Model Railroads/another question

pic 1
pic 1  

I picked up the #205 connector, wired it and wired both frogs. Got them all working. My first question is when the engine comes out of the turn (I added 1 straight track after the turn - then the first frog)and gets to the frog, it either turns toward the yard ( regardless of direction of the frog) or it bumps off the track. Mostly it turns toward the yard even if the frog is in the straight direction. It does the same when it comes to the second frog also. Is there any type of adjustment for the frogs or is this a typical problem with n guage frogs? Lastly, is there a problem running the wires under the track like I have them? The engines I'm using are about 40 years old and sometimes seem to be very slow until they "warm up". I'm not sure if there is an electrical issue or just age. I'm trying not to add anything else to the underside of the table unless I have to.  It needs to be as portable as possible since I live in a small condo and I need to move it off the table frequently. It is a small project for myself and my grandson. Thank you again for all your help!!!

Hello Noel,

Sounds like a few problems.

1- Couplers are drooping and hanging up on the switch points
2- Make sure switch points (turnout rails) are set for the direction you want the engines to go.
3- The age of the engines could be a problem. The wheels on the engine could be out of gauge. They've become
worn and either too narrow or spread out. The depth of the wheel flanges may be too large for the turnouts.
4- Engines may need light lubrication on the axles. And I would clean the wheels on the engines as you may have bad
electrical contact.
5- If other equipment has the same difficulties, then your track may be out of gauge. Or the track points (track switch)
is not working properly.

See what happens,

John Schaub

Model Railroads

John Schaub

I can answer the following questions: Almost anything about the hobby, except complex electrical questions. Anything about table construction, model kit building, layout scenery, weathering and painting, adding lighting to structures and scenery. I cannot answer questions about the value or appraisal of an item through an e-mail question. The only true method to valuation is having the item in front of me. I will not answer any questions about complex wiring for signals, DCC, or switch motor installations.

Model railroader since childhood. And that's quite a few years ago. My experience includes: Planning, Design, Benchwork Construction, Trackwork, Conceptualizing the placement of the basic scenic shell and future structure placement. Developing a "vision" of what the layout' them will be. Historical research. Model builder. Painter, Detailer and Weathering. Scenery Artisan, Model train room decorator. Freight car builder. Engine detailer. Turned my passion for model railroading to a full time career in 1998. I now design, build and construct model railroads. Focusing my skills on planning and design, model kit building services, scenery and structure installations, painting, weathering and detailing.

Manchester Chamber of Commerce. Rutland Railway Association.

Classic Toy Trains, January 2013

Self-taught Model Railroader turned professional consultant New York Institute of Technology, Communication Arts Degree C.W. Post College, Computer Graphics-Desktop Publishing Certificate Program Molloy College, MacIntosh Computer Studies-Certificate Program

Sorry, I can not reveal their names. I will tell you that my clients range from 5 year olds to 75 year olds. My layout commissions are in private homes, hobby shops, hotel lobbies, libraries, museums and historical societies.