Mold/Mold on Garage Roofs

How can I get rid of mold on large single story homes and garage roofs. I need to know of a product (if any) that will remove the mold and a little discoloration of the shingles from the drip off of trees. Is there a solution I can apply that will lessen the need to physically scrub the shingles?

Hi Kenneth, wow what a good question! I have not had that one before from anyone at All However, I have had it from customers of mine over the years. I live 20 miles west of Boston and we have thousands of homes in our area with exactly the same problem. I have talked to some people in various fields about this. Some say "power wash" the roof but that can damage the shingles. Some say "spray it with a bleach solution" but that can damage shrubs and plants around the house. Others say "install a copper ridge vent on the peak of the roof" slowly rain falling on the copper will cause the mold to disappear. One of my suppliers sells "Wet and forget" he says try that. I have not tried it yet it is expensive I can't imagine how much it would cost to spray the entire roof. So, that leaves the question what do we do with the mold, discoloration and in the case of roof in our area lichen, moss and algae growing on the shingles!
You can try this product. I have not tried it yet however if you do, please let me know how it worked for you on your house and garage in Michigan!
For more information on mold you can check out or
Good Luck with your roof mold problem. Daniel

Daniel Cetrone

I am probably able to help you understand the mold problem you are having, why it is happening and what to do about it! Most mold problems small, thus easy and simple to remediate. Large mold problems are a different case! They can cause an entire home to be unhabitable!

I am a residentail contractor with 29 years or experience remodeling, repairing and building homes. Throughout many of those I handled insurance damage restoration and remediation projects.

Fitchburg State College, Secondary Education Major, Industrial Ars specialty 1975 Water Damage Restoration certification from (IICRC) Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification 2000