Mold/Potential Mold in basement

Question
Hi Daniel- over the past month whenever it rains we get water in basement. It's getting worse and worse so we have a professional planned to come over and to prevent it for the future. My question is; with all the water cleared out (no carpets) we have dirt all over (from the previous water in basement) spread throughout the basement. What needs to be done from there to prevent mold from taking over the basement?

Answer
Hi Jim, Anything on the floor that got wet needs to be removed and cleaned thoroughly because it probably has mold spores on it. It you had any cardboard boxes or other paper items that got wet, they need to be discarded. The floor itself needs to be cleaned and treated with an anti microbial treatment to kill any mold that may exist on the floor. Then it needs to be dried This process is something you can do it you know what you are doing and have the equipment to do it. Or you can hire a professional water damage restoration professional.
It would take some time for me to explain it to you. But I recommend two web sites that are better at it and have more information about the cleaning and prevention of mold in a basement. Here they are; www.gov.epa/mold and www.gov.cdc/mold Check these to and you should be good to go!
Good Luck, Daniel

Mold

Daniel Cetrone