Model Railroads/motor shaft moves drive shat does not.

Question
How do we keep the drive shafts from turning on the motor shafts; I intend to try it with super glue or thread lock (red).  Opinions?
this is an athern or bachmann train with a can motor and as it gets rolling it slows down because the drive shaft is slippin on the metal motor shaft thatis holding it.

Answer
Hi Jerry,

This is a classic problem with these engines. Chances are the problem may be in the drive gears located
in the trucks of the engine. Without having the engine in front of me, this is purely a hypothetical opinion.
Check the gears inside the tower of the trucks. Make sure they're turning freely and have no form of binding
in either direction. Check and see if the axles are true and not warped. Make sure the wheels are in proper
gauge spec with an NMRA clearance gauge. That's a starting point for the diagnostics of this problem. Axles
should be clear of dust, pet hair, carpet fibers, etc. Clean the journals of the axles and add a drop of 5W oil
to each axle. The gear towers could use a light coat of 5W oil inside the tower on the gears and make sure the
gear bearings are lightly lubed. I stress lightly lubed. Run the engine from with out the body of the frame.
You may see a difference in the performance. Run it slow and change the direction during the break-in period.
Let me know how you do with this.

Good luck,

John Schaub
www.modelrailroadsbyjohn.com

Model Railroads

John Schaub