Mold/the best way to test myself?

Hi: I think I have mould. I spoke to someone on this site, they said to get an inspector. I will but to put my mind at ease I would like to do something myself. What is a relatively inexpensive way to test for mould? I see a 14 dollar kit at the hardware store, would that be a waste of time? and what about the wood damp tester they sell on ebay for about 10 dollars? What do you think?

Hi Penny, you can buy a test kit at the hardware store and test for mold yourself according to the instructions on the package. You can also use a visual test yourself. The following web sites have pictures of different molds on them that you can use to identify the mold you may have. and Some molds are invisible so for 100% assurance you may want to buy and use a test kit. Good luck! Daniel  

Daniel Cetrone

I am probably able to help you understand the mold problem you are having, why it is happening and what to do about it! Most mold problems small, thus easy and simple to remediate. Large mold problems are a different case! They can cause an entire home to be unhabitable!

I am a residentail contractor with 29 years or experience remodeling, repairing and building homes. Throughout many of those I handled insurance damage restoration and remediation projects.

Fitchburg State College, Secondary Education Major, Industrial Ars specialty 1975 Water Damage Restoration certification from (IICRC) Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification 2000