Hi My name is Alison and I'm 16. I found out about this website online and I really needed help on how to approach something. My mother is a drunk and a drug addict and always has been since I can remember. She has had many different boyfriends and men living with us all the time. I was molested many times when I was younger by these men. I tried to tell her but she either didn't listen or was to drunk to care. I was also raped when I was 13 by a boyfriend of hers, I went to school and told and she made me tell them I was lying. Every time I tried to convince her to believe me she would laugh and say it was part of growing up and I had to learn how to be a woman. Which I know is bullshit. I've done my best to handle everything going that happened to me on my own but now I don't know what to do. My little sister Ariel, she is 7, came to me yesterday and told me that my mothers current boyfriend has been touching her and making her do things to him. I have been freaking out and I don't know what to do. I have done my best to protect her so what happened to me wouldn't happen to her. She said she went and told my mother but she didn't believe her, not surprising. I want to help my sister but I don't know how and I don't know who to tell. We have no other family and if we go to the police they'll put us into foster care and split us up and I can't let that happen. My sister counts on me to take care of her and I can't let her down. What should I do?

Alison, I don't know how to advise you specifically, as laws vary from state to state, but you do need to get your sister away from this environment. Yes, you may get split up, but if you can tough it out for 2 years, you may be able to take custody of her again, but there are many variables involved here. If it goes that way, insist on being with your sister and see if they can accommodate that request.

Try the site for possible local support suggestions. You need to have your own sexual traumas addressed with some effective healing/therapy sessions, so you don't carry this into adulthood. I'm sorry that your mother is doing such a poor job of taking care of you both and of herself. CPS may be your only local options.

It is heart-breaking to hear these stories when children have so few safe options, in these situations. If you go to the police, be sure that they know about your assaults as well as your sister's. It sounds like everyone there needs a big wake-up call.

Be strong, be brave and do whatever it takes to keep you and your sister safe from these sexual predators and your dysfunctional mother.

William Silver


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


William Silver


I can address all questions about physical, sexual, emotional trauma and how to eliminate the effects from your life. I specialize in assisting clients with a 1 to 3-hour session that can discharge all of the negative feelings around any type of emotionally based problem. I can direct you to some websites where you can download information to assist you and your loved ones with emotional problems. I can also assist directly on the phone or via email, in addition to personal sessions, here in San Diego, California. I am not a licensed therapist, lawyer or law enforcement officer.


I have been a holistic health therapist for a total of over 15 years, specializing in anxiety-phobia, trauma release work.

TFT/EFT training, Cranio-Sacral Therapy, SHEN, Reiki, Hypnotherapy.

©2017 All rights reserved.