Model Rocketry/stages vs. clustering

O. Lee James, III NAR 15058 SR L0 wrote at 2012-11-09 01:26:59
The Competition Consortium has, in one place, everything you need to know to succeed in NAR model rocket competitoin:

Model Rocketry

Dave Landgraf

I will be happy to take on questions about low-power rocketry in general, including rocket design, operating characteristics of blackpowder motors, low-power motor selection, rocket construction, aerodynamics, parachute and streamer duration competition, boost glide (and a little rocket glide), egg loft, altitude competition, and scale competition. I can help you with Barrowman stability calculations, but I am not a rocksim user. I know the basics of mid-power rocketry and small composite motors but I don't fly them much (I'd rather stretch my money by sticking with low-power). I believe I can explain many concepts in a way that just about anyone can follow (and maybe even over-explain?). I absolutely do not mind "newbie" questions one bit; the only bad question is the one you don't ask!

I have flown model rockets for some 40 years, including a few early years of NAR competition. I have been active at the local club level as well as in the NAR. I enjoy designing and developing unconventional designs (the kind of thing you look at and say "it won't fly!").

National Association of Rocketry

Model Rocketry (magazine)

I am an aerospace engineer who has worked professionally in the field for over 30 years. I have worked often with local school, church, and scout groups to lead introductory build-n-fly sessions.