Moody Blues/DOFP Original or not.

Hey I came across your site and was just wondering if you could answer a question.
I have a copy of Days of Future Passed, cat# DES 18012. Canadian Release.
I heard that there are 2 mixes of the album, one from 67 and one from 78 (due to damage in the original tapes I believe?). Anyways I was just wondering if I had the original issue or a reissue. I don't know when the record was bought but if I were to guess sometime in the late 70's or early 80's.

Hi Shae,

Though it's difficult to say for sure without actually looking at your copy of the album, I'm sure it's safe to say that it's not the remixed release.  It's believed that Deram released at least two versions of the album in Canada; once in 1968 and another re-release in the 1980's.  (I haven't actually SEEN the later release, so I'm a bit dubious as to whether it truly exists.  Other information I have indicates that Deram Canada ceased pressing records in 1970, when London Records became the dominant label for the company there.)

I have an original 1968 Canadian release of that album:  Deram DES.18012 with red-over-white Deram Labels.  Though the back cover will have both the original Deram and London logos, the London logo does not appear on the label.  (London was the arm of the company in North America.)  Both the cover and the album will indicate that the release was printed/made in Canada (as opposed to simply "licensed to London Records of Canada").

The remix of the album came with the MFSL pressing (Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab), which was actually released in October of 1981.  (MFSL 1-042).

And you're right about that; that release was a remix because the original master recording was so damaged that the MFSL engineers had to go back to the original track tapes and remixed everything again.  Every regular CD release of the album has been from that remixed master, which is why the CD versions are (slightly) different from the original vinyl.

So, though it's tough to say whether you have an "original" original Canadian release, you do have the original mix of the album.

I hope that helps you out a bit, Shae.  Great question, and thanks for using!

Moody Blues

Tracy Zimmermann

I’m pretty confident that I can answer just about any question about the band or their music you may have. I’ve been a fan since 1972 and have followed their careers (collectively and as solo artists,) closely ever since. In addition, I've amassed a vast database on all things Moody - from "completest" discographies for the band and all of their solo projects, to extensive bibliographies, videographies, posterfiles, etc. I have an extensive collection of memorabilia; both group and related solo projects. My collection includes vinyl, CDs, tapes (cassette, 8-track, and reel,) posters, shirts, sheet music and songbooks, back stage passes, magazines, books and other publications, equipment, and video. If I don’t know it, I know where to find it. All you have to do is ask!

I’ve been a fan of the band since 1972. I was a contributing editor to "Higher and Higher", the Moody Blues Magazine 1994, to the magazine’s untimely demise in 2007, writing the Videography Department.

As noted previously, much of my writing has appeared in “Higher and Higher” since 1994, but I also wrote a piece that appeared in issue #1 of Mike Pinder’s newsletter “Have You Heard”.

Though I haven’t yet finished, my educational focus is on a Journalism degree.

I've also had the good fortune to have traveled to England to catch the end of the Band's Spring 2000 concert tour; a trip I've always wanted to take. I’ve supplied research information on the band to a number of sources, including the July 5, 2004 English Quiz Show “Mastermind” which featured a contestant whose expertise was also the Moody Blues. I also participated in the UK Channel 4 presentation of the “Top Ten” program's episode on Progressive Rock, that featured the Moody Blues at #3 on their list. That program aired on March 3, 2001.