Mold/Black Mold in Incoming water pipes

Question
Not only have we developed black mold in our out going drains but it is in our shower head and several of our incoming pipes to our sinks. How can we get rid of this? Thank you for your time.

Catie

Answer
Hi Catie, this is not a good thing and you will likely need to have a professional certified mold remediation person resolve this problem. You may also want to contact whoever provides your water be it a city or town water district and inform them what is happening. Others may be effected by the problem and they may have a solution to the problem.
Is the mold forming at the end of the kitchen sink faucet where the water comes out of the spout? If it is don't drink the water coming out of the kitchen faucet. Drink bottled water until this is resolved.
One thing you can do yourself is remove the shower head and soak it in a mixture of 20% bleach and 80% water and 1/2 ounce of detergent. That should clean the mold out of the shower head.
Here are a couple of government web sites that can offer you more information as to what to do about mold.
www.epa.gov/mold and www.cdc.gov/mold
Good Luck, Daniel

Mold

Daniel Cetrone