We just recently moved into a apartment that when it rains one area of the apartment gets soggy carpet. The people that run the place just get a wet vac and the carpet is still soggy. I am thinking that there must be mold even though it does not smell. The carpet at this point has been wet for 5 days, come to find this has been an ongoing problem here. I know it is pollen season, but I have never had allergies and now it seems that I do non stop since we have been here. My husband who has mild allergies can't even wake up in the morning, he is coughing from down deep even at night, sore throat and congestion.
Any information you could give me would be appreciated! Thank you!
Hi Susan, if the carpet has been wet for five days or more you very likely have mold. By the way not all mold is visible. The home owner cannot properly extract enough water/moisture to prevent mold from growing.
It would have to be completely and quickly dried out by a professional in order to prevent mold from growing. Also the pad cannot be dried out it must be replaced no matter what. This dry out process takes specialized extraction equipment and a trained technician to do it. The carpet & pad under it needs to be completely removed NOW! The source for the leak needs to be found out and stopped. Then new carpet can be installed safely. If you and your husband cannot breath normally in the apartment it is time to find a new place to live. Consult with a medical doctor about this if you wish. Your situation sounds very serious to me from what you described.
www.gov.epa/mold and www.gov.cdc/mold are sources of further information on mold.