a 75th anniversary u36b diesel. when i turn it on it sounds very loud and scratchy. it runs but sounds bad. what would be some of the causes. thanks so much

ANSWER: Hi William,

First question to you, is this a brand new engine or a used engine?
Are you running it in a traditional mode (transformer) or in command control (digital)?
Typically, when a Lionel engine has that issue. It's dirty track. Or dirty pick-ups on the
engine itself, Be sure to clean both items properly, the problem should resolve itself.

Other issue could be the volume control is way up to full. The knob is usually a steel
pin with a slot in the middle of it. Just like a slotted metal screw. That controls the volume.
Turn it about a 1/4 of an inch either way.

Recheck the sound.

That should solve the problem.

Good luck and me know how it went.

John Schaub
www.modelrailroadsbyjohn.com

QUESTION: It's from 1975 and it is run from a transformer. The track and contacts are good, but not sure where at on the train is the volume control. Also,what are the signs of a motor going bad of any

Answer
Check your instruction book that came with the engine. That should help you find the sound volume adjustment.
An engine from 1975 might need to be overhauled at this time. All low-voltage electric motors need to be cleaned
and lubricated. The internal parts of the motor on a toy train do wear out. Please check on-line for a qualified Lionel
Service Center. There's a directory in OGR O-Gauge Rail Magazine. You may find a good source to have the engine taken
care of.

Model Railroads

John Schaub