Moody Blues/Irony?

Dr. T wrote at 2013-01-04 11:03:06
I wish I could remember where I saw John in the interview in which he addressed the meaning of this song, but he actually did. I'm guessing it might be on the "Legend of a Band" video? I haven't read as widely as Tracy, so there are only a few places I might have seen it, and I'm remembering it as an actual televised interview.  Anyway, he said that he wrote this song about theh mudslides during the time they were recording the album, and therefore much of what seems symbolic (such as his being in a limo) is literal. He and someone else (I can't remember who, but I don't think it was a band member) were in a limo that started sliding. So, he wrote this song. The fact that it metaphorically addresses so much that was going on emotionally at the time is wonderful, I think. But my memory was that at least in the interview, he was talking very literal-- a scary experience.  Check out the "Legend of a Band" video and see if maybe it's on there.

Lawrence Simmons wrote at 2014-05-26 22:08:14
I stumbled upon this site, whilst seeking a specific answer myself about the origin of "Steppin' In A Slide Zone." Years ago I read an interview with Lodge (I vaguely remember it was with Hayward and Lodge), after the dawn of the web - late '90s. Lodge said "Slide Zone" was inspired by an amazing conversation with a specific physicist/scientist. He named him and I remember looking the guy up on the web and reading about his theoretical work. I probably know more Moodies lore than most, but I have not been able to recall or find the name of that scientist after exhaustive Internet searches. Does this ring a bell for anyone out there?

Moody Blues

Tracy Zimmermann

I’m pretty confident that I can answer just about any question about the band or their music you may have. I’ve been a fan since 1972 and have followed their careers (collectively and as solo artists,) closely ever since. In addition, I've amassed a vast database on all things Moody - from "completest" discographies for the band and all of their solo projects, to extensive bibliographies, videographies, posterfiles, etc. I have an extensive collection of memorabilia; both group and related solo projects. My collection includes vinyl, CDs, tapes (cassette, 8-track, and reel,) posters, shirts, sheet music and songbooks, back stage passes, magazines, books and other publications, equipment, and video. If I don’t know it, I know where to find it. All you have to do is ask!

I’ve been a fan of the band since 1972. I was a contributing editor to "Higher and Higher", the Moody Blues Magazine 1994, to the magazine’s untimely demise in 2007, writing the Videography Department.

As noted previously, much of my writing has appeared in “Higher and Higher” since 1994, but I also wrote a piece that appeared in issue #1 of Mike Pinder’s newsletter “Have You Heard”.

Though I haven’t yet finished, my educational focus is on a Journalism degree.

I've also had the good fortune to have traveled to England to catch the end of the Band's Spring 2000 concert tour; a trip I've always wanted to take. I’ve supplied research information on the band to a number of sources, including the July 5, 2004 English Quiz Show “Mastermind” which featured a contestant whose expertise was also the Moody Blues. I also participated in the UK Channel 4 presentation of the “Top Ten” program's episode on Progressive Rock, that featured the Moody Blues at #3 on their list. That program aired on March 3, 2001.