Models/Plastic & Resin Model Kits

Most model kits are made of plastic and some are made of resin.  What is the difference? The resin kits seem to cost more.

I thank you for your reply.

The biggest difference besides the material ey are made of is how they are made.  Plastic kits are injection molded, softened plastic is injected into metal molds in high pressure, then allowed to cool before demolding.  Resin kits are poured into RTV silicone molds. The resin is a two part system that only sets when the two parts are mixed together.  

Another big difference is that plastic kits are built using a glue that welds the two plastic parts together, while resin kits must have their parts mechanically adherded to each other with cyanoacrylates or epoxy cements.

Dr. John F. Steinman

I can answer all questions related to the art of modeling land based military miniatures. I can also answer, to a limited degree, the art of model photography.

I have been building and showing scale military models for over 35 years. I am a regular contributor to Military Miniatures in Review, a quarterly publication dedicated to the art.

I have been a contributing author for the magazine Military Miniatures in Review for the past five years. I also contribute to Tamiya Model Magazine and AFV Modeler.

I have completed postdoctoral training in orthodontics.

I have received numerous gold, and best of category, as well as Best of Show, awards at both the local and national level.