Moody Blues/Octave

Moodyjoe wrote at 2014-11-30 11:17:16
Tracy has it pretty much spot on

Decca Records had more or less 'ordered' the band back together after 'Caught Live Plus Five' had sold well, thus the band was not really in any proper shape to reform - Mike was least keen.

The troubles that befell them, studio fire, landslides, etc seemed a portent of doom re the project, plus Tony and Mike's marital problems too...

the songs were only partly new - Mike's one contribution dated back to 1976 around the time of 'The Promise' solo album, while Ray's two songs sound very 'solo' efforts, and Justin's 'Top Rank Suite' also seems very much a 'solo' type song as opposed to one of his 'Moodies songs'

For me the last three songs on each side of the album 'flow' beautifully but the first two on each side sound somewhat disjointed as if the album is partly 'thrown together' with the band only properly finding it's feet part way through the project

Mike dropped out of the sessions midway through, tho' probably he is on; 'Steppin in A Slide Zone' (the intro sounds very much like Mike), 'Driftwood' (he is credited as playing on that track), 'I'll Be Level With You'(the instrumental climactic ending sounds very much like Mike's work), 'Survival', 'The Day We Meet Again' (which was cut first) & of course his own song...

Mike probably was involved with Justin's 'Had To Fall in Love' even tho' he had difficulty putting any keyboards to it (some subliminal keyboard work is featured) so later talk of his contribution to the album being minimal is probably incorrect.

Tony Clarke's majestic production work gives the finished product a 'Moodies sheen' that helps unify a rather disjointed in places work

The album sold exceedingly well, slicing effortlessly through punk's (supposed) domination in the UK to chart highly even though all was not well in the group at the time

Mike later said 'Octave' was an album he just didn't believe in...however with the Moodies classics; 'Driftwood', 'The Day We Meet Again', 'Survival', and Mike's superb swansong; 'One Step Into The Light' plus John's 'Slide Zone' the album IS in truth very strong on excellent songs

Moody Blues

Tracy Zimmermann