Model Railroads/Tunnel Shapes.

Question
Dear Charles

Can we Design tunnels without a circular shape?.

Examples - Triangle, Square, Rectangle, Kite, Rhombus etc

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Greetings Prashant,

Although I do not have training in the engineering designs of tunnels, I have read some about the strength of various shapes for arches.

I rule out the square and rectangle because of the weight distribution on a horizontal brace.  The use of a kite shape, (if I understand your meaning) might have some useful advantage but has the disadvantages of the loss of use of the bottom part of the shape.

The Rhombus shape is intriging but suffers the same loss of use as the kite.

I believe that the circular shaped tunnel is the best for utilization of space and suitability for overall strength.  I would however investigate adding the pointed arch as in Gothic design as a modification to the top portion.

You must remember that these are my own thoughts and not from an accomplished engineer.

Best Regards
Charles

Model Railroads

Charles Campbell