Monroe, Marilyn/Influences and Accomplishments of Marilyn Monroe

Marilyn Monroe has been a great impact on people during the time she lived and even now. My question is what shaped Monroe's life and left an everlasting effect on her life and working method?

Also, in your opinion, what would be Marilyn's important accomplishments?

Hi Nitasha,

Thank you for the question. Like most people, Marilyn’s childhood was shaped the way she looked at the world as an adult. As you’re probably aware, Marilyn spent time in foster homes and an orphanage. She tried to live with her mother at one point, but during that time her mother suffered a mental breakdown and was subsequently institutionalized.

As a result, Marilyn suffered from fear of abandonment and developed a strong desire to help the underprivileged. Here’s a short list of some of the charities she helped out during her lifetime:
1951: Marilyn gives acting coach Natasha Lytess $1,000 to help purchase a house.
1953: Marilyn and Jane Russell sang at the Hollywood Bowl to benefit underprivileged children.
1954: Marilyn sang to American troops in Korea in near-freezing weather.
1955: Marilyn and Jane Russell help out WAIF, an organization that placed abandoned children with families.
1955: Rides a pink elephant at a benefit for the Arthritis and Rheumatism Foundation.
1957: Donates proceeds from “The Prince and the Showgirl” premiere to the Milk Fund for Babies.
1958: Models for the March of Dimes fashion parade to benefit victims of polio.
1960: Marilyn anonymously donates money to a “Let’s Make Love” crewmember to cover his wife’s funeral expenses.
1962: Marilyn donates $10,000 to an orphanage in Mexico.
1962: Marilyn throws out the first pitch at Dodger Stadium on June 1 to benefit muscular dystrophy. It is her 36th birthday and her last public appearance. She died two months later on August 5.
1962: In her will, Marilyn left a significant portion of her estate to her former psychoanalyst, Dr. Marianne Kris, with the stipulation that the money “be used by her for the furtherance of the work of such psychiatric institutions or groups as she shall elect.” Dr. Kris gave this money to a child therapy center in London in honor of Marilyn’s love for children.

Obviously, her generosity had a great impact on people during her lifetime. In my opinion, these are among her greatest accomplishments. There were, however, other—more professional—accomplishments as well.

For example, she was one of the first women to start a production company, she won a successful strike against 20th Century-Fox and received more control over her career (later artists owe her a huge debt for this), she won a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy (“Some Like it Hot”) and studied with Lee Strasberg of the famed Actors Studio.

As for Marilyn’s working method, she was what we’d now call a workaholic. Much of her free time was devoted to activities that would help her improve at the craft of acting. That included acting lessons, singing lessons, dance lessons, grammar and speech exercises, and going over lines.

I’m not sure if that answers your question or not. If you need more information, please don’t hesitate to check back with me. I’d be happy to help!

Monroe, Marilyn

Elisa Jordan

I can answer questions pertaining to almost all aspects of Marilyn’s life and career. I’m familiar with her movies, training, and accomplishments and can also field inquiries regarding her childhood, relationships (romantic, friendships and otherwise), emotional and medical ailments, and what she was like in general. I am a fan of Marilyn Monroe and her work. I am not a memorabilia dealer and cannot give you estimates on Marilyn merchandise or collectibles. Thank you for understanding.

I’ve been a Marilyn Monroe fan since the early 1980s and grew up watching her films on television. I’ve spent countless hours researching her and have built up an extensive library on all things Marilyn. As a Southern California native, I have been able to easily visit and photograph many of the sites that played important roles in Marilyn’s life, such as houses, studios, restaurants, her grave, and so on. Furthermore, I have visited sites in San Diego, Reno/Dayton, and New York City that were homes or filming sites—allowing me to retrace many of Marilyn’s steps, literally.

I write original articles about Marilyn Monroe on I currently give tours of historical sites associated with Marilyn Monroe through my boutique tour company, L.A. Woman Tours. Check the website for upcoming tour dates: