You are here:

Mold/Rehab and Flooding


Hi Daniel,

We recently purchased an older house and are having a contractor doing rehab work before we move in, including, replacing the bathrooms and kitchen, removing some walls, tiling and painting, etc., Sometime, Tuesday night, a recently installed valve broke on the second floor, flooding the home down to the basement.  When I went into the house yesterday morning it was devastating.  The contractor said he would take care of the problem.

My problem is I donít know what to ask him to do to ensure and guarantee that I donít have mold in the future, after he leaves, or if the wooden floors warp or creak.  I donít even know what other issues or potential problems I should discuss with him to protect myself.  For example, could the house wiring have been affected?

Any advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Steven, wow I have not heard of a situation like this happening. I am sorry it happened to you and your contractor. Water damage restoration and drying out should be done by professionals who specialize in this. They should be certified to do what they do by the IICRC. You can check that out online it is a training institute to educate people in the specifics of drying and restoration work when a flood happens. Your contractor may or may not have this expertise. If he does not I would not let him do the drying and restoration work in your home. You should seek a professional to look at the house and make an assessment of the water damage and advise you as to what to do. I would do that for you but I am 25 miles west of Boston, MA. I'm sure there are professionals who do this in your area. You can try Service Master or Paul Davis Restoration.
Good luck, Daniel  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Daniel Cetrone


I am probably able to help you understand the mold problem you are having, why it is happening and what to do about it! Most mold problems small, thus easy and simple to remediate. Large mold problems are a different case! They can cause an entire home to be unhabitable!


I am a residentail contractor with 29 years or experience remodeling, repairing and building homes. Throughout many of those I handled insurance damage restoration and remediation projects.

Fitchburg State College, Secondary Education Major, Industrial Ars specialty 1975 Water Damage Restoration certification from (IICRC) Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification 2000

©2017 All rights reserved.