Monitors/Single MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 Graphics Card for 1440p?

Question
Hi there,
I am building a new pc. I have gathered all my components and I am happy with what I have as of now.
All.. except for one crucial part.
I have an ASUS VH236HD now. It is 1920 x 1080 pixels.
In my build, I have a single MSI NVIDEA GTX 970.
I was thinking of buying a 1440p monitor, for an obvious graphical improvement.
But, I don't know if a single gtx 970 will run games like The Witcher 3 or GTA V at ultra/full settings on 1440p

What are your thoughts?
Should I stay with 1080p ASUS monitor or upgrade?
Will there be a huge fps drop? I am looking to play games at over 30 fps.
Update: So far the components I am looking to get are:

MSI NVIDEA GTX 970
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7 i7-4790K CPU

Answer
I wouldn't regard a change from 1080p to 1440p to be an "obvious graphical improvement" - it is a higher resolution but that does not, directly, mean higher video quality. If the screens have similar pixel pitch, the higher resolution monitor will just be bigger, and if they are similarly sized (it isn't possible for them to be both) the higher resolution monitor will just be finer (which may not even be noticeable with video/game content). This is just something to keep in mind. If you're after a really big screen, you may just consider a big HDTV and be through with it.

As far as the performance drop, the 970 should be capable of 1080p or 1440p in GTA5 (source: http://www.techspot.com/review/991-gta-5-pc-benchmarks/page3.html and http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gta_v_pc_graphics_performance_review,6.html), although you may find yourself lowering a few settings here and there (it looks like it is able to maintain an average of around 50 FPS at 1600p; that may go higher or lower during certain points in the game). The Witcher 3 will be somewhat more demanding, and you may have to lower settings a tad bit more:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/the_witcher_3_graphics_performance_review,6

Either way, its fair to say the GTX 970 could handle either resolution you've selected, especially if you don't need to run the game at absolute maximum settings with additional IQ enhancements (this doesn't mean you have to run at full minimum settings - there's a huge delta inbetween). 1080p will be "safer" but that isn't to say 1440p will be unplayable.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

-bob

Monitors

Bobbert