Mold/Mole/mildew Smell

Question
I smell mold or mildew in my dining room and I cannot find the source.  There have been no water leaks that I know of, though I have not ventured under the house.  I have a raised foundation. The smell is less prominent when I get down and smell the carpet.  There are no stains on the walls or ceiling.  The refrigerator with ice-maker is on the opposite wall, but I do not detect the odor in the kitchen.  Is there something else I should do before calling a professional?

Answer
Hi Randy, how is the weather where you are in CA? I am 20 miles west of Boston and it is damp here. If you have a "musty" smell then it is likely to be mold "off gassing" so further investigation is required. Have you pulled out the refrigerator to look behind and under it?
Do that first. Second go under the floor in the crawl space and carefully investigate with a good powerful flashlight. Mold needs three things; air, moisture and a food source. If the smell is coming from mold, those three things are present somewhere.
You can also go to Lowes Home Depot or a hardware store and buy a (mold test kit) and use it in the dining room in different areas to pin point possible sources. For more information log onto www.gov.epa/mold and www.gov.cdc/mold

Good Luck, Daniel

Mold

Daniel Cetrone