Mold/Efflorescence or mold?

Hi, I have spent most of the past 10 years living in a small bedroom (10ft x 10ft), with little ventilation as I kept the windows and doors closed. There has been a white chalky bloom on my walls for as long as I remember. It has never got any worse than you can see in the attached pictures. Cleaning it is quite difficult, I used hot soapy water with a little bleach and wiped with a towel and gave it some elbow grease. 3 of the walls are plaster on brick, the 4th is just a thin partition wall after an extension, and the plaster is painted directly (no paper). All walls are affected by the bloom. Is this mold, or just a stain of some kind? I am a non-smoker. Thanks!

Hi Barry it is hard for me to determine just from your description and the pictures if it is mold. I suggest that you purchase a mold test kit, follow the instructions and test the walls for mold. You need to no exactly what it is before doing anything. Other tan that you may want to ventilate the room in some way. Stale air is generally not healthy.
Let me know what the test results are and we can go from there. Daniel

Daniel Cetrone

I am probably able to help you understand the mold problem you are having, why it is happening and what to do about it! Most mold problems small, thus easy and simple to remediate. Large mold problems are a different case! They can cause an entire home to be unhabitable!

I am a residentail contractor with 29 years or experience remodeling, repairing and building homes. Throughout many of those I handled insurance damage restoration and remediation projects.

Fitchburg State College, Secondary Education Major, Industrial Ars specialty 1975 Water Damage Restoration certification from (IICRC) Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification 2000