Model Railroads/running accessories

Question
setting up layout for grandchildren. has coal elevator,log ramp, coal ramp and sawmill. do i need seperate transformers for each. i have one 80 watt to run the train. what other transformers would i need. i know very little about the power setup

Answer
Hello William,

Thank you being patient with answering your questions.
I just finished a Lionel layout for a client here in Vermont.
Here's what we need to review on your questions. Providing
the accessories are in good working order; they should work
fine with the accessory posts on the Lionel CW-80 transformer.

Here's the way you will need to check them first before installing
them. If you have a voltage meter that reads 100 volts or less, use
it to check the voltage coming out of the accessory side of the transformer.

Knowing that is okay, make a test lead of wires from each operating accessory
and touch the terminals with the wires momentarily. if the item responds properly,
move to the next item. Some of the older accessories need to be cleaned and  lubricated
properly for reliable operation.  If they've been in storage for a prolonged period of
time, they need to be serviced.

After the completion of testing them, they can be installed on the layout. I would use
a mometary switch to operate them. Wire leads should be fresh wire. Use stranded 18 gauge
wire sold at a hobby shop or your local home center store. Bring a sample to show them at
the store for the correct size. Color coding is a good idea (red for + and black for -).

Have fun with the train layout. I hope your grandchildren enjoy the trains as much as you do.
We need to encourage the next generation to play with toy trains.

Good luck with your project.

John Schaub
www.modelrailroadsbyjohn.com

Model Railroads

John Schaub